See his post here

Posts 68
Graeme Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:47 AM

Just Upgraded to Silver and got the CrossGrade for $6.14 Big Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:08 AM

Graeme Adams:

Me too laddie! Had to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night (end of day in US) checked the forum, saw it had been released and immediately did Silver then Crossgrade.

So — no haggis then? Crying

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 68
Graeme Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:13 AM

Patrick, sorry no Haggis, the aching void is being filled up as we speak!... anyway, they're just too hard to catch this time of the year...Geeked

Posts 156
Andrew Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:13 AM

I am already on Silver, but my minimal crosssgrade will be $150. 

Posts 68
Graeme Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:16 AM

Andrew you have L5 and the cross grade is $150?

Are you logged in?

If you are Logged in and you have Logos 5 then there is a problem. Contact Logos.

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:16 AM

Andrew Mitchell:

I am already on Silver, but my minimal crosssgrade will be $150. 

I assume youre on L4 Silver? I believe others who spoke were on L5 Silver and thus the MC gives them only the last missing bit from the new features and databases (or, the other way round: the dynamic pricing calculator reflects that they already own nearly everything in the MC).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 156
Andrew Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:24 AM

NB.Mick:
I assume youre on L4 Silver?

Ah yes. I understand now. Thanks for the clarification NB Mick.

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:45 AM

Patrick S.:

Graeme Adams:

Me too laddie! Had to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night (end of day in US) checked the forum, saw it had been released and immediately did Silver then Crossgrade.

So — no haggis then? Crying

Patrick, I am interested in your thoughts on how L5 works on your Mac... of course you probably went back to sleep and haven't had a chance to try it out yet... but when you do please chime in.

Posts 44
Jo Decaesteker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:04 AM

I upgraded my Logos 4 Scholar to Logos 5 Silver and this morning, I did a minimal Crossgrade upgrade for around 6$, which added the Bible Sense Lexicon feature. Awesome!

By the way, @John Fidel: I'm running Logos 5 on a Mac and I'm very happy! (i7, 3.4 Ghz, with 8 Gb Ram, standard Hard Drivee 7200 RPM.)

Posts 2204
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:33 AM

Jo, that is awesome to hear. My experience is similar.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:53 AM

John Fidel:

Patrick, I am interested in your thoughts on how L5 works on your Mac... of course you probably went back to sleep and haven't had a chance to try it out yet... but when you do please chime in.

Hi — I'm still awake, looking around at everything and using Mark Barnes video for an intro. If you mean by "how L5 works on your Mac" how it is performing and running, then I would say so far quite OK.

I already, some time ago, finished with the download of the 1.7 GB of update resources. The indexing went fairly fast with all four physical CPU cores being used.

Overall again I would say version 5 is performing well, I put that down to the upgrades to .NET & Mono. I am running a 2011 iMac with i7 3.4 GHz processor & 16 GB of RAM. The application is only using 990 MB and there is still a lot free (unallocated) so Logos 5 could grab more memory. 

Doing silly shotgun queries like the word 'love' in entire library where I get 238,298 results in 83,221 articles in 1,328 resources (0.75 sec) I see all cores are used and the total CPU load goes up to 130% (but that's spread over 4 hyperthreaded = 8 virtual cores so each core is not at all stressed). I see that now when there is a huge dataset returned it does not display all results in the query window which is good — I'm pretty sure that was not so in Logos 4 (or if it was they changed it in some recent version).

I did one of my nasty tests — bringing up Text Comparison tool and entering 'Isaiah', the whole book. Logos still goes a bit berserk and only one core is used with CPU @ 100% and CPU temp going from 36º to 50º (see screenshot below done after it finished). Because one core is fully maxed out even though the other 3/7 cores are idle the system is maxed out.

It would be good if Logos could improve this as per this previous discussion http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58582/418743.aspx#418743 . Having said all that, even when it was struggling it was definitely better behaved than Logos 4. Of course during normal usage the CPU usage went nowhere up to 100%.

So far I have had only one hard application crash, it just dropped into the OS.

I'm still looking around enjoying the new features and will be able to comment more later — I would say again though that for any Logos 4 Mac user it's a 'no brainer', esp. the Crossgrade.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 19
Matt Eide | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:43 AM

I am confused as anything!! Can someone please explain to me why the "Minimum Crossgrade" (sounds like the minimum, right?) would cost me $159.95 and the "Starter Upgrade" would be $53.55? The latter would get me far more new books. Would I not be getting several new Logos 5 features? The whole Logos 5 thing seems downright designed to not make any sense. If I were to "upgrade" I have next to no idea what I'd be spending the money for!

I currently have an L4 Scholar's Library with several individual purchases added.

Thanks if anyone can make things more or less plain!

Regards,

Matt

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:48 AM

Matt Eide:
Can someone please explain to me why the "Minimum Crossgrade" (sounds like the minimum, right?) would cost me $159.95 and the "Starter Upgrade" would be $53.55? The latter would get me far more new books

Yes, but it wouldn't get you all the datasets, especially not the expensive ones (like biblical senses) Logos took years to develop. Also, the books in the MC are more technical/scholarly thus more expensive.

Matt Eide:
If I were to "upgrade" I have next to no idea what I'd be spending the money for!

Then maybe it would help to either study the long list on the Compare pages or, if this looks confusing, call CS to explain it to you.

Hope this helps at least a bit,

Mick

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:52 AM

I'm a little confused too... I just upgraded from L4 Silver to L5 Silver - do I need to do the Minimum Cross Grade as well?

Posts 10574
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:53 AM

Matt Eide:
the "Starter Upgrade" would be $53.55?

The Starter package gives you a few new resources, the L5 Engine, but none of the data sets that make L5 shine.

The Minimum Crossgrade give you all the new data sets that enable all those new features. It will also add a few resources that are necessary to make the data sets work optimally.

If you look at a package comparison page, scroll to the very bottom of the page to see the new data sets,

Adam Turner:
 I just upgraded from L4 Silver to L5 Silver - do I need to do the Minimum Cross Grade as well?

You would need to MC in order to get the Bible Sense Lexicon. Others in your situation have reported a cost of around $7 US for this upgrade.

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:54 AM

Adam Turner:

I'm a little confused too... I just upgraded from L4 Silver to L5 Silver - do I need to do the Minimum Cross Grade as well?

Only if you want all the datasets and features. The missing bit goes for $6 I read...

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:56 AM

Got it - that's really weird that those datasets and features wouldn't be included in a $270 upgrade package...

Posts 10574
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:02 AM

Adam Turner:
that's really weird that those datasets and features wouldn't be included in a $270 upgrade package...

Sean, who was in charge of at least part of the development of those data sets, reported that the bible Sense Lexicon employed 3 full time graduate level language experts working since the first of the year to build. And they are still working to expand the BSL.

That makes $7 seems like a rather small price.

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:06 AM

The $6.14 is a small price... I just wonder why that wasn't rolled into the upgrade. I wonder how many people upgrade, thinking that they've got everything, yet are missing out on that final piece. Just a little confusing.

Page 4 of 6 (120 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS