Logos 4 will not start after updating

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:39 AM

I appear to be having the same problem that I had here.  My problem was fixed by a newe installer released soon after.

I updated this Windows XP machine with the 4.6 update and L4 crashes during startup.  Since L5 does not run on XP, I would definitely like to get this running again.  This computer is not connected to the internet, so that is probably the issue. 

7737.Logos4Crash.txt

6445.Logos4Error.log

I did a fresh install of L4 and still had the same problem.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 29717
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:26 AM

Tom – I am not a techie, but can read logs from time to time. I dont think you have given the most important log... logos4.log. Can you enable logging, allow the app to crash, and try again?

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:11 AM

I enabled logging per the instructions and the only two files that are created are the two that I posted.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 29717
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:06 PM

What happens if you open to a blank layout?

hold down the CTRL key as you start Logos 4 (it will also permit you to open to a blank layout).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9146
LogosEmployee

Tom Geswein:

This computer is not connected to the internet, so that is probably the issue. 

Yes, it does appear to be related to working offline. Is it at all possible that you could connect this computer to the Internet, even once? (I'm assuming not, since you already guessed that working offline was the problem.)

I have not been able to reproduce the problem in Logos 4.6a yet. We'll keep trying to reproduce the problem so we can fix it. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:31 PM

No, I can't connect to the internet - it is a firewall issue that is beyond my ability to address.  Maybe I can find someone with an access point on their cellphone that I could use - I'll check into it.

Thanks for your post and apology, especially during a very busy time for all of you.  We appreciate your efforts for such a great product.  I can deal with this for now...

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:05 PM

I managed to fix this problem and got the XP computer up and running again.  It was a rather convoluted process that I won't go into detail on, unless it would help someone else with the same problem.  I basically got a working version of L4 and started it in offline mode, copied all L4 files to a portable hard drive, did a fresh install on the troubled computer and copied the majority of the files from the portable HD into the newly created directory of the fresh install.  I ran into a few problems by doing so, but managed to get things straightenend out.  Had to move files around a bit to get it to work properly.

If anyone has this same problem, post a message here and I can give you detailed steps on what I did to fix it.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:58 AM

Tom,

IF you have the time, a detailed answer here might be useful for posterity sake, AND chances are when it shows up next you won't remember all the details by then. 

At least I would not.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:54 AM

TCBlack:

chances are when it shows up next you won't remember all the details by then. 

Very good point, since I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday...

I tried many different things that did not work.  Some of the steps that I took may not be necessary, but they worked, so I will include everything.  When you install L4, it creates a random named folder under the Data and Documents folders - I will refer to these randomPC1 and randomPC2, with PC1 being the working computer and PC2 being the computer that L4 crashed on at startup.

1.  I forced L4 to start up in offline mode on PC1.  Quit L4 and copied the entire contents of the Logos4 folder to an external harddrive.

2. I unistalled L4 on PC2 and did a fresh install of L4 ver. 4.6a.  It installed, began to start up and crashed as expected.  It managed to create the randomPC2 folder in the Logos4 directory before crashing.  (It crashes before making it to the L4 desktop.)

3. I copied the entire contents of the Logos4\Data\randomPC1\ into the Logos4\Data\randomPC2 folder.  I copied the entire contents of Logos4\Documents\randomPC1 folder into Logos4\Documents\randomPC2 folder.  I also copied the entire contents of the Logos4\System folder from PC1 to PC2.  Finally, I copied the files in the Logos4\Users folder from PC1 to PC2.

4.  Started L4 and it came up without crashing.  I got to the L4 desktop, but had no access to any resources.  I found that since I had copied the contents of the system folder to PC2, when L4 started successfully, it created the random folder named randomPC1 in the L4 directories of PC2 (under Data and Documents folders.)  I then, on PC2, had to copy all the files that I had copied in step 3 (in the Data and Documents folders) into the newly created randomPC1 folder under their respective folders.  I then deleted the randomPC2 folders on PC2 in the Data and Documents directory.

5.  Started L4 again and did not have access to any resources.  In the command box, I ran "scan \Logos4\randomPC1\ResourceManager\Resources", with the actual path to the directory on PC2.  I quit and restarted L4.  Success.  Even though I had copied all the index files, the step "Preparing your library" took quite a while - a couple of hours.

I hope this helps someone if they have the same issue.  If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.  Since it is now working, I doubt that I install anymore L4 updates to this PC, unless Bradley G has an answer...  Wink

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS