Catholic Library = Verbum

Page 2 of 9 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:38 AM

If you arw logged in and select a package it will give a discount depending on what you own

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:47 AM

Stephen Kerr:

Hi,

I asked a related L5-Verbum question on a different post but then I saw this thread in reference to Verbum and thought it would be better posted here.

Just now learning about L5 and Verbum...I have L4 and the Catholic Scholars base package.  I know that Bob has stated that we will not have to pay for a resource twiice.  I have purchased a number of volumes on top of the base package I have...encyclicals, Pope Benedict's series, various medieval writings and commentaries, both of the PBI series (OT and NT), etc.  My question is related to how I find out what resources I would actually get and have to pay for if I upgraded to L5 and one of the new Verbum base packages...like Capstone?

It's not obvious to me on the website how that works.  And I certainly don't want to pay for something twice.

Thanks,

Steve

It looks to me that it does list the discount upgrade price when I'm logged in with my personal account.  Though it's not as obvious as it is for the other upgrade pages for the Gold etc type packages.  If you go directly to the page for Capstone it should list your discount.
http://www.logos.com/product/27997/verbum-capstone

I'm off to go to Mass, but I'll check back later to see if you found that the discounted pricing is showing up for you.

The pages need to be improved for showing what is new to you, what's new to Verbum, better comparison, better discount visibility, etc.  I've sent the information on to those who can fix it.  Hopefully it'll be soon.  :)

Thanks,
Mike

Posts 3
Deacon Tom Lang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:54 AM

I'd love to get 25% off, but it's only giving me 15% by automatically adding in a coupon code "MARSHALL."  Any idea how I can get the 25% off?  I'd buy it today! Thanks!

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:07 AM

The online "upgrade" screen only offered me a 15% discount.  That did not move me.  Eventually I just put the time into a telephone call to a human person in the Sales department, and, after being patient and kind, I was informed that I qualified for a 25% discount.  Sold!

Posts 297
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:15 AM

I'm a long time Logos user who ended up with L4 Platinum plus a lot of others.  Until recently, I bought just about everything Catholic related.  In the last six months or so, the flood (and expense) became so great I started letting some pre-pubs go.  I called Saturday morning and was able to get a good deal on Capstone and get most of the lost pre-pubs.  I would urge those considering to call and not to rely on the inconsistent pricing from the website.

Posts 15
Br. David | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:20 AM

+PAX

WOW! What an amazing flood of posts.

Just for the record, I'd also like to repeat the kudos and thanks that have been mentioned about Logos' attention to the Catholic side of things. Going through my licentiate in the Bible classes, often it was said that Protestant and Catholics can cooperate, talk, study together, etc. when it's about Scripture. Yet, as it was noted by Frank, although it's the same Scripture, there are fundamental differences in the approach - and very often in how it's interpreted. So it's a WONDERFUL thing to have all this Catholic material available! God bless those long hours at Logos.

And someone checking Forum posts on a Sunday! Thanks Mike!

Thanks also for the info about being logged in. So, I guess when it says "on sale" and gives a price, that means it's a customized upgrade price? Guess I'll be calling to see just what might be possible then.

It's also greatly comforting to know that there are really so many other Catholic Logos users.

God bless all!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:37 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:

It looks to me that it does list the discount upgrade price when I'm logged in with my personal account.  Though it's not as obvious as it is for the other upgrade pages for the Gold etc type packages.  If you go directly to the page for Capstone it should list your discount.
http://www.logos.com/product/27997/verbum-capstone

I'm off to go to Mass, but I'll check back later to see if you found that the discounted pricing is showing up for you.

The pages need to be improved for showing what is new to you, what's new to Verbum, better comparison, better discount visibility, etc.  I've sent the information on to those who can fix it.  Hopefully it'll be soon.  :)

Thanks,
Mike

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the comments.  I truly appreciate the value of Logos and the great strides the company has made in the Catholic space.  As a long time Catholic Answers listener and supporter....it was the interview that Jimmiy Akin did with Andrew Jones last year that really convinced me of the value of bible study software. 

Mike, you have really zeroed in on my question.  It is a matter of transparency...its just not there right now  I see the discount that is proposed by Logos when I select a base package, but it's just not clear what that total amount includes.  There is no tab "what's new to you" that has been referenced by other forum subscribers.  I would tell everyone reading this post, that the apparent, very generous, discounted price is twice as much as what I paid for the original Scholars base package...not counting all the resources I have added to that base package mentioned above, some of which I already have.  That does not compute.

Going from that point...and again, I already have a number of the resources that are listed in the product description for the new, re-packaged Verbum offerings.  Mind you, not everything....there is more for sure.  But I really don't know what it (the upgrade) translates to from an inventory standpoint, specifically, what is being added to my current library.  In other words, What does the upgrade consists of?  Honestly, there is no basis by which I can evaluate the upgraade offer.

Sorry, I don't have the funding to make a substantial purchase without that detail.  It doesn't work that way in my household.  (Maybe if I win the lottery!!!)

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:53 PM

john joyce:

Think you mean Tom?

Embarrassed

john joyce:
Logos have come on heaps as regards Catholic products.

Yes

john joyce:
I was pleasantly shocked to get the Verbum packages so soon after the general release of V5. Sure the site could be smarter for our products but they made a pigs ear of the whole release so can't grumble about our part of it.

Big Smile

john joyce:
Even the forums have become far more pleasant and tolerant, some of the nasty undesirables seem to have disappeared. Believe me just to be able to post you are a Catholic and not get any snide comments is an improvement on even a year or so.

Finally!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:01 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:

Don't worry Dan, the job I was hired here to do will benefit all groups.  I just focused on the Catholic products since this was context of the thread. 

I'm not worried--that was merely one of my poorer posts.  I was just listing all the various "groups" who have felt shortchanged for one reason or another.   I think Logos is doing great.   I did a poor job of trying to reassure Tom that Logos is working hard and much ground has been gained--with more to come.

Glad you are aboard!

Mike Estes - Logos:

First is the Year of Faith group in Faithlife (dedicated to reading the Cathlic Catechism during the year of faith of the Catholic Church):
https://faithlife.com/yearoffaith

Another is the newly created Verbum group on Faithlife, that is specific to the Verbum:
https://faithlife.com/verbum

pretty amazing, and glad to see these on that product.  I'm curious how that will work out.

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:12 PM

Stephen Kerr:
Mike, you have really zeroed in on my question.  It is a matter of transparency...its just not there right now  I see the discount that is proposed by Logos when I select a base package, but it's just not clear what that total amount includes. 

i don't know if I am missing you, but here is a link to the comparison of the Verbum base packages. You can expand the sections to see all the resources listed.

Stephen Kerr:
There is no tab "what's new to you" that has been referenced by other forum subscribers. 

correct, I don't see that either, and that may be because this page is not as developed as the "Logos" packages side--very unfortunately.  Hopefully you can see what is entailed, and get an idea of what you want still, compared to what you own.  I have read that soon Verbum will have it's own "copy" of the Logos store.  They are working on it.

Posts 2
Fr. Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:17 PM

Hello All,

I have found the Verbum Master to be a significant value-add to my collection, having started with the Catholic Scripture Study Library a year ago. I agree, it makes the head spin to try and deduce what the discount calculator actually does. However, my discount price was significantly less than the retail $1349 (very much so). Then a conversation with David Day added another 25% discount. Some of the new collections and datasets are amazing, which is a big help to someone like myself with no training in original languages. Included are some nice resources that are quite pricey on their own: TDNT - $200;  UBS Handbooks -$800; items in the Church Origins Collection-$179 (a little less for me while I still enjoy the academic discount).

Speaking of datasets, take a look at the L5 Feature Distribution list  and compare Gold and higher with the Features and Databases of Verbum Scripture and higher. Seems that the Catholic packages offer lower price points to owning the new datasets and tools than do the L5 packages, while not skimping on either language tools or interesting packaging of Catholic resources (as long as one does not get hung up on the names: my Scripture Study package from 2011 does not look anything like the Verbum Scripture Study package).

Tim

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:32 PM

Dan DeVilder:

i don't know if I am missing you, but here is a link to the comparison of the Verbum base packages. You can expand the sections to see all the resources listed.

Stephen Kerr:
There is no tab "what's new to you" that has been referenced by other forum subscribers. 

correct, I don't see that either, and that may be because this page is not as developed as the "Logos" packages side--very unfortunately.  Hopefully you can see what is entailed, and get an idea of what you want still, compared to what you own.  I have read that soon Verbum will have it's own "copy" of the Logos store.  They are working on it.

Hi Dan,

Exacly, as you have commented on.....I'm not seeing the list.  I do see the comparison of the different Verbum base packages...got that.  When it comes to the comparison between what I have and what is being offered...as you mention..."not as developed....very unfortunately."  (does not exist)

Hi Tim,

You have it stated very succinctly..."it makes the head spin to try and deduce what the discount calculator actually does".

That is not good...at least for me.  I don't jump off the end of the dock without knowing how deep the water is.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:40 PM

Stephen Kerr:
.I'm not seeing the list.

just to clarify, you are not seeing this part?

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:47 PM

Does anyone else in this wonderful discussion have experience with BibliaClerus, the free website and Windows software from Congregation for the Clergy at the Vatican?  This was my favorite Catholic Bible Study package when I had Windows systems (I now live in an Apple environment).  Unfortunately, BibliaClerus does not have a downloadable version for Mac.  I enjoyed having Latin as the native language of my software, and having numerous Italian resources, in addition to the standard Hebrew, Greek and Latin.  It was nicely integrated with many, many Magisterial texts in Latin, Italian, French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese.

Also, I really enjoy the MP3 audio library of the reading of the Novum Testamentum Nova Vulgata (prepared in cooperation with the Vatican, by a US company that makes audio bibles; presented to the Pope earlier this year).  Is there a way to integrate this with Verbum?  How about my ten volumes of PDF from Google Books with the "Opera Omnia" of S. Bonaventure?  I do not suppose that raw PDF scans of old books can be integrated without a lot of work constructing tags.

Perhaps the Verbum development team can get some good ideas from BibliaClerus.

-Frank

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:58 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes, I'm seeing that part that you are showing.  Thanks for posting the screen shot.

What I NEED TO SEE is a list of specific resources in that list SIDE-BY-SIDE with the list of resources in my personal library.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 32164
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:00 PM

Frank Hale:
Does anyone else in this wonderful discussion have experience with BibliaClerus

I still run occasionally BibliaClerus, VulSearch4 and  The Faith Database. Verbum is still in its infancy - I expect major growth in the future and hope for Vulgate Latin support similar to the support for the LXX.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 32164
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:02 PM

Stephen Kerr:
What I NEED TO SEE is a list of specific resources in that list SIDE-BY-SIDE with the list of resources in my personal library.

I haven't seen that functionality on the Verbum side. Sorry. I had to call to get an upgrade price for Logos ==> Verbum

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:04 PM

Frank Hale:
How about my ten volumes of PDF from Google Books with the "Opera Omnia" of S. Bonaventure?  I do not suppose that raw PDF scans of old books can be integrated without a lot of work constructing tags.

i'm not very familiar with how they do it, but here is a blog post about the Personal Book tool in Logos.  Here is a beginning video guide.

Frank Hale:
Perhaps the Verbum development team can get some good ideas from BibliaClerus.

thanks for your ideas and enthusiasm!

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:08 PM

Stephen Kerr:

Hi Dan,

Yes, I'm seeing that part that you are showing.  Thanks for posting the screen shot.

Blessings,

Steve

thanks for your patience.  Thanks for MJ for her addition and the thread that gives the Catholic sales rep contact info.  I guess that is your best resource for now.

EDIT: link

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:14 PM

Hi M.J.

Thanks.  I haven't seen that functionality either.  I notice that you "had to call in to get an upgrade price".

Did the person you spoke with have a list of the delta between what you have and what you are intending to buy?  And a price for that difference?

Steve

Page 2 of 9 (161 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS