Page 6 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 249 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:43 PM

Thanks for the reassurance all

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:53 PM

Richard Koons:
Of course when I came aboard for Logos 4 I actually thought that you would buy books and own them for life now if it requires re-purchasing books in the new and future platforms

Not so.  What you purchase you own "world without end, amen."   We know that the L5 engine (free) will be forthcoming before too long as well as a minimal crossgrade to provide the databases and new features of L5.  I am merely guessing, but I rather imagine that if you don't want to bother with the minimal crossgrade then all of your resources will still be usable though you will miss out on any new features.  I'm just guessing since I haven't upgraded to L5 yet.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 2:22 PM

YesYes, Nail on the head Kevin, I momentarily was caught up on that and then said...who cares...it's LOGOS, it lets me study better, it gets me from point A to point B and a great trip along the way...

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:25 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Note: No, still no upgrade calculator for Catholic Collections "per Logos", they are working on it.

While there isn't an upgrades page yet for the Verbum Catholic Packages, the discount calculator has been working since the very first day the new Verbum packages have been released.

While it's not as easy to find due to the upgrades page not being there, you can find your discounted price by signing in.

Going to the compare on the Verbum packages page:
http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare

And clicking on the Verbum base package you are interested in, for example Verbum Master:
http://www.logos.com/product/27994/verbum-master

On it you will see your discounted price for that product something like this:

For that example, with my personal account I own Catholic Scholars plus several additional books.  It shows that I get a 71% discount based on the resources I have in my Catholic Scholars bundle and the resources I've since purchased.  Bringing the price from $1,349.95 retail down to $386.55.  And this isn't even with the additional 15% off Logos5Verbum coupon.  The coupon brings it down further to a total cost of $328.57, that's around 76% off the total price.

If this is not what you're seeing, please send me a screenshot of the pricing on the Verbum product page for your logged in account.

For the upgrades and comparison pages for the non Catholic packages, please let me know which resources you own that you say you already own but are listed as you not owning them.  When I took a quick glance while at work today I compared your owned resources against the ones in the Logos 5 Silver package (I don't have it right in front of me as I'm at home right now but I'm pretty sure I remember correctly).  It showed that you owned around 50% of the resources in the package, and your pricing looked to be somewhere around a 50% discount which was pretty consistant with the figures I've seen you give thus far.  Again if you are seeing a different price, please give me a screenshot of what you see and the resources you own that are listed as you not owning them.

Every example I have looked into has shown to be either the user not being logged in, going to the wrong page (we've improved this so the upgrade prices will show on the comparison pages now for resources you already own), or resources that had additional books added (you only pay for the additional books in the resource, not the entire resource) in this package that they didn't already own.  Beyond the discount calculator there were Upgrade discounts that were corrected and mentioned elsewhere.

If you are finding a discrepancy in what you are seeing I would certainly appreciate your help in finding any issues in the discount calculator price being wrong or with owned resources showing up incorrectly.  We most certainly don't want people paying again for resources that they already own.

Thank you,
Mike

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 1:40 AM

Actually Bible Analizer 4 is a viable option and they have the companion bible don't know if any here are aware of it wordsearch is will I stopped at version 9 Logos still has the most available resources but it depends on the audiences requirements as to the type of study and use I always kind of viewed Logos as cross or a combination you might say of all bible software available in one single UI which is good that is why I have it another note the media and maps etc are excellent in my logos 4 another very strong pert on the downside it isn;t easily used and even by prioritizing preferred works doesn't always display to my satisfaction that is why Logos 5 seems attractive to me but as written before only if the datasets advertised will utilize my existing collection of Platinum + so many other purchased books and ref materials if it doesn't then am likely to move on without any further investment into Logos because there are much cheaper options that would provide me the same justwould preferr the single UI iin Logos as compared with having to use several UIs of various software. Plus in my brief watching the video of Logos 5 looks very good so I don't like to advertise other products here as my goal is hopefully make my logos investment work better and not having in a bad economic time to be forced to go another route I hate change nuff said

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 3:26 AM

Richard Koons:
only if the datasets advertised will utilize my existing collection of Platinum + so many other purchased books and ref materials
You will have access to everything in L5 that you have access in  L1, L2, L3, and/or L4 without having to repurchase them.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 4:45 AM

Thanks Mike, will check it out again this evening.

I have been signed in each time, Logos always comes up with me signed in.

Perhaps sign out and sign In again.

Thanks again.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:11 AM

I checked it right quick Mike.

Still showing books I already own , as if being charged for them or something.

Perhaps I am just dense on this.

Don't have time to look into it deeper right now.

Sorry to be so negative sounding.

Does seem to be the best way to get the "data sets" which I have no idea if those will be of any use to me.

Perhaps if Logos had put a presentation up of "whats new, how it works"  it would be easier, I don't know.

Just confused on what the money buys thats of value.

I appreciate your time and trouble to help.

Have to run, blessings.

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:02 AM

Tom the question was will datasets utilize them not will you have access to all of your existing library

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:07 AM

Richard Koons:

Tom the question was will datasets utilize them not will you have access to all of your existing library

Some resources are tagged specifically for use with the new datasets and some are not.

Posts 113
Bokman Han | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:44 AM

Simply put, marketing failed!

Hopefully, software will not.

I guess it might be better for Logos to specialize core programs with different functions. 

Separation of selling core programs (or functions) and resources could be the way to take.

What do you think?

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:33 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I checked it right quick Mike.

Still showing books I already own , as if being charged for them or something.

Any specific example of a book you're being charged again for would be great.  I would really like to find any issues with the calculator.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Does seem to be the best way to get the "data sets" which I have no idea if those will be of any use to me.

Perhaps if Logos had put a presentation up of "whats new, how it works"  it would be easier, I don't know.

Just confused on what the money buys thats of value.

While I cannot tell you how it values you, I can at least point you to the information that can help you determine that value.

This page has all of the new features, including some videos that demonstrate them.
https://www.logos.com/features

This page explains how some of the already existing features have been improved:
https://www.logos.com/features#improved-features
and here:
https://www.logos.com/features#additional-features

Here are some videos that show you how to use the new features:
https://www.logos.com/videos

Is there anything that's missing about the new features and how to use them that we can help provide better information? 

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I appreciate your time and trouble to help.

Have to run, blessings.

Thank you for taking the time to respond Fr. Matheny.  Hopefully I've helped you get the information you needed.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:00 PM

Dear Mike: Thank you for your help.

Still having challenges here.

I have Scholars KF, Catholic Library builder and a few add-on (BDAG, Lectionaries etc)

The issue I am having is I cannot seem to see what I have , in comparison to what I would be getting that I don't already have.

For instance, I already have the Church Fathers, Catholic and Protestant editions, yet these are listed as something I would be getting/buying.

I thank you for the links ( and your time and effort ), the links and video's were indeed helpful. To my embarrassment, don't know how I missed them.

I have to admit, I am impressed with what I see, at least on the surface and, have to also admit, I am interested.

My other difficulty is that I work very, very long days, I leave before you open, home after you close, Logos not open on weekends.

What I am trying to discover is what I am going to be buying that I do not already have other than the Data sets, features etc.

Please feel free to e-mail me ( It should be listed to you).

I do not want to lose what I have, do not want to buy things again I already have and do not want to buy things I do not need.

I am interested in Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican Resources. 

The new features do seem very appealing-smile

Dang, guess Logos is winning the battle for my attention again even after all the very real and difficult times I have had with version 4-smile.

Going to try giving a call, but it's probably too late this evening.

Again, very grateful for your time and help- I know I can seem ,,,,difficult.

Do not want to be, just a bit leery after a very difficult version 4 experience.

Blessings of Grace and Peace.

Posts 94
Ben Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:28 PM

Great point, Gary.

Posts 94
Ben Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 9:11 PM

John Bass:

I think you are right on target.  I have been reading a lot of the posts complaining that somehow they are getting cheated by a requirement to spend a huge sum of money to buy a package they already own.  For those who think this is the case, after lots of reading and my own personal choice to purchase a package BEFORE the minimal engine is available...

YOU DON'T LOSE A THING!   Every book I had in Logos 4 is still there in Logos 5.  Who cares what they call it.

The money I spent was mostly investing in books for my library that I didn't already have.  The personal calculator makes it VERY clear.  You can see all the books or JUST WHAT IS NEW TO YOUR COLLECTION.   It adds books to your collection.  It does not take any away.

If you don't want any new books, then buy the bottom upgrade or wait for the minimal engine to be released.  Really...If you are pretty happy with Logos 4 then you really haven't lost anything if you don't upgrade to Logos 5.

I am really so tired of hearing some people bashing Logos.  I have limited funds and I can't expense out my purchases.  What I buy comes out of my discretionary income.  I have used several other packages and ebooks.  None of them hold a candle to what Logos does.  In my experience, Logos has always been up front and honest with us.  Sure, they make mistakes...don't you?  But they own up to them and they seem to always keep the customer in mind.  More than I can same about some other providers I have worked with.

Ultimately, if you don't like Logos than you have to make some tough choices.  But don't blame logos for them.  If you're upset because they didn't release an app when PROJECTED then you probably haven't done software development.  Neither have I, but I have lots of friends who work for companies that do and I understand there are huge variables out there that control a release.  Ultimately, I would rather wait for a good release than get an early release that is really buggy. 

IMHO Logos is one of the best companies I have dealt with -- and no, I don't work for them and neither do any of my friends or family.  I just think they are honorable and are workmen worthy of their earnings. Yes

Great word, John. You expressed what've been my thoughts (and sundry others, me thinks) in reading this forum since Nov. 1. 

I've been with Logos since Logos 2 and a dedicated user since Libronix release in 2001. My experience with the company has been excellent. 

Only thing I would add is, for those who have a problem with Logos, whether the company or the software, please take it up with Logos via a personal call or email directly to them before airing it out on here. Then, if you do so and don't what 

God, then gets, the glory and all involved will get more blessed and less stressed. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 3:58 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Logos not open on weekends.

Last weekend Logos was open on Saturday; suggest checking Logos.com by clicking on phone number; noticed Saturday 6 am - 5 pm shows this morning.

Personally wish for upgrade page to show a count of new resources along with "New to you"

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I do not want to lose what I have, do not want to buy things again I already have and do not want to buy things I do not need.

Option: if buy a package that expands your existing Logos library, but includes resource(s) that would not be used, those resource(s) could be hidden (removes them from the Library on your devices).

Do like using Logos 5 full screen on OS X 10.8.2

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Garry Holguin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 3:25 PM

yes if you get the portfoloio then you have to upgrade the portfoloio? to much doe! and a rip off

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 3:42 PM

Garry Holguin:

yes if you get the portfoloio then you have to upgrade the portfoloio? to much doe! and a rip off

If you have Logos4 Portfolio, you do not have to do anything, if you don't want, and you can keep Logos4 Portfolio for as long as you live.

In a couple of weeks (maybe earlier), the Logos5 free engine may be made available to us, in which case you can keep your Logos4 Portfolio and run it in Logos5.

Also near this time, Logos will release a crossgrade option (maybe more than one option), which will enable you to purchase some of the new features, data sets, etc. that were developed for Logos 5. This will cost money, but it's your choice what and how much you spend, and whether the cost seems worth it to you.

If you wish, you may also upgrade to one of the new, redesigned Logos packages, that unfortunately retain some of the same names as packages from Logos4, while containing much different material. There is some overlap in content as compared to Logos4, but you'll only pay for what you don't already have. You will never have to buy the same resources again once you have bought it from Logos. You have them forever.

If there is a part of this you don't understand, feel free to ask for clarification.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 3:47 PM

1. You don't have to upgrade anything. You can keep running L4 if you want.

2. If you want to upgrade to L5, you have many options:

You can wait for the free L5 engine upgrade

You can wait for the 2 different minimal crossgrade options at minor costs for the additional datasets.

You can upgrade to any of the L5 base packages and receive additional resources, paying for them at highly discounted prices. 

If you upgrade to less than Gold, you do not receive all of the additional datasets.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:42 PM

Edwin Bowden:
If you upgrade to less than Gold, you do not receive all of the additional datasets.

Just for clarity: this is true as for base packages, but as far as we know at this time the larger Crossgrade will include all of the data sets.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 6 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS