B2: What happened to the default serif font? Please change it back ...

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:49 PM | Locked

Fred Greco:

I have to say that while I don't have a non-beta screenshot I can pull up, the default font does not look at good as it used to.  Here is a screenshot from the ESV:

FWIW, here's a non-beta L4 screen shot of that same passage with the default font, just for comparison:

Mine is softer and easier on the eyes, though it's subjective. Some might consider mine fuzzy/blurry and might prefer the sharper outlines of yours.

Posts 1694
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:09 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Some might consider mine fuzzy/blurry and might prefer the sharper outlines of yours.

I believe WPF 4.0 (next year) will offer some better compromise options, but even then it looks like the problem will be one of taste.

The good news is, we have the font with and without hinting, so it may be possible to offer both styles. I'm going to look into it.

(You can read more about this, and WPF 4.0's "yet another" solution, at: http://blogs.msdn.com/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx The ultimate solution is for us all to work at 200 dpi, instead of the typical 92 dpi. If you have a very high-res screen with tiny pixels (many newer laptops) you can use the "Set Program Scaling to 200%" to approximate this, and see how it makes the fonts smoother in all scenarios.)

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 7:48 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Rosie Perera:
Some might consider mine fuzzy/blurry and might prefer the sharper outlines of yours.

I believe WPF 4.0 (next year) will offer some better compromise options, but even then it looks like the problem will be one of taste.

The good news is, we have the font with and without hinting, so it may be possible to offer both styles. I'm going to look into it.

(You can read more about this, and WPF 4.0's "yet another" solution, at: http://blogs.msdn.com/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx The ultimate solution is for us all to work at 200 dpi, instead of the typical 92 dpi. If you have a very high-res screen with tiny pixels (many newer laptops) you can use the "Set Program Scaling to 200%" to approximate this, and see how it makes the fonts smoother in all scenarios.)

Bob,

I'm not sure I understand this?  Is there something new in the beta code that is changing the display?  Are you saying that the display options will change?  I'm curious, because one of the "exciting things" about Logos 4 was the display font.  Now it seems like that is lost.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 1694
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:31 PM | Locked

We started with an unhinted version of the font, which rendered through WPF with soft fuzzy edges that some people love and some people hate.

Recently the hinting was completed on the font, and we switched to it. Some love, some hate... So I'm going to look at offering both, and letting users choose, in an upcoming release.

Posts 810
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:55 AM | Locked

Great - good to know, thanks.

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:23 PM | Locked

Can't wait until we can choose. I would definitely choose the softer WPF version of the font.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS