Clause Search - find out what prophet's served during the reign of Uzziah of Judah

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:00 PM

I want to find out who who was serving as prophet during the reign of Uzziah King of Judah. I can do person:Uzziah (king) but can figure out what secondary search term I need to narrow down the prophets the began their ministries then.

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:26 PM

good question (in terms of your study interest). 

I dont have L5, but I'm guessing that there would be a help file about the search features. 

In my imagination: i'd create a search feature by people attributes (incl. occupation, nationality, in the lifetime of).  Not sure if there is one. But then your search would be something like:

person.occupation: Prophet AND TimePeriod: Uzziah (Judah)

or

person.occupation: Prophet AND person.lifetime Uzziah (Judah)

Posts 8066
LogosEmployee

Philana Crouch:

I want to find out who who was serving as prophet during the reign of Uzziah King of Judah. I can do person:Uzziah (king) but can figure out what secondary search term I need to narrow down the prophets the began their ministries then.

I don't think Clause Search is the right tool to figure this out. As its name implies, Clause Search finds related things that are mentioned in the same clause. Unless a biblical verse happens to mention a particular prophet in the same clause as Uzziah, Clause Search won't return it.

A better way to approach this may be to open Timeline, press Ctrl+F and type in Uzziah. When you find "Reign of Uzziah in Judah", hold down Shift and click that timeline event. The timeline will zoom to that event.

Now, in the Filter textbox, type: Uzziah OR prophet

The timeline will filter down to show any events that mention "Uzziah" (this keeps his reign visible) or contain the word "prophet". This should give a quick overview of the prophets who were active at the same time.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:45 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

I don't think Clause Search is the right tool to figure this out. As its name implies, Clause Search finds related things that are mentioned in the same clause. Unless a biblical verse happens to mention a particular prophet in the same clause as Uzziah, Clause Search won't return it.

Bradley,

Thanks for the quick response. At times when a prophet begins their ministry the text will say that they saw a vision or began to prophesy in the year of a specific king. An example for this in my specific question would be Amos 1:1. I'm trying to see if there is a way to search for that. It came up when I search for just Uzziah, but I'd like to filter that.

If there is not, perhaps at some point in the future (I know you guys are super busy right now) that the role tagging from Biblical Facts for people could be used in the Clause search. So that if I searched for Uzziah in a clause with someone who had the role of a prophet it would pick up for example Amos. If not I understand, just might be a useful way to combine some of the datasets.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:06 AM

How about you read some articles in your dictionaries and encylopedias.

make a dictionary and encyclopedia collection and then search for "Uzziah AND prophet"

And dont forget Uzziah is known as Azariah in Kings and Uzziah in Chronicles (Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible, pg 1109)

Good luck!

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:14 AM

Kelvin Niblett:

How about you read some articles in your dictionaries and encylopedias.

make a dictionary and encyclopedia collection and then search for "Uzziah AND prophet"

And dont forget Uzziah is known as Azariah in Kings and Uzziah in Chronicles (Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible, pg 1109)

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have two reasons why I want to use searches first. First I want to see what the Bible says first before I jump to secondary resources. I consult them, but I like to start with the text. Second the great thing about the Clause Search is it knows that Uzziah is also called Azariah and brings those up. The clause search brings up pronouns and alias as when searching. So when I search for Uzziah it brings them all up. I'm wanting to find ways to use it to narrow them to find more specific things.

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:36 AM

I like your study technique Philana.      - a "me too" annoying comment :)

It is almost possible to do anything with just the Bible text - and this should be especially true in a computer age. 

I have to say that stuff like Logos' extra tagging in Bible's helps too - but still...

I hope you get the search that you are looking for. 

PS.

I like your helpful info too Bradley.

and I'm not knocking Kelvin either - it is perfectly valid to take that approach too.

Posts 1509
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:51 AM

@Bradley, thanks. It seems strange to me that after filtering as you suggest, if you change the view from "All" to "Biblical", all of the events disappear. Yet, they are all biblical.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS