Selling Logos 4 rather than upgrading to Logos 5

Page 4 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 249 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:07 PM

Claude Brown Jr:
In the meantime is there any one out there who can advise me on the best Windows configuration for the Logos experience?
System requirements are a good place to start.

System Requirements FAQ - Logos Bible Software http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 284
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:18 PM

TCBlack:

System Requirements FAQ - Logos Bible Software http://www.logos.com/support/tech-faq

I found that but it is like Greek to me, pun intended. Was looking for some indepth information behind the system requirements. Even so far as a machine recommendation if possible. Thanks.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:22 PM

Claude Brown Jr:
Right that's what I thought too until I noticed something called feature distribution underneath the datasets. So I am still confused as these seem to be onl available with the purchases already mention. It seems to me that even if I have the datasets I still will not have functionality of them unless I also have the feature distribution?

You will get the 'features' together with the datasets in the Minimal Crossgrade. In fact, I suspect you will, theoretically, get the 'features' with the free engine. It's just that without the datasets you can't get any results from them, so they won't show up. That's why for example the Septuagint Translation Ring, which only shows in the chart for the highest packages, will nevertheless function in the lowest if you have a tagged Septuagint from an L4 package or a separate purchase.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 284
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:31 PM

fgh:

You will get the 'features' together with the datasets in the Minimal Crossgrade. In fact, I suspect you will, theoretically, get the 'features' with the free engine.

Wow, that is really cool. Thanks.

Posts 2
Ian Sanderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:52 AM

I have a Logos 4 Leaders Library that I've decided to sell. You can contact me at ventureguy (at) gmail (dot) com 

Thanks!

Posts 2
Ian Sanderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:02 AM

Hey Joren,

Let me know if you're interested in buying a logos 4 leaders library. thanks!

-ian

ventureguy (at) gmail (dot) com

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:08 AM
Claude Brown Jr:

fgh:

You will get the 'features' together with the datasets in the Minimal Crossgrade. In fact, I suspect you will, theoretically, get the 'features' with the free engine.

Just keep in mind that the feature without the data set is useless. Even if you we're able to open up the timeline, it will be no good unless there is data populating the timeline. The data will only come with the cross grade which makes since given Logos' time and investment compiling the information.
Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:33 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
Look for all the BS (excuse the initials but I really get tired of some the consistent posters on the Forums its why I don't participate often) I've read on here- there are a lot of us who have spent 30k plus in building their library over the years, and to be told you need to now spend an additional 1600.00 to stay with the package you already own was hard to take.

I'm pretty much in that boat (a few pennys short of 30k but not much...what can I say, I don't golf so I have money for books Stick out tongue).  I chose to 
"upgrade" to Diamond since the $600+ difference only would have bought me a few Sheffield resources that I'd never choose to buy (I feel like I have more than enough resources from that perspective).   All that means is that I can no longer say I own the Portfolio collection.  I still have all my resources PLUS new resources and functionality that will actually be useful to me.  It's been 30 years since my last Greek or Hebrew class but I do believe that Logos has help me more in understanding the scriptures than seminary and has been well worth the investment.

That said, when L6 comes out I will likely buy the crossgrade since I'm at a point in life where I have to ask how long will I be able to use the resources I buy.  Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Logos or Bob on this. how can anyone defend a man who likes Moo Shu Pizza. Stick out tongueWink

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:00 AM

Mike W:
how can anyone defend a man who likes Moo Shu Pizza. Stick out tongueWink

At least on that point !  Yuch ! Oh well, each to his own taste.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 284
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:03 AM

Halo Hound:
Claude Brown Jr:

fgh:

Just keep in mind that the feature without the data set is useless. Even if you we're able to open up the timeline, it will be no good unless there is data populating the timeline. The data will only come with the cross grade which makes since given Logos' time and investment compiling the information.

That's what I have been asking and musing I think. I just need to know if a crossgrade will get me all datasets and features with the purchase of an 'upgrade'. that is a wait see issue.

Thanks.

Posts 284
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:14 AM

Claude Brown Jr:

fgh:

- The Minimal Crossgrade is being configured, but we expect it will contain all/most of the unique new data sets (Timeline, Bible Facts, Clause Database, Bible Sense Lexicon, Phrases, Preaching Themes, Thematic Outlines, etc.). Some Logos 5 features only "light-up" or add value when specific books are present, and we're figuring out which ones should be included in this crossgrade.

This is what I meant. i will need to actually see what happens with the 'free engine' and 'minimal crossgrade' include before I stop having the feeling that I will need to have a tremendous outlay of cash for L5. I do find it interesting that I kept saying as much but was constantly reassured by some that all was coming later with a low cost solution, when when I read the official response there is a certain level of apprehension concerning cost for full functionality of L5 with the new features.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:14 AM

Claude Brown Jr:
That's what I have been asking and musing I think. I just need to know if a crossgrade will get me all datasets and features with the purchase of an 'upgrade'. that is a wait see issue.

See the reply from Phil Gons (Logos) in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58931/419534.aspx#419534

Donnie

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:38 PM

Claude Brown Jr:

TCBlack:

I found that but it is like Greek to me, pun intended. Was looking for some indepth information behind the system requirements. Even so far as a machine recommendation if possible. Thanks.

I think what you really need to look for is RAM and processing power. I'd suggest a min of 4GB RAM, especially if you run Logos concurrently with other apps like your web browser, etc. The more you run at the same time, the more additional RAM is going to help. For processing power, look for something with an Intel i5 or better. One more item to make it faster is look for something with an SSD, this adds to the expense and you wont get nearly as much hard drive space for your $, but it really makes a difference in load times.

If looking for a laptop, I'd suggest the 13-inch MacBook Air. It has 4GB RAM, Intel i5, and 128GB SSD drive. It is $1200, but I'v had many different laptops from dell, asus, and even an IBM thinkpad ... Mac's are by far the nicest and worth it in the long run.

For desktops, I havent purchased a desktop in a long time -- I custom build mine. Looked around briefly and this one looks like it would run Logos nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227438 but I cannot speak to the quality. Also, it looks more like a gamer setup, so you could likely shave a couple hundred off price if you look around and find something with a lesser video card, etc. Even the new Mac minis would probably run Logos pretty well.

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 3:55 PM

Claude Brown Jr:

TCBlack:

Question 1:

PC or Doorstop (I mean Mac?)

Question 2:

How much do you want to spend.

Once you have those questions, then it can be narrowed down. 

You can spend probably as little as a few hundred to many thousands on those specs, all depends what you are going to use the computer for.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:19 PM

Claude Brown Jr:

TCBlack:

Logos 5 is resource intensive on Mac & PC – benefits from fast processor, graphics, and quick storage along with adequate memory (i.e. newer hardware since Logos 5 being designed for use over 5 to 8 years); Solid State Disk (SSD) is noticeably faster than hard disk.  For processor, recommend 2nd or 3rd Generation i5 or i7.

Curious if looking for a portable computer or a desktop ?  Also wonder about Operating System preference ? Windows or OS X ?

Apologies: learning Greek provides new nuances to that's Greek to me, including parts of the Greek New Testament (e.g. Genitive Absolute).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 58
Daniel Brueno | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:53 PM

Pride....Pride results in deception. Deception actually means “to be enshrouded in smoke, unable to get a clear picture.”

Lindsay, D. G. (1990). Foundations for creationism. Creation Series. Dallas: Christ for the Nations.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:26 PM

I am behind here, but would like to comment on the start of this thread.

I tend to agree with the original poster and, why the name changes to the Libraries are important to some of us.

I am getting old, it's just a fact.

My books, both digital and in hardcopy, cost money, they have value.

If I get badly sick, cannot do my job, keep my position, pay medical bills, I "could" look at selling some of my Library. 

I have a large physical library, takes a 24 ft box truck to move it all, those resources could be used to pay some of my bills or, if I died, my wife could sell them, or donate them. They have value. They are an investmant .

My digital books are many, I have the scholars library with many add on titles, packages and other libraries like the Catholic Libraries.

This too is an investment, if something happens, I may need to liquidate this investment.

Ok, If Logos wants me to upgrade to version 5 , but to do so without buying things I do not need, my "title" is the Starter Collection.

Starter collection by name is not very easy to sell.

It's not ego, it's not pride.

There is a huge difference between trying to sell a used Mercedes and a used Toyota Corolla.

Logos, you are messing with our investments future, we do not get to mess around with yours, please do not continue to do so with ours.

Somebody here is goings to say: Yea, but you have all those titles!

And i can tell you most people are not even going to read the names of all of them just like they don't now.

They look at level of Library and Scholars looks way more inviting the "Starter, beginner, home etc".

As too why so many books in the collections that we do not use, why so many piled on in the new collections:

Couple of things ( In my opinion )

1. Logos does want to give value and make packages that appeal to a wide audience.

2. Publishers - Explanation: For those that don't know, The world of publishing is in a great big mess, way worse than Music was before iTunes , but similar. My heart goes out to Logos, Accordance, Bibleworks and all the software companies that try to work in this field, it's horrible to deal with. Publishers will practically give things away in PDF for e-readers, but make the texts needed for software usage so expensive and hard to get that companies like Logos, Accordance, Bibleworks just can't compete with the Kindles, ibooks and other e-readers etc. 

It's a mess!

Like other industries, there are "buy in" requirements, there are sales requirements etc to get the e-texts needed in order to use the texts in software programs.

Thus, companies like those listed above, have to be pretty creative in how they can get those texts out and pay the royalties/fees ( however its named ). Nothing is free for these software companies, even using Public Domain E-texts costs money to place into the software package.

So, in the defense of Logos, Accordance, Bibleworks and everyone else: Yes, these companies have to do some pretty strange looking stuff in order to get us the books we need, my guess if they often take on titles that don't sell, but have to get out anyway, if they want to keep that Publisher allowing them to get titles that do indeed sell.

Like I said- It's a mess at the Publisher Level and that mess runs downhill and, as with everything else, we the "consumer" pay for everything eventually.

The main problem right now , for us, is how to maintain our investments value.

I think Logos, it it's work to stay relevant/competitive and not go broke doing it, inadvertently forgot we have an investment here that needs protecting by more that just individual titles of books.

I want my scholars Library to stay named just that, what it was, what it is.

I want it to be called Scholars Library Version Five, and, when 6 comes out, the same thing.

Thats what I bought, when upgrading the engine/feature set, it should still be what it is.

It is not ok to rename my car to something no one wants to buy in the future.

If Logos want to have some new packages, with new features mine does not have, hey, that's ok and, It is bob's company, he can do whatever he wants-smile.

Yet, my suggestion would be to go back ( nothing wrong with making corrections , not a sign of weakness) and rename things as they should be, add the new collections as just that, new ones.

But please, and I  do ask : Please, do not make me decide between naming my library something it is not, just to stay current, or having one that is now outdated and has no real value moving into the future. My family may need this investment to help them through a tight spot, let me leave them something of value, something that has value.

Thanks so much.

Grace and Peace to all.

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:55 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I want it to be called Scholars Library Version Five, and, when 6 comes out, the same thing.

I hear what you're saying, but, to use your car example, this would be like purchasing a 2005 Mercedes and expecting to be able to call it a 2013 Mercedes when you sell it--it's not the same thing, a lot of new features have been added and some have been taken away. It would be more precise to call it the Logos 4 Scholar's Library upgraded to the Logos 5 platform.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:56 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Ok, If Logos wants me to upgrade to version 5 , but to do so without buying things I do not need, my "title" is the Starter Collection.

Starter collection by name is not very easy to sell.

Yet another reason to go for the free engine or the Crossgrade, then. You can sell it as a 2009 Mercedes with a new 2012 engine under the hood.Big Smile

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
There is a huge difference between trying to sell a used Mercedes and a used Toyota Corolla.

Don't offend my Corolla. It's a very good car.Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 8:11 PM

How about Logos 5, Scholars library for a few hundred bucks, lets say 300.00 just for talking sake.

300.00 get you logos 5, some new resources, some new data sets and it's honestly Logos 5 Scholars library.

Right now it's 600.00 for me to move down, less to move further down or, 1200. 00 to stay about the same level-no good for me. Thinking of calling it "quits" with Logos.

FGH, I have a toyota as well, have had many, good cars.

Never took one in for trade and had them tell me: Nope, not a corolla anymore, now it's something else-smile.

Page 4 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS