L5 Upgrade Experience - From L4 Bible Study Base Package

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:11 AM

Just in case anyone has a similar setup, I thought I would share my experience upgrading to L5.

My L4 configuration:

• Bible Study base package
  • Moderate number of Logos resources bought outside of packages.
  • Moderate number of 3rd party resources (I think irrelevant to Logos upgrading)
  • Obtained the following L3 add-ins (prior to them being withdrawn for separate sale sometime during Summer, 2012; they are no longer available):
  1. Bible Analysis Add-in
  2. Compare Parallel Bible Versions Add-in
  3. Sermon File Add-in (a promotional freebie in '08)

• See this thread for more info on L3 add-ins & L4 lower-level base packages. But remember, this is relevant only if you had purchased the L3 add-ins prior to their withdrawal for sale or had them in L3; their functionality is no longer sold separately.

I side-graded to the L5 Starter package; my upgrade price was around $50. This gave me:

1. The L5 environment with the new non-package-dependent features
  2. A number of new resources (that number will be different for others, of course)
  3. The Events part of the Bible Facts (People, Places, Things might be improved, but were in L4)
  4. The legacy L3 Bible Analysis Add-in brought the Passage Analysis Tool in L5
  5. The legacy L3 Compare Parallel Bible Versions add-in brought the Show Differences and Show Base Text features into L5 Text Comparison, and it brought the Pericope Sets Database into L5 (I think), where it is used in the Home Page passage box and in the Text Comparison reference box (and maybe elsewhere; not sure)
  6. EDIT: The legacy L3 Sermon File add-in brought the L5 Sermon Starter Guide.

So, even if the coming crossgrade is a better deal, Robertson's Word Pictures alone is worth close to my upgrade price.

I hope this helps someone in a similar situation and isn't another cause for confusion.

Also, my laptop's specs are below and, so far, L5 seems to work as well as L4 (I'm not much of a poweruser).

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 51
Lloyd Wicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:24 PM

Helpful post. Even a smaller base package will leave folks with more resources than it really costs them. I upgraded yesterday and am delighted so far. I can't work for free and I don't expect Logos to either. They provide essential tools that help me more than I can fully even appreciate. I've never been disappointed with the new features in updates. While I'm glad they share about upcoming features not out yet, I wonder if that's more than their customers can handle. Much of the rage on the forums are entitlement issues. How can people expect cutting edge for free?  I guess I just don't understand. The upgrade is well worth it. L5 is an amazing upgrade. Thank you Logos!!!!!  Some say you've lost their business...but many out there are also very appreciative. Keep it up!!!!!

Rev. Lloyd Wicker - Crossroads Leadership Coaching

MacBook Pro - 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5 - 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 - MacOSX Mountain Lion - Crucial 512GB SSD - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:30 PM

Robert M. Warren:
Obtained the following L3 add-ins (prior to them being withdrawn for separate sale sometime during Summer, 2012; they are no longer available):

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Re-install_resources_for_Libronix_3 that includes a link for LogosAddinsAutoUpdate:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1918
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:33 AM

I can also add that after the details in my original post (top), I bought the Minimal Crossgrade for $99. So, for about $155, I got the MC and the additional resources from Starter. Judging by other forum posts, I did this in the correct order, that is, package upgrade (or sidegrade) first, then Minimal Crossgrade.

I hope this additional information is helpful to others.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS