Uninstall Logos 4 after upgrading?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:49 AM

I just upgraded to Logos 5. I'm really excited about it and hope that the speed issues on the Mac side of things have improved.

After the upgrade, I now have two copies of Logos on my system - Logos 4 and Logos 5. Is it safe to delete 4 now?

Thanks for your help!

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:51 AM

Yes - from the Applications folder drag the Logos 4 icon to the trash.

This deletes the old application, the data folder in the ~/Library is still named Logos4 and is used by Logos 5.

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58908/419582.aspx#419582

There are also some old Logos 4 system folders in ~/Library/Caches folder, but again unless you absolutely know what you are doing don't touch them.

Simply drag the Logos 4 application icon from /Applications into the trash.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 11532
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:52 AM

Adam Turner:
After the upgrade, I now have two copies of Logos on my system - Logos 4 and Logos 5. Is it safe to delete 4 now?

Not a Mac person, but I understand from other threads that you only have two icons for Logos on your system. L5 installs into th L4 folder structure, so you may remove the icon/shortcut/link whatever it's called on your desktop/surface/menu/... but don't touch the folder structure.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 19
Adam Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:53 AM

Thanks!

Posts 18
Matthew Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:16 PM

Patrick, do you have any familiarity with Hazel, the Mac app that sweeps extra files and folders that don't get deleted when one drags an app to the trash? I'm trying to figure out if I should disable Hazel when I delete Logos 4 so that it doesn't inadvertently remove something that L5 needs. However, I'd like Hazel to remove unneeded system files that will just hog space on my machine if possible. I realize that's a pretty specific question so no problem if its outside of your pay grade :)

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:00 AM

Hi - apologies did not see your reply earlier as I did not have email replies set.

I am not familiar with Hazel - however I would say as a general rule you should not have any 'automated' utility active when you drag the old Logos 4 application (which is actually a folder, most OS X apps are special folders) to the trash.

On my machine (yours obviously will be different) when I do a search for 'logos' in Finder I get this. I have a bunch of folders because I made a little app for Logos 4 last year + my Logos 4 folder in ~/Library/Application Support/ does not show because I disabled indexing of it in Spotlight.

If you look at this list you will see folders which are duplicated in functionality between Logos 4 / 5. They are mostly in the ~/Library/Caches/ and ~/Library/Saved Application State/ folders. For example com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4.savedState & com.logos.savedState.

But again, I would not delete any of the (obvious to Logos 4) folders without careful checking and confirmation and/or comparing to new clean install folder list. I haven't done so yet — been busy looking at new Logos 5 :-)

One thing is sure though... disable Hazel before dragging Logos 4 to the trash.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:12 AM

Matthew Owen:
Patrick, do you have any familiarity with Hazel, the Mac app that sweeps extra files and folders that don't get deleted when one drags an app to the trash?

Not Patrick and not really familiar with Hazel, but I have AppTrap which serves a similar function. Does Hazel request permission prior to moving files to the trash? AppTrap does, and I always tell it to leave Logos files alone.

Guess the name "Hazel" came from the ancient TV show by that name Geeked

Posts 18
Matthew Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:25 PM

Thanks Patrick AND Jack :)

Hazel does normally ask before it does a sweep, but I think I'm going to fully disable just in case due to the fact that I'm paranoid about losing something important. I appreciate the help!

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:34 AM

Matthew Owen:
I think I'm going to fully disable

Hazel and AppTrap are useful when you want to completely delete an application, but they become annoying when an application update moves the old version ot the trash. Since I now have MacKeeper, I need to locate all parts of AppTrap and move it to the trash.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS