L5 Availability

Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:55 AM

André Kamphuis:
Yeah, I know! What I have seen so far looks awesome. I am looking for good reasons to upgrade earlier, but it feels a bit odd to buy a bunch of resources in order to get the program. I am very much willing to pay for the program, but I promised myself that I won't buy more resources (especially if I don't need them). Hopefully we get the chance very soon to get the minimal cross grade.

If I am remembering correctly three years ago it took 2-3 weeks before they offered the minimal cross grade. It was part of their plan to offer in stages and not have the servers overloaded at one time.  By reports they have sold to nearly a million customers and so it potentially a lot of people to access servers and download the update. This initial kick is likely to last a month. It may go through Thanksgiving, but whatever special prices they are offering will likely be over well before Christmas. Employees will work extra hours for the next few weeks, but nobody wants to work those hours through Christmas.

I will look at the upgrade when it comes up, but not sure that I want to spend into 4 figures. There has been major changes in our life this year and it all took money.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:56 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Try to experiment with the upgrade to get all the new databases and not any books you don't need.

Should I infer from this that the new databases are something you have to pay for, i.e. required to support a feature not in the base engine?

Donnie

Posts 29590
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:59 AM

Donnie Hale:
Should I infer from this that the new databases are something you have to pay for, i.e. required to support a feature not in the base engine?

I would assume so. Logos hasn't announced a "cross grade" <yet>. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:04 PM

alabama24:

Donnie Hale:

I would assume so. Logos hasn't announced a "cross grade" <yet>. 

If we look back to Logos 4 that was the minimal crossgrade reason to exist. The engine was free but all the new databases, info-graphics, maps, Bible Things Bible People etc., were made available by the minimal crossgrade or a base package purchase.

Bohuslav

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:06 PM

Without much to go on, it sounds like the jump from Platinum to Diamond is about half of what it was to go from Platinum to Portfolio.  This seems like what one would expect.  I don't remember the release date of L4, but it seems that I remember the reduced price for upgrades lasted until January 31.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:18 PM

Regarding the "minimal crossgrade" and the possibility that pricing for it won't be announced for a couple of weeks:

a) What is a customer who already has Portfolio supposed to do? Simply wait? That's just ridiculous.

b) The Logos servers will be a lot more lightly hit by someone doing a minimal crossgrade than someone upgrading from almost anything to Diamond or Portfolio. If they are asserting that as a reason for this approach, it's either disingenuous or poorly thought out.

If sales tells me I have to wait 2+ weeks to get L5, Bob will be getting a call. ;)

Donnie

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:22 PM

Donnie Hale:
a) What is a customer who already has Portfolio supposed to do? Simply wait? That's just ridiculous.
Call sales. However you'll find that the packages have been entirely re-done, and you might be interested in upgrading, sidegrading or even (gasp) downgrading {while keeping everything you currently own of course.} (I'm not really sure a downgrade is  possible).

Donnie Hale:
If they are asserting that as a reason for this approach,
I know of no such assertion officially. I think that was a guess. 

Note: I have been wrong more than once before.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:22 PM

Donnie Hale:
What is a customer who already has Portfolio supposed to do? Simply wait?

Hi Donnie, 

It is my understanding (and someone will correct me if this is wrong) that the Portfolio package has been revised and that there is, therefore, an opportunity to 'cross-grade' in order to pick up the additional resources. I appreciate that this may still not meet your expectations/needs, but thought I would mention it.

Big Smile

[Edit: I see that TC beat me to it!]

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:24 PM

Donnie,

The portfolio package has been upgraded too. They've added/replaced some of the resources. For example, the Preaching the Word commentaries & Spurgeon collection are now a part of the package, as well as quite a few other resources. I believe T&T Clark is in the mix too.

The upgrade price from L4 Portfolio to L5 Portfolio is still quite hefty though.

Also, it's worth noting that I was given the option to upgrade to L5 Diamond from L4 Portfolio, which is a bit cheaper.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:25 PM

Andy Evans:
[Edit: I see that TC beat me to it!]
heh heh heh.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:26 PM

TCBlack:
Donnie Hale:
Call sales. However you'll find that the packages have been entirely re-done, and you might be interested in upgrading, sidegrading or even (gasp) downgrading {while keeping everything you currently own of course.} (I'm not really sure a downgrade is  possible).

I understand that we can--because the base packages have been totally revamped.  There will be new designations for the packages themselves (some will keep their names) and new/varied resource offerings.  I'm pretty excited to see the new revamping with the sheep quit getting shorn and we can browse to our hearts content--and wallet's depletion.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:34 PM

TCBlack:
Call sales.

That was the first thing I did once I saw the announcement in the forums. Unfortunately, the sales staff seems to be almost as much in the dark as we are (probably more in the dark than folks who were on the beta ;).

For me, the upgrade to L5 Diamond is $1,100 and to Portfolio is $2,100. I overspend quite a bit on resources, but those packages would need to include AYB or NICNT/OT for me to be willing to spend that much money right now. I've placed ~90 orders for Logos resources in 2 years. I don't see why I should be punished because Logos hasn't done the legwork prior to launch to figure out crossgrade pricing.

Any yes, I realize that I'm both speculating and venting. ;)

Donnie

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:36 PM

Donnie Hale:
yes, I realize that I'm both speculating and venting. ;)
We still love you.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:38 PM

TCBlack:
We still love you.

I feel the love from fellow Logos forum members almost all the time. And I now know enough to avoid using the "i" word in threads in which George S. is active. ;)

Donnie

Posts 32944
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:42 PM

André Kamphuis:
I expect there is a whole bunch of customers who have already bought all they need (or can pay for).

Logos has reworked the base packages and supplementary bundles in a way that should please most of us - and not force us to but stuff we don't want. Logos 5 however does have a number of new features that run off databases that Logos has hand-coded so there is a legitimate cost to obtain the new features. I haven't seen the minimum prices for upgrading but Logos did say that the pricing structure takes into account everything you have a license for - not just your base package.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1085
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:49 PM

TCBlack:

Donnie Hale:
yes, I realize that I'm both speculating and venting. ;)
We still love you.

That brings up today's biggest question: Where in the world is KS4J? (I'm guessing ODed on L5)

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:51 PM

William Gabriel:
That brings up today's biggest question: Where in the world is KS4J? (I'm guessing ODed on L5)
Maybe, but he has a real job too now. Yes

Posts 3305
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

André Kamphuis:
I expect there is a whole bunch of customers who have already bought all they need (or can pay for).

Logos has reworked the base packages and supplementary bundles in a way that should please most of us - and not force us to but stuff we don't want. Logos 5 however does have a number of new features that run off databases that Logos has hand-coded so there is a legitimate cost to obtain the new features. I haven't seen the minimum prices for upgrading but Logos did say that the pricing structure takes into account everything you have a license for - not just your base package.

I'll with hold judgment till I see what's in the Portfolio upgrade- 2k is a lot to have to pay.

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:06 PM

LaRosa Johnson:

The upgrade price from L4 Portfolio to L5 Portfolio is still quite hefty though.

Also, it's worth noting that I was given the option to upgrade to L5 Diamond from L4 Portfolio, which is a bit cheaper.

Does anyone know about an upgrade from Logos 4 Gold to Logos 5 Gold?

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:14 PM

Dudley C. Rose:
Does anyone know about an upgrade from Logos 4 Gold to Logos 5 Gold?

There will be one. Once the Logos site is up customized upgrade pricing and the new contents should be available to you.

Logos is doing away with some collections and renaming others. Scholars 4 will become Bronze 5, but Silver, Gold, and Platinum will remain with internal content changes. Look for another collection above Platinum. All I can say now.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS