$159?!?!?!?!?

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5
Theresa Giovannini | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:29 AM

I thought the minimum crossgrade was going to be less than $100??  What happened??

This whole thing is a little ridiculous, as is clear by the abundance of unhappy customers.

Thanks for the $15 discount, but unless something changes I think I'm out.  And was a big fan of Logos...

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:31 AM

I'm sorry you're unhappy. I'm VERY happy though.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 28
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:32 AM

what L4 package did you have?

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:34 AM

Theresa Giovannini:
I thought the minimum crossgrade was going to be less than $100??  What happened??

There are 2 upgrades.

BUT they have only put one option on your upgrade page. [yes, more confusion]

http://www.logos.com/product/28376/minimal-crossgrade

BUT There is also an $80 [Data set] upgarade contqaining about 6 of the new features. Click on link below

http://www.logos.com/product/28494/core-datasets

There are so many post the reference to this one may have been buried

{and yes, the way the web site is working/not working  is NOT too user friendly}

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5
Theresa Giovannini | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:01 AM

I have the regular Scholar's Library now.

I was looking forward to the clause search and bible sense tools.  In fact, I was just thinking the other say how helpful they would be for a couple of papers I am working on this week, and I was hoping Logos would get the minimum crossgrade out asap so that I could use them.  But I am in seminary, working on my second degree and can't afford another!! $150.

Posts 41
David Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:09 AM

Theresa Giovannini:

I have the regular Scholar's Library now.

I was looking forward to the clause search and bible sense tools.  In fact, I was just thinking the other say how helpful they would be for a couple of papers I am working on this week, and I was hoping Logos would get the minimum crossgrade out asap so that I could use them.  But I am in seminary, working on my second degree and can't afford another!! $150.

Theresa,  there should be an academic discount available for you.  A call to Customer Service might be worth the time.

Blessings!

Posts 5
Theresa Giovannini | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:10 PM

No, no discount available.

I think this whole this is bothering me, not so much because it is so expensive, but because Logos seems to be acting kind of deceitfully...

The upgrades are super confusing so no one really knows what they are paying for, and they kept promising a minimum crossgrade for less than $100 and it's not (unless you want to miss out on their best tools).  Most important, no where is the cheaper offer even mentioned!!!  It's not online when you go to upgrade, they don't offer it on the phone.  It is hidden away so you may end up spending more than you need to.  Like I said above, I don't want the cheaper option, I want the tools they keep advertising, but I can't afford them...oh well.

So much for the excitement wearing off...I can probably do all the things new tools do, it will just have to take me longer.

Posts 5
Theresa Giovannini | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:19 PM

PS. I just got a job at another Christian company (which I think Logos is...).  We watched a video called "Give them the Pickle."  Maybe the Logos people should take a look at it.  It is about how companies should give the little things away to make their customers happy.

I plan on being a teaching at a Bible College or Seminary so, while I can't afford it now, there are a lot of resources I will eventually be buying.  Whether or not I buy those through Logos is up to them.

Things I would probably buy on Logos in the future if they would give me the crossgrade for a responsible price: BHS and NA27 with apparatuses, BDAG and HALOT, Gesenius's Hebrew bundle, some commentaries, some dictionaries, etc.  Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars....

Posts 1934
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:20 PM

Theresa Giovannini:
The upgrades are super confusing so no one really knows what they are paying for, and they kept promising a minimum crossgrade for less than $100 and it's not (unless you want to miss out on their best tools).

If you didn't see it, check the link that SteveF posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.logos.com/product/28494/logos-5-core-datasets

If it were me, I'd call Logos to verify that buying the data sets ($80) gives me the features which require the data sets.

Donnie

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 3:53 AM

Theresa Giovannini:
PS. I just got a job at another Christian company (which I think Logos is...).  We watched a video called "Give them the Pickle."  Maybe the Logos people should take a look at it.  It is about how companies should give the little things away to make their customers happy.

If you do the research you would discover that these data sets are not "little things". The Bible Sense Lexicon took 3 full-time graduate level language experts more than 10 months to get to the present level, and they are still developing it. Logos has been more than fair with this process. If you are unhappy, call Customer Service—or perhaps you need to reexamine your suppositions. 

There is a name for companies who give away the store. They call them "bankrupt".

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:05 AM

Jack Caviness:

There is a name for companies who give away the store. They call them "bankrupt".

Yes - the new functionality in Logos 5 is not trivial. Personally, I think they should start charging (reasonable amount) for major software upgrades esp. as now that means features like Data Sets.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:27 AM

Theresa Giovannini:

The promise was most features for less than $100. That's been honoured through the Core Datasets option.

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:32 AM

Theresa Giovannini:
 It is about how companies should give the little things away to make their customers happy.

I don't know the exact number, but Logos has given away over 1000 resources for free.   The Perseus Collections, Ebooks (Vyrso), a book each month this year and others.

Posts 10965
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 5:37 AM

Well, I guess I was just the opposite of Theresa ... I thought SURE I was going to be paying $200 and up (I budgeted $250 just in case). My itty-bitty Original Languages best known for making George really mad (interlinears) seemed like it wasn't going to help me out this time.

So when I saw the price and made sure I was 'believing my eyes' I hit the 'buy' button quick before they came to their senses!

I'm probably the only customer they wish they'd never sold to (I whine a lot), but this time (and a bunch of previous times), they sure did me a favor.

(I think it was because Bob was on a business trip. Just joking .... really.)

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:56 AM

I am thoroughly satisfied with the minimal crossgrade, even quite surprised at how much was included as far as features and resources.  

Hey, Phil,

Thanks for all your help!  From the number of your posts, you seemed to have taken point on all of this for Logos.  Great!

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:23 AM

Joan Korte:
I am thoroughly satisfied with the minimal crossgrade, even quite surprised at how much was included as far as features and resources.  

After using these new tools and features for several months and seeing how they have progressed and are still being improved upon; the $159 is a very attractive price for what you get.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:39 AM

DMB:
I'm probably the only customer they wish they'd never sold to (I whine a lot), but this time (and a bunch of previous times), they sure did me a favor.

Denise, I suggest you get the "h" out.  That is "wine" a lot.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5
Theresa Giovannini | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:10 AM

I am not asking for a free upgrade.  I was just hoping for something I could afford and a little more clarity.  The fact that the cheaper crossgrade does not show up as an option for me seems a little less than honest to me.  That is what is getting me the most.  Maybe it'g a glitch though, or a mistake.  I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it is it should be fixed asap.

Most of what Logos gives away is okay, but it's not the stuff I really need as a scholar, i.e. the commentaries and resources they give as part of their packages are, in general, the cheap stuff (or even free stuff that's past its copyright date and that I could find online elsewhere).  I completely understand that and it is nice to have it all in one place, but it means I have to invest a lot more to get what I need, and I need to decide if I am going to invest that money in Logos or stick to the hard copies.  Their free giveaways are also nice, but, again, not stuff I would use.

Maybe I'll add it to the ol' Christmas list...

Posts 64
Richard Koons | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:04 PM

I have to admit Logos did give away the massive perseus collectionBig Smile I did the crossgrade does anyone know if the logos 5 will reflect what you now own after the crossgrade if one wants to purchase a package now. No real big deal can wait until the Christmas sale I had 53.00 dollars left over from last Christmas and spent it now with the crossgrade but now adding a gold package would be a little attractive of course am not pushing my luck Thanks Logos

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:12 PM

Richard Koons:
I have to admit Logos did give away the massive perseus collectionBig Smile I did the crossgrade does anyone know if the logos 5 will reflect what you now own after the crossgrade if one wants to purchase a package now. No real big deal can wait until the Christmas sale I had 53.00 dollars left over from last Christmas and spent it now with the crossgrade but now adding a gold package would be a little attractive of course am not pushing my luck Thanks Logos

Logos does take that into consideration. However, there's a problem with the pricing at the moment whereby purchasing the crossgrade following by the upgrade then its significantly more expensive that purchasing the upgrade followed by the crossgrade.

Hopefully Logos will sort that out soon. They're looking into it.

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS