BECNT or NICNT or PNTC or NIGTC?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 17
Leo Koo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:32 PM

Hi guys!

I know this has been discussed many times over. Just that while looking at upgrading my OLL (JG) set, I've noticed BECNT and NICNT are on discount.

BECNT is now at USD 479.95 under top products, while NICNT is at USD 669.95.

I've already gotten the WBC set and will get the NAC set once I upgrade to Silver/Gold.

I also did up a chart on excel to compare the various commentaries as rated via different websites =)

1205.Commentary ranking.xlsx

Appreciate your help everyone =) Thanks!

Posts 2305
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:41 PM

Are you asking which to buy?  I would say NICNT.  I think that you would end up with more bang for your buck.  All of those sets are good though.  Someone might also come along with statistics concerning how often each set goes on sale.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:42 PM

Probably you know something like this, but I have 15 highly rated NICNT commentaries from personal use, best commentaries, carson, and Denver seminary lists. That is 15 out of 22 (68%).

For BECNT I have 11 highly recommended out of 15 (73%), so other than the NICNT covering more NT books than BECNT does, they rank about the same overall in my system.

In some ways I might lean toward BECNT in hopes that the NIC in its entirety might be on sale again at a good price. Why? Because the NICOT is even more highly recommended than the NICNT (19 of 23 volumes, some are multi-volume works) (83%), and frankly good evangelical OT commentaries are harder to come by. I say wait because I don't think the NICOT has ever been offered on sale by itself.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 17
Leo Koo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:49 PM

Thanks Mark! I think NICOT/NT has been on sale recently during the back to school sale. (Link below)

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/53591.aspx

Hmm, would it be a good idea to wait? =) I do like the BECNT too (as much as NICNT), but it seems unlike the OT sets, NT sets are a bit of a mixed bag.

And yes, have anyone tried ZECNT sets as well? =) Would buy them all if budget permits =)

Posts 12164
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:56 PM

Leo Koo:
And yes, have anyone tried ZECNT sets as well?

I have all of them that Logos carries, they blew me away! Really really cool stuff. Deep into the Greek, scholarly but very readable, somewhat crossing the bridge to application - for me an absolute surprise since I didn't expect a commentary series to bring something new.

Try one! Unlike NICNT, you don't need to buy series for ZEC.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 17
Leo Koo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:35 PM

Thanks Mick! will try them after getting a set from here =)

Any personal recommendations?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS