Availability of Bible Sense Lexicon

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:56 PM

Could someone explain why it isn't available in packages below Gold. The reason I ask is that it is listed as a major feature in the marketing so it seems strange that it is not available in all packages (or am I missing something?) The price between silver and gold for me is about $200 and this tool is all I would want. I am assuming it cannot be added as an individual item?

Much thanks! Smile

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:22 PM

A question for Bob or Bradley I think!

ConfusedConfusedConfusedTongue Tied

P A

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 3:57 PM

It's like the resources -- we put some in this package, and others in another package. I didn't make this particular decision, but I think the idea was that the Bible Sense Lexicon was a high-value, higher-end data set.

Posts 763
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:01 PM

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58253/416067.aspx for my answer to this question. 

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 4:08 PM

Thanks for the response Bob.

It would have been nice to have it,  however I can make do without it, because the meaning of the word is determined by the context, not a dictionary. Nice shortcut but don't really need it.

Thanks

P A

Posts 763
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:00 PM

P A:

Thanks for the response Bob.

It would have been nice to have it,  however I can make do without it, because the meaning of the word is determined by the context, not a dictionary. Nice shortcut but don't really need it.

Thanks

P A

You're right about meaning being determined by context. That's why the Bible Sense Lexicon is really two features in one:

• the lexicon itself which describes the meanings, the biblical words that express them, and their relationships to other meanings
  • our annotation of the biblical text with an analysis of which meaning is used in each instance, based on context

So a Greek word like λόγος expresses many different senses or meanings, including one we've labeled "message (communication) n. — a communication that is most often spoken, but can come through other means." This sense is expressed by other Hebrew words as well. We've annotated every instance of these words in the text with the sense that's being used: that means you can (soon) actually get a "sense concordance" showing where this meaning is being used, regardless of which word is expressing it.

Posts 9101
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:02 PM

Sean Boisen:
We've annotated every instance of these words in the text with the sense that's being used: that means you can (soon) actually get a "sense concordance" showing where this meaning is being used, regardless of which word is expressing it.

That's a lot of work but that will be a cool feature. Yes

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1838
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:03 PM

Mark Stevens:

Could someone explain why it isn't available in packages below Gold. The reason I ask is that it is listed as a major feature in the marketing so it seems strange that it is not available in all packages (or am I missing something?) The price between silver and gold for me is about $200 and this tool is all I would want. I am assuming it cannot be added as an individual item?

Much thanks! Smile

If you decide not to move to Gold,  you could purchase the Minimal Crossgrade on top of silver to make up for the absence of the Bible Sense Lexicon. The MC will be priced according to what you're missing, which may just be the BSL.

Posts 37
Nick Pisciotti | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:17 PM

When clicking on the Bible Sense lexicon in the comparison page, it says its available separately for $19.99 but I cannot seem to find a way to actually purchase it. The cost of a "Gold" update is out of my price range, but not a Silver + $20. 

Posts 1838
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:53 PM

Nick Pisciotti:

When clicking on the Bible Sense lexicon in the comparison page, it says its available separately for $19.99 but I cannot seem to find a way to actually purchase it. The cost of a "Gold" update is out of my price range, but not a Silver + $20. 

That text mistakenly got applied to all line items, even the ones that aren't available separately.

The BSL won't be available separately, but you'll be able to purchase the Minimal Crossgrade and only pay for the contents new to you.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:29 AM

Phil Gons:
If you decide not to move to Gold,  you could purchase the Minimal Crossgrade on top of silver to make up for the absence of the Bible Sense Lexicon. The MC will be priced according to what you're missing, which may just be the BSL.

Yes Good news.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS