How Long Untill a Crossgrade?

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:41 PM

Bill Moore:
I may be alone on this (or too distracted by the election Smile), but I'm perfectly happy with L4.
Happily L4 will remain supported for a good while. Enjoy :-)

Godliness with contentment is great gain...

Bill Moore:
I'm in no hurry to engage in another learning curve, though it may not be as great as it was from L3 to L4.
Yes the Move from L3 >>L4 was a big change, but L4 >> L5 is a very shallow curve apart from the new tools.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:32 PM

David Taylor Jr:
Once again, my concerns are not only about the cross-grade.  There are other factors I need Logos to address to me personally about certain practices that don't need to be discussed on the forums.  The Cross-Grade availability is just a slap in the face to existing customers.

I purchased Logos software after dealing with other Bible software companies had no upgrade or cross-grade path. You would buy a new computer and the software did not work on the new computer. The only option was to buy the software again. That is a slap in the face. I don't mind waiting knowing that an upgrade is on its way and that I won't lose the use of my library.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 3:22 AM

Wayne:

David Taylor Jr:
Once again, my concerns are not only about the cross-grade.  There are other factors I need Logos to address to me personally about certain practices that don't need to be discussed on the forums.  The Cross-Grade availability is just a slap in the face to existing customers.

I purchased Logos software after dealing with other Bible software companies had no upgrade or cross-grade path. You would buy a new computer and the software did not work on the new computer. The only option was to buy the software again. That is a slap in the face. I don't mind waiting knowing that an upgrade is on its way and that I won't lose the use of my library.

I think that happened with a preacher friend of mine a couple years back.  balanced perspective.  thanks.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:43 AM

Wayne:
I purchased Logos software after dealing with other Bible software companies had no upgrade or cross-grade path. You would buy a new computer and the software did not work on the new computer. The only option was to buy the software again.

Which one was that?

Posts 3285
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:48 AM

I would be less dissappointed if they would simply give a release date, just give a date.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:51 AM

David, Phil mentioned a probably (not guaranteed) time frame this morning of about two weeks.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3285
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:56 AM

TCBlack:

David, Phil mentioned a probably (not guaranteed) time frame this morning of about two weeks.

Just saw that, glad they are deciding to give out some info.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:59 AM

David, I'm happy they put some consideration into what to include in the minimal crossgrade. (I'm myself hoping that it will include enough so that I don't have to upgrade to a base-package such as Platinum (it would really feel like wasting money to do such an upgrade since almost all of the content is highly uninteresting to me). I want Gk functionality, I'm discussing this in: Force a theology and Logos 4 OLL)

David Taylor Jr:
it is not fair to people who want to give them money for new features and have already made a significant investment in the company.  If anything, the cross-grade should have come first and base packages later.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:25 AM

Bill Moore:

I may be alone on this (or too distracted by the election Smile), but I'm perfectly happy with L4. If L5 is better, fine. I'm in no hurry to engage in another learning curve, though it may not be as great as it was from L3 to L4. I'm sure this is in a thread or FAQ, but I haven't had time or the desire to investigate.

I'm very glad L4 is working out for you and helping you grow spiritually, as well as helping you teach others. When all is said and done closeness to our Lord is all that matters. May God continue to bless you with his Word.

Posts 3047
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:51 AM

Unix:
David, I'm happy they put some consideration into what to include in the minimal crossgrade. (I'm myself hoping that it will include enough so that I don't have to upgrade to a base-package such as Platinum (it would really feel like wasting money to do such an upgrade since almost all of the content is highly uninteresting to me).

My concern (not fear, concern) is that the minute the crossgrade is available, it will show that it doesn't come with the new data sets, and any discounts on the base packages (Gold in particular, the minimal to get the data sets) will disappear.

Like you, almost none of the content, other than maybe the Lexham stuff, is of interest to me.  Some of it actively repels me...I'd hate to pay for it. But it may be necessary if I want the new data sets.

If the worst-case scenario is forthcoming, I'll have a decision to make...stick with L4 for the next few year until it becomes no-longer functional, or upgrade and pay for content I don't want.

Hopefully that scenario won't materialize.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:57 AM

Doc B:
Hopefully that scenario won't materialize.

Having been with Logos through the last 3 updates, it seems very unlikely.

Posts 76
Jeffrey Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:37 AM

I enjoy the Logos product and have added quite a few resources to it.  I can't wait for the crossgrade to be official.  I would upgrade with a base package, but I am a seminary student and the academic discount doesn't apply to upgrades - just new packages.  

If I upgrade from my current package (silver) to portfolio, I would spend $754.54 more than if I just bought portfolio from scratch. So, I already have a large library with a percentage of the books and it costs more to upgrade and buy all of the books from scratch. The difference is smaller if I upgrade to other packages, such as platinum or Diamond, but even for those it costs more to upgrade than to buy new. How does that make sense?

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:41 PM

Jeffrey Visser:
If I upgrade from my current package (silver) to portfolio, I would spend $754.54 more than if I just bought portfolio from scratch. So, I already have a large library with a percentage of the books and it costs more to upgrade and buy all of the books from scratch. The difference is smaller if I upgrade to other packages, such as platinum or Diamond, but even for those it costs more to upgrade than to buy new. How does that make sense?

Hi Jeffrey,

And welcome to the forums!

I do not work for Logos and, therefore, cannot answer definitively, but this does not seem correct to me. Have you tried the link, 

http://www.logos.com/upgrade

If the upgrade price still doesn't make sense to you, I would strongly suggest you contact Sales either by telephone or email to clarify and confirm.

Blessings in your decision Big Smile

Posts 76
Jeffrey Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:59 PM

What it appears to be is that because I am a seminary student, I get a discount on the base packages, but not on the upgrades to the base packages.  So in my case, it is cheaper to buy a new package, then to upgrade the current package that I have invested so much in.  As I have stated, I appreciate Logos and enjoy the software.  I would love to upgrade, but the pricing model does not make sense.  It is not just because of the books I own - otherwise it would be cheaper to upgrade than buy a new package.

I am not questioning Logos' morality or intentions as a company.  All I am questioning is the pricing model used for this release.  It seems out of whack with the rest of the pricing models that have used in the past.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:03 PM

Jeffrey Visser:
What it appears to be is that because I am a seminary student, I get a discount on the base packages, but not on the upgrades to the base packages.  So in my case, it is cheaper to buy a new package, then to upgrade the current package that I have invested so much in.  

Ah, I see. I think I understand a little better why you are seeing a high upgrade price.

Jeffrey Visser:
I am not questioning Logos' morality or intentions as a company.  All I am questioning is the pricing model used for this release.  It seems out of whack with the rest of the pricing models that have used in the past.

I fully understand your position. I would seriously suggest that you speak with Sales, they may be able to work something out with you.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:17 PM

Doc B:
My concern (not fear, concern) is that the minute the crossgrade is available, it will show that it doesn't come with the new data sets, and any discounts on the base packages (Gold in particular, the minimal to get the data sets) will disappear.

Phil Gons:

Graeme Adams:
So, just to confirm we will have a cross-grade in a week?

No official commitment yet, but we're working on it now and could have it live on the website in the next week or two. Again, that's not a guarantee. That represents our current plans. We'll provide a concrete date as soon as it's available.

Graeme Adams:
Any indiction of costs for a 'full feature' cross-grade? 

We're still working on the exact contents that the MCs will include. The smaller one, which might lack one or two features, will probably be between $75 and $150. The larger one, with all the features plus a few core resources, will probably be between $150 and $300, depending on which version of the software you're moving from. For Logos 4 users, it'll be on the lower end of those ranges. For Logos 3, it'll be a bit more expensive. For Logos 2 users, even more.

For Logos 5 Starter to Silver users who are just looking to pick up the missing features, it'll be significantly lower. Dynamic pricing will apply to both products, so the ownership discount will be applied as appropriate.

I'll be very surprised if the upgrade prices don't last over Christmas and New Year.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 50
JAIN THOMAS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:55 AM

Till now I have spent $14,663 on Logos4 Platinum. Their discount calculator showing a higher price of $1449, but the person(Doc B) who spent $6000, gets the upgrade price of $1378. How can you justify this business? 

My upgrade price is below

Posts 24283
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:13 AM

Hi Jain

JAIN THOMAS:
Till now I have spent $14,663 on Logos4 Platinum. Their discount calculator showing a higher price of $1449, but the person(Doc B) who spent $6000, gets the upgrade price of $1378. How can you justify this business? 

Clearly I don't know the specifics of your situation but I can speculateSmile

I think the key point is that you haven't actually spent over $14K on Logos4 Platinum. Rather you have purchased the Platinum base package and added things to it.

The upgrade calculate compares what resources you have with what is included in the Diamond package and comes up with an answer.

So it looks as though there a lot of the resources you have previously purchased are not included in Diamond hence don't count as far as that upgrade is concerned.

To get a definitive answer on this I suggest you contact Logos sales.

Graham  

Posts 50
JAIN THOMAS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:18 AM

Thanks Graham for your reply. I will contact Logos soon.

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:15 AM

Jain,

I purchased my first base package the Pastor's Library in 10/2004 and have bought numerous books and upgrade through several incentives to the L4 Platinum and have spent less than $1200 total. If I were to go to L5 Platinum it would cost slightly more than half my investment for only about 100 new resources. The Diamond vould double the investment cost I have presently and is not financially feasible at this time.

So although I might settle for a cross grade there are always deals around the corner to upgrade. You can frequently upgrade through those. So, although the current deals are sweet, you can always grow down the road too. Depends on whther the resources get you where you want to be. How it is done now days is much better than years past.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS