HELP! Crash: "Logos Bible Software 5 has stopped working"

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 60
Stephen Harper | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:06 AM

Help!!

For no accountable reason Logos5 has started crashing.

This has happened every time I have opened the program (5 times now) in the past 20 mins, and occurs whether idle or in use. The screen mists over and a system dialog box opens telling me to close the program.

Anyone able to help me diagnose/fix the problem - with Sunday coming up I really need my resources today.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:08 AM

Stephen Harper:

Help!!

For no accountable reason Logos5 has started crashing.

This has happened every time I have opened the program (5 times now) in the past 20 mins, and occurs whether idle or in use. The screen mists over and a system dialog box opens telling me to close the program.

Anyone able to help me diagnose/fix the problem - with Sunday coming up I really need my resources today.

Thanks,

Stephen.

The only way to try and diagnose the problem is with logs. http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Posts 60
Stephen Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:15 AM

Thanks - I knew how to start with a blank layout that way, but didn't realise it automatically started logging.

Just crashed another twice since posting my first message :(

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:16 AM

Stephen Harper:

Thanks - I knew how to start with a blank layout that way, but didn't realise it automatically started logging.

Just crashed another twice since posting my first message :(

Please post the logs when you can

Posts 60
Stephen Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:23 AM

So here is my error log. It means nothing to me. Can anyone shed any light on the problem?

Thanks,

Stephen8562.Logos4Crash.zip

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:27 AM

Stephen Harper:

So here is my error log. It means nothing to me. Can anyone shed any light on the problem?

Thanks,

Stephen8562.Logos4Crash.zip

This crash log is over a year old and is for L4.3 Please review the wiki page I provided a link for above and enable logging for your current installation.

Posts 60
Stephen Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:00 AM

Sorry - I couldn't figure out what happened, but then I realised that "My Documents" is on a separate partition but Logos creates the folder in the system directory, so I was thrown by the fact that there was an old folder from an earlier installation .

The correct og is now attached. Sorry, again.7801.LogosCrash.zip

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

This looks to be the same problem as one reported yesterday that was caused by a minor corruption in notes; we're investigating further.

In the meantime, I have been able to push out a fix to you via sync; the next time your computer syncs, you should get updated data that prevents the crash.

Posts 60
Stephen Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 9:53 AM

Thanks for your prompt attention. I'll see how that goes.

Stephen.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 11:47 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

This looks to be the same problem as one reported yesterday that was caused by a minor corruption in notes; we're investigating further.

In the meantime, I have been able to push out a fix to you via sync; the next time your computer syncs, you should get updated data that prevents the crash.

Thanks Bradley

Posts 4
Joseph Palermo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 3:04 AM

6283.LogosCrash.zip

Getting the same error; logs attached, please advise.

Posts 4
Joseph Palermo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:20 AM

Problem solved - I'm currently in Afghanistan and the net connection is too slow (causing a crash).  Disabling "go online" solved the crash.  I'll simply start using the online feature once I'm back in the US.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:02 AM

Joseph Palermo:
Disabling "go online" solved the crash.  I'll simply start using the online feature once I'm back in the US.

Then you need to think through your backup strategy, or you'll lose all your notes and stuff if something happens to your computer. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4
Joseph Palermo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:52 PM

No issues - I don't use those features.  I simply use the program as a glorified Adobe reader or Kindle to access my commentaries.

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 9:39 AM

I had the same problem happen to me today. Here is what worked for me (I am running Windows 7 on a PC so your computer may be slightly different if using a Mac or a different operating software):

1. Go to your list of programs and find your Logos icon (might also work if you have the Logos icon on your desktop).

2. Right-click and click on "Open file location".

3. Look for the folder named "Documents".

4. Right-click and click "Rename" (there should now be a box around the name of the file).

5. Place a "1" after "Documents" so your new file name will be "Documents1"

6. Close the window.

7. Try to restart Logos.

In my case, Logos started synchronizing (took several minutes) and then Logos opened with no issues.

I home this helps someone else in the future. The tech on the phone said several have had this problem but they aren't quite sure what is causing it yet.

Posts 27243
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2013 3:43 PM

Michel D. Mahler:
I had the same problem happen to me today. Here is what worked for me

Michael

Please don't publish fixes unless you are sure you had exactly the same problem. "Crashing" or "Crashing at start" can happen for a variety of different reasons and renaming the Documents folder is a brute force approach as it affects ALL your documents, forcing them to be re-downloaded (Sync'd) from the Logos server and it may fix nothing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 3:47 AM

I had the same issue and did a system restore to a prior date.  That worked perfectly without having to do anything else.  I hope this will help you.  Blessings.

Posts 27243
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:33 AM

Anthony U:

I had the same issue and did a system restore to a prior date.  That worked perfectly without having to do anything else.  I hope this will help you.  Blessings.

Confused

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:20 AM

Dave Hooton:

Anthony U:

Confused

Smile

Posts 13
Michel D. Mahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2013 12:19 PM

Dave,

Thanks. Understood. I won't post anymore. Should someone do this I would hope that if it didn't work they would simply go back in and remove the "1" from the end of the file they added it to and things would be no worse than before.

To be fair, are any of us posting in this forum absolutely sure we have exactly the same problem ? I am new here, but I thought that was what the forum was for...suggesting possible fixes for problems. There are a lot of other people suggesting "fixes" in this forum and many people post that they've tried them and they didn't work. I'm just not sure why you are singling me out to say I shouldn't post. I'm just trying to be helpful and listed (very carefully) the same steps that the customer support instructed me to follow.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS