Selling Logos 4 rather than upgrading to Logos 5

Page 8 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 249 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:15 PM

FWIW. Very frustrated, once again Mark Barnes excellent video's are of no use to me as we do not have similar programs and feature sets. Does not look or function the same or even in similar fashion.

Sad.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:27 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Mark Barnes excellent video's are of no use to me as we do not have similar programs and feature sets. Does not look or function the same or even in similar fashion.

I believe that there are videos out done in Mac. Try the videos at this wiki site. I am not sure if they will be as good as videos produced by Mark Barnes, but they should be a help.

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5_Video_Tutorials

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:40 PM

Thanks Wayne. Guess I thought we were at very similar functioning as far as what we see goes.

Looks like the windows guys have the better set-up. sigh

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:44 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Thanks Wayne. Guess I thought we were at very similar functioning as far as what we see goes.

You could upgrade to a Windows machine.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:52 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I am hearing from several Mac users that L5 is on equal footing when compared to the Windows side. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:58 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
First : the price was much higher talking to a sales person than it was looking at the upgrade page, was told there are indeed problems with the upgrade calculator, as I had reported.

How much  was the price you saw online?  If there are issues with the current discount calculator this is news to me as I am one of several people who have investigated every instance where reports were made that the discount calculator was broken and have found no instances of it being broken.  If you recieved the wrong price for your software I want to know as this is not ok.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Second : I asked very, very specifically if the Verbum Master upgrade had all the data sets and features, was assured it did.

I got to 5.01 min. it Mark Barnes video and realized after checking my settings that I do not have very much at all. 640.00 dollars and I don't have anything worthwhile to me as far as the Program Feature Sets itself working as advertised. ( or being there )

What dataset or feature was not found?  Looking at the chart (which is generated from the data that actually gives you your licenses, it appears you should have all of the features and datasets included in the Verbum Master.  The only differences that I see are the additional book resources.  If something is missing I want to know as something needs to be fixed.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
That said, it does seem to be faster and a bit more stable. I have only had two crashes in about 8 hours of work ( which is a new record for Logos stability for me ). I have only had a couple of spinning pizza's. The problem of it opening in a very small screen in the lower left corner is now back, but I am used to that so know what to do.

You should have NO crashes in your software.  I'm not saying that it's going to be perfect, but please report any crashes you find.  That way the software is improved for both you and other customers.  Please create a new thread with the issues of slowness, crashing, etc that you found so that those who investigate issues with the Logos desktop software can notifiy the developers.  Comments in a long thread like this will be lost.

Sincerely,
Mike

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 9:10 PM

George Somsel:

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

You could upgrade to a Windows machine.  Wink

This month Dell Outlet on twitter has been offering a variety of coupon codes: e.g. $ 200 off a business laptop over $ 795 while supplies last (so $ 839 - $ 200 = $ 639 for a laptop that quickly runs Logos 4 and Logos 5)

Logos 5 is resource intensive on OS X and Windows; benefits from a fast processor (e.g. 2nd or 3rd Generation i5 or i7), fast storage (e.g. SATA III Solid State Disk), and graphics processor with dedicated memory.  The 3rd Generation i5 and i7 CPU's have HD 4000 integrated graphics, which has decent performance.

Personally shopping for SATA III Solid State Disk (SSD) upgrade this Holiday season.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 9:59 PM

Super Tramp:

George Somsel:
it would be marked as "New to you" if a collection had been updated but that you would get credit for what you purchased. 

But George, I have had the A.T. Robertson Collection in it's entirety since 2009 yet it is "new to" me, even in the Portfolio upgrade.

Could you please create a separate thread, even put a link to it in here if you'd like, for someone who knows more about the resources to investigate? It is a bug  if it is erroneously showing up in "New to me" when it shouldn't.  I wish I knew more about all the resources to tell you, but I do not.  And this is an area of which I am still learning.  Embarrassed

An expert will comment in on this.  If not then I will make certain that someone here at Logos does. 

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:44 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
FWIW. Very frustrated, once again Mark Barnes excellent video's are of no use to me as we do not have similar programs and feature sets. Does not look or function the same or even in similar fashion.

Dear Fr. Charles,

I note that Mike Estes has offered clarification and assistance in respect of the missing features. I will, therefore, comment no further on this point.

I am, however, surprised to read your evaluation of Mark's most recent and rather excellent introduction to L5. I am working on a Mac also (Mountain Lion) and have just watched Mark's most recent video and do not recall a single example in which his Window demo differed from my experience on the Mac (I switched between his demonstration and repeating his actions on my installation. The UI, to my eye, looks and appears to function in an almost identical manner.

The only difference I could see is that he appears to be using Windows 8 and, as a consequence, the OS is cosmetically different (and then, only in the most superficial sense).

Is this the video you watched,

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/59381.aspx

What functions do you believe to be different on the Mac? Is it anything we can assist with?

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:43 AM

Hi Andy: Thanks and yes, I could use the help.

Yes, Marks videos are the best, just the best and I have used them many, many times, sort of my "go to guy" when I get stuck trying to do something. ( even after owning Logos for years).

His current Video, which is correct btw, nothing, I repeat, nothing wrong on his end, not being critical of him, is wildly different than what is on my screen. I thought perhaps it had to do with Verbum and looked up the thread about switching back and forth ( colors and such) , nothing happens.

Perhaps a glitch in my install, perhaps I am just doing something wrong, perhaps my set up, workspace.

It's just a little disappointing on my end because his video came out and as soon as I could, I git set up and comfortable to watch it pause it and try the same on my install.

I repeat, no criticism of Mr. Barnes, he is greatly appreciated.

Blessings and thanks

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:46 AM

Andy:

Does your library view work like his?

Do your search panel/s work in the same fashion as the ones on Marks Video?

Mine do not at this point.

Going to do a permissions clean/repair, check install etc.

Get back on this late afternoon, early evening.

Thanks

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:47 AM

Not so fast Logos I did a comparison from the silver upgrade new to me to the gold upgrade new to me what I seen clearly was no differince in the lexicon and language aids and since I own a vast amount of language works via Platinum 4 + a huge amount of resources not included but some elements of Portfolio why is the bible sense database not offer in Silver? Hum so the bible sense dataset and capabilities show that I would need to spend 250.00 dollars more with no virtual change folks this is looking like a scam and for you that defend logos wow are you getting kick-backs? research the two whats going on here so in fact the one dataset costs over 250.00 ?

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:56 AM

Richard Koons:
Hum so the bible sense dataset and capabilities show that I would need to spend 250.00 dollars more with no virtual change folks this is looking like a scam and for you that defend logos wow are you getting kick-backs?

Just because the Gold package isn't worth it to you doesn't make it a scam.  Have you heard about the upcoming crossgrade?  It will be much cheaper than $250, it will have the sense DB, and it is certain to remove grouchy feelings.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:00 AM

Let me add one more thing if it is dependent on the resources added without being a former logos I could understand this by why offer such a thing to current owners whom I am guessing already own all the requirements of Gold or above second if one purchases the low end silver why not the option to include that missing dataset? so in the end this upgrade for the missing dataset is 200.00 + for current owners which would be tandem of sinply paying for the extra resources not the resources one needs to run that dataset so if you are a former gold user and above my guess is you should already own the resources required to run the app unless of course you existing resources need to modified for Logos 5 from 4 in that case you would be repurchasing your books (just adding this) so which is true the dataset is stand alone and in my case would raise my price from silver to Gold by 250.00 while no language supplimantal changes to either Lexicons nor language dictionaries nor idioms? Hmmm?

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:01 AM

Then what do you call it Mr Todd?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:06 AM

Richard Koons:
for you that defend logos wow are you getting kick-backs?

Of course, I get $1000/mo just for that.  Wink  Are you out of your mind to suggest that?  Geesh !  Angry

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:10 AM

Nope are you George? Not trying to be rude but read carefully above and remember a fool and his money soon part ways not directing this at you or Todd but doesn't a certain political element always respond in that manner? And Can you answer to why the dataset costs so much

Posts 29735
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:18 AM

Richard Koons:
Can you answer to why the dataset costs so much

Richard – You should wait until the minimal crossgrade comes out to see how much the datasets actually cost...

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 67
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:22 AM

Still does not answer the question Alabama cross grade may or may not answer this but one cannot simply ignore the current upgrade offering and I would hope that Logos addresses this

Posts 5622
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:22 AM

Richard Koons:
And Can you answer to why the dataset costs so much

A.  The dataset doesn't cost $250.  You'd be getting other resources if you upgraded to Gold.

B. The creation of that data is considerable work.  It doesn't come free.

C. You can get all the new datasets in the upcoming crossgrade for something around $100-$150.  Or if you buy an L5 base package first, then the crossgrade price should go down to just cover the datasets you didn't get.  (See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 8 of 13 (250 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS