Upgrading

Page 8 of 16 (313 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 312 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 40
Rick King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:58 AM

I did have a look at Silver...  272 dollars.  One thing that is bugging me is that the new to you feature on there is WRONG.  I HAVE the New American Commentary and another one they say I don't have.  I got it in a package along the way, I think it went with the Platinum upgrade.  I suppose if there was somebody I could call and ask, that might help but I get the feeling that they are going to probably going to overload me with so much info that my head is going to implode.  I'm about there now.  So, the new to you is wrong, I am not sure just how wrong but I've found at least two things now that I have they say I don't.  Head. Desk.  At this point, I am sorry I got into this mess in the first place. 

Posts 1
Scott Carson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:04 AM

I have noticed that the new to you is wrong as well.  I have found at least 5 items I already own.  I will give them time to work out all of the bugs because the upgrade with L4 was wrong as well and when I called them it became cheaper.  

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:06 AM

Austin Preik:

Do I, or do I not have to purchase more books to get all the features Logos 5 offers? (Assuming I am gold right now)

No,  you just have to wait until the crossgrade is released and purchase the less expensive minimal crossgrade (just like with L4). I can understand users frustration at having to wait. But if you noticed what happened with the Logos servers today with just the paid upgrades just imagine what would have happened if everyone downloaded.

It also makes sense for them to try to recoup the cost of developing Logos 5. Just to give you an idea of on the of the new features check out the new Clause Search feature video. Logos made it possible to search for things even when the surface text doesn't identify it. For example you can search for Jesus, and the it will show you the result that include pronouns. Or if you search for Jerusalem it will show you when it is referred to as the "holy city" in the temptation narratives. Those are not things that could all be searched for. Logos had to pay people who know biblical languages well enough to go in and manually tag the entire Bible. That takes a lot of time and money. 

Posts 14
Austin Preik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:10 AM

Philana Crouch:

Austin Preik:

Do I, or do I not have to purchase more books to get all the features Logos 5 offers? (Assuming I am gold right now)

No,  you just have to wait until the crossgrade is released and purchase the less expensive minimal crossgrade (just like with L4). I can understand users frustration at having to wait. But if you noticed what happened with the Logos servers today with just the paid upgrades just imagine what would have happened if everyone downloaded.

It also makes sense for them to try to recoup the cost of developing Logos 5. Just to give you an idea of on the of the new features check out the new Clause Search feature video. Logos made it possible to search for things even when the surface text doesn't identify it. For example you can search for Jesus, and the it will show you the result that include pronouns. Or if you search for Jerusalem it will show you when it is referred to as the "holy city" in the temptation narratives. Those are not things that could all be searched for. Logos had to pay people who know biblical languages well enough to go in and manually tag the entire Bible. That takes a lot of time and money. 

I understand that I can keep gold level, but I want to know if Platinum, etc. . . have features included that are not included in gold.  I want the full feature set without being forced to buy books.  So, Assuming I have Logos 5 Gold, will I be missing features in the higher packages where I would also have to purchase books to get those features?

(Edit: Watching videos is too much of a time commitment on slow African internet ;) )

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:23 AM

I noticed that the data sets are available for purchase apart from bundles. 

Posts 24
Sandro Polenta | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:27 AM

Mark, I have Portfolio Edition 4 and I added a certain number of resources to it. Some of my additional resources were now integrated in L5 Portfolio upgrade. Is the personalized upgrade price excluding these resources or am I going to pay a second time for those resources?

I am also shocked by the upgrade strategy introduced. I bought the Portfolio Edition 4 two months ago.

Posts 21857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:28 AM

Hi Sandro

Sandro Polenta:
Mark, I have Portfolio Edition 4 and I added a certain number of resources to it. Some of my additional resources were now integrated in L5 Portfolio upgrade. Is the personalized upgrade price excluding these resources or am I going to pay a second time for those resources?

Your personalised upgrade price should take into account the additional resources you have purchased - you shouldn't have to pay for them again

Graham

Posts 21857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:29 AM

Hi Jacques

Jacques:

I don't see this - where did you find this?

Graham

Posts 24
Sandro Polenta | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:51 AM

Thanks Graham Smile

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:57 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Jacques

Jacques:

Graham

Graham, If you go to your upgrade page on logos.com and then hover your cursor over the Data Sets (or any other resource) you'll get a pop up window detailing the individual price and a description with picture.

I discovered this by accident myself...  I added up the data set prices and it's about $145 for all of them....  I cannot find them for individual purchase though.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 40
Rick King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:12 AM

I will have to talk to them about this data sets thing.  If that is all you need to make it all work, then 145 bucks isn't so bad a price to pay to make it all good.  If I have to buy into the new packaging system, for me the most bang for the buck and the best discount happens where I am now, Platinum.   It's 120 dollars more than Gold and Gold is where you get all the data sets.  You will have to start where you are for any future updates you might want to do and if you have not bought into the new structure, you will probably have to pay full dollar to get in later.  I am seriously going to give up on this for the night.  I was thinking of just staying up all night and waiting for them to open in the morning but there is much to do tomorrow past that. 

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:35 AM

Rick King:

I will have to talk to them about this data sets thing.  If that is all you need to make it all work, then 145 bucks isn't so bad a price to pay to make it all good.  If I have to buy into the new packaging system, for me the most bang for the buck and the best discount happens where I am now, Platinum.   It's 120 dollars more than Gold and Gold is where you get all the data sets.  You will have to start where you are for any future updates you might want to do and if you have not bought into the new structure, you will probably have to pay full dollar to get in later.  I am seriously going to give up on this for the night.  I was thinking of just staying up all night and waiting for them to open in the morning but there is much to do tomorrow past that. 

I feel your situation Rick as I am in the same boat.  I currently have L4 Platinum but since I have purchased so many resources individually it makes no good financial sense for me to get a resource oriented package.  I understand where Logos is at on this but for me much has changed since L3.  I upgraded from L3 Silver to L4 Platinum with the last release and then bought a ton of resource a la carte.  I no longer need the resources this time around so my wish list is to just keep my 4500 existing resources and get all of the new features and data sets that L5 has to offer.  

I don't want to get the Starter upgrade because even though it is only $42 for me it would gimp the feature sets.  The last thing I want to do it "upgrade" and not get the full features.  A Platinum upgrade would give me all 53 features but at $605.00 it would be overkill as I don't want the resources.....  Sigh lol

Great job team Logos I just want L5 full featured without new resources.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:45 AM

I did have a look at Silver...  272 dollars.  One thing that is bugging me is that the new to you feature on there is WRONG. I HAVE the New American Commentary and another one they say I don't have. 

Logos tell us that the sets are marked as you not having them if any element of the set is not in your collection. This may be a new edition or an extra volume. They do however assure us that every individual volume that you own is taken account of in the upgrade price quoted.

Rick King:
It's 120 dollars more than Gold and Gold is where you get all the data sets.  You will have to start where you are for any future updates you might want to do and if you have not bought into the new structure, you will probably have to pay full dollar to get in later.

As I understand it the 'new' Platinum is substantially different from the L4 Platinum.  From the price you are quoting it would seem that you already own much of what is in the new collection.

It is unfortunate that new collection designations could not have been used for the L5. It might have made the transition so much easier.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:48 AM

good to hear about the crossgrade...I'm going to go that route.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:00 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

David Ogg:

it's been said by everyone but Logos. Is this an assumption based on the way we upgraded to v4? This has been handled nothing like that time.

It has been said by folks at Logos to us MVP's.

Here's a direct quote from Phil Gons from that communication to the forum MVP's:

Minimal Crossgrade and Free Engine

We do not plan to release the minimal crossgrade or the free engine until the end of the launch promotion. The only way to get the Logos 5 engine during the launch period is to buy or upgrade to a base package.

This is a very poor decision from Logos.  For me personally I've got no issues with what it will cost me if i choose to upgrade path to match my existing base package.  I think the discounted upgrade price is very reasonable if I choose to go down that path, and generally I'm happy with the new resources I would get.  But it's more than I had planned on spending right now, particularly because I had no knowledge of the release until now.  And this is why it is such a poor decision and why I understand some users even see it as manipulative marketing.  

The minimal cross-grade and free engine upgrade should have been available from the start to allow users who decide they can't afford the package upgrade pricing to not feel left out, cheated or some of the more colourful expressions some users have chosen to display their frustration.   It's just another example of how out of touch Logos marketing is with their customer base when they make decisions like this which are clearly going to alienate and upset their customers - if they were in touch they would not make such poor marketing decisions in the first place.

I get the upgrade process, I know I am not paying for anything twice, etc, I've been around Logos a long time, but I will always think first like a customer, I'll never make excuses for what Logos do simply because they are Logos (as good as they are 99.9% of the time),  and I get why people are expressing such strong emotions over the marketing of this upgrade.  It's a real shame all the hard work put in by the developers etc in putting together Logos 5 is being lost in this sea of emotion because of marketing decisions that show a lack of respect for customer base.

Posts 3173
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:09 AM

The right thing for them to do is offer two upgrades, example:

Portfolio L5 w/ additional titles & new features

Portfolio L5 w/ just the new features for that level

I did not appreciate being forced to buy the prepubs I personally did not want to start with.

Posts 21857
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:12 AM

Kevin Taylor:

Graham Criddle:

Hi Jacques

Jacques:

Graham

Graham, If you go to your upgrade page on logos.com and then hover your cursor over the Data Sets (or any other resource) you'll get a pop up window detailing the individual price and a description with picture.

I discovered this by accident myself...  I added up the data set prices and it's about $145 for all of them....  I cannot find them for individual purchase though.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for this - interesting.

But as you note even though they are shown here there is no link from the descriptions to actually purchase them.

I also think one would need to be careful to ensure that as well as having the individual dataset one also had a package which enabled the associated function. For example, I would expect the "Reported Speech" data set to be used by the "Reported Speech Visual Filter" which is available in packages Silver and up.

Could get a little confusing!

We would need clarification from Logos to understand this a bit more I think

Graham

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:16 AM

I went ahead and purchased the upgrade. 

For what I spend on things that have no eternal value, the 400.00 is a drop in the bucket. 

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:24 AM

I'm really ashamed to be a part of the Logos community right now. I see a lot of complaining and griping and almost no thankfulness. I understand we are all concerned about getting the best bang for our buck. Let's do it! However, let's not allow our feelings to overwhelm the forums. It might be best practice to give someone a call at Logos and vent your frustrations and actually get somewhere, instead of coming onto the forums and stirring up discontentment and strife.

Let's remember we spend an insane amount of money on studying and soaking the Bible. We need to take a step back every-once-in-awhile and think about how amazingly blessed we are to be able to drop that kind of money into Bible study. When you think about it, it's unbelievable. We've got believers all around the world that are scraping by to provide for their families and we are complaining about Bible software. it really makes my stomach turn. God forgive us.

With love,
CL

Posts 19
Wim Kater | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:37 AM

logosfan:

I'm really ashamed to be a part of the Logos community right now. I see a lot of complaining and griping and almost no thankfulness. I understand we are all concerned about getting the best bang for our buck. Let's do it! However, let's not allow our feelings to overwhelm the forums. It might be best practice to give someone a call at Logos and vent your frustrations and actually get somewhere, instead of coming onto the forums and stirring up discontentment and strife.

Let's remember we spend an insane amount of money on studying and soaking the Bible. We need to take a step back every-once-in-awhile and think about how amazingly blessed we are to be able to drop that kind of money into Bible study. When you think about it, it's unbelievable. We've got believers all around the world that are scraping by to provide for their families and we are complaining about Bible software. it really makes my stomach turn. God forgive us.

With love,
CL

Yes I'm totally agree, logosfan!!

Page 8 of 16 (313 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS