Can anyone recommend a good laptop?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 9:01 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice....however, if this is the recomended specs for running Logos

The recommended requirements for running Logos 4 on a PC are:

• Core2 Duo
  • 3GB RAM
  • Windows Vista Or Windows 7
  • DVD drive
  • 1280X1024 display
  • 512MB DirectX9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  • 20 GB hard drive space on local drive (May require additional space depending on your library).
  • Broadband internet connection
What will 4 gig or an i7 give me? (In layman's terms please - I know noting about computers! Wink)

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 10:02 PM

MarkStevens:
512MB DirectX9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

That 512 MB is memory on the video card (or graphics device) - if it was shared with main memory then it takes 0.5 GB out of the 3 GB, and there will be delays caused by the CPU and Video Card trying to access main memory. Some manufacturers try to con you about dedicated memory for the video but if you read carefully it can be 64 MB of main memory dedicated to video + the rest comes from main memory.

An i7 gives you a quad core or 4 CPU's on a processor chip. A duo/dual core gives you 2 CPU's on a chip.  The quad core can be more effective/faster than a dual core but also a lot more expensive. A fast dual core (2.4 GHz or higher) + at least 4 GB RAM (memory) + Windows 7 64-bit operating system + 250 GB HDD can be fast and value for money!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 23
Kirk C. Orona | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 10:10 PM

Dear Dave,

Dont forget... if my memory serves me right (no joke intended) quad I7 has hyperThreading thus making it 8 cpus... :)

Kirk

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:11 PM

KirkCOrona:

Dear Dave,

Dont forget... if my memory serves me right (no joke intended) quad I7 has hyperThreading thus making it 8 cpus... :)

Kirk

If my memory serves me right you know nothing about computers  - so I gave you a SIMPLIFIED descriptionBig Smile

OK - the technical thing is that you do not have 8 cores, but up to 8 threads. 8 threads shared amongst 4 cores doesn't give you the power of 8 cores! Then there is a little thing called HEAT which i7 monitors very strictly and will throttle the speed of the cores to make sure they do no exceed their HEAT quota. On the flip side if you use less than 4 cores it can INCREASE the speed of those cores to account for the heat not being generated by the idle cores!

The effect of all that is that i7 rules the roost for both overall SPEED and HEAT management.

EDIT:

i7 handles hype- threading better than I implied by "shared". The actual benefit will only be realised by applications that generate more than 4 threads.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 12:29 AM

Dave Hooton:
If my memory serves me right you know nothing about computers 

Actually I am the one who knows nothing about computers! Wink

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 12:14 PM

MarkStevens:

In case you are not aware, the "TrueLife" display has a glossy surface.  Glossy displays have the highest clarity for vivid colors and may have a wider viewing angle, but they more easily pickup glare from light sources in the environment than matte (non-glossy) displays.  

Obviously, whether this is a problem depends on the lighting where you expect to be working and one's personal sensitivity to glare.  I prefer a matte display and find it easy to read under every type of lighting.

I've noticed that Dell's home oriented laptops are mostly glossy and their business models are mostly matte. Unfortunately, their business laptops have fewer graphics card choices.

You also might want to consider a higher resolution display for better shaped fonts and ability to use smaller text.  Dell charges $70 or so.

Scott

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:47 PM

Thanks Scott. My Macbook is currently quite poor in a well lit area. However, the Samsung 22" I connect it to in my study works brilliantly with the blinds open and the sun streaming in.

Cheers!

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:48 AM

MarkStevens:

Actually I am the one who knows nothing about computers! Wink

Ahhh, so you are. Thanks for reminding me!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 11:14 PM

i can highly recommend the vaio z - my one is a year old, 4 mb ram , 2.66 processor - logos 4 works very well on this. I bet it runs on the up to date vaio like a dream. 

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 1:23 AM

You'll want at least 4gb of DDR3 RAM (don't get DDR2 RAM it is slower and older).

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 6:03 PM

MarkStevens:
Dell. Why does the dedicated memory for VC matter? I am not going to be editing video or the like...

L4 will take advantage of that dedicated video and perform much better for you.  I just priced a HP with an i5 and 4 GB ram and 512 dedicated video ram, 7200 rpm 320GB hd for $799.  That seems like a very good deal to me. 

Posts 110
Ron Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 6:02 PM

I've been very happy with my 4 month old Asus UL80VT.  The ULV processor handles Logos 4 quite well.  The real trick is having dedicated graphics.  This particular laptop has switchable graphics which gives the best of battery life and performance.  For $750 it was a sweet deal for me.  

Samsung Series 7; Windows 8 64 bit; Intel Core i7-3635QM @2.4GHz; 8 GB RAM; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT640M

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 6:26 PM

Just don't try to run Logos 4 on a netbook if you like speed. My Acer Aspire One is painfully slow with the Atom N270 CPU. And the poor thing took forever to index upon first install.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 8:48 PM

Hi just got a new Sony Vaio, which I ordered to meet my desired specs. It is just awesome!!! Logos 4 runs like a dream, and I am sooooo happy about it!!!

It has i7, 8g ram, 7200rpm, and looks beautiful. If you can find the cash, it is worth every penny!

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 11:01 PM

Oh goodness me I just got hooked!  So why in the world would you want to switch to PC?  Budget? (well that is understandable)  I have worked on a bunch of this junk over the last 20 years, and nothing compares to the "pickup and use quality" of the macbook.  Yeah they are expensive, but you will lose the advantage of the lighted keyboard, the magnetic charger.  Both features are BIG in my opinion, I've worked on a ton a machines with broken charging ports, lighted keyboard=cool for old eyes.

As far as brands go, I'd check out IBM/Lenovo they are a cut above most PC laptops.  Dell=Bang for buck.  I would stick to the i7 series if possible and 512MB video card....and definitely budget for a 24" screen probably from costco/sams club.  My next laptop is going to have 8MB RAM...a must if you ask me.. my .02

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:54 AM

Is anyone using Logos 4 on one of the newer Core I3 or Core I5 laptops with integrated graphics? Does this setup with DDR3 memory run L4 well?  I'm going to be looking for a new laptop in the next few months and L4 is the most demanding app I run (I'm not a gamer).  I'd like to avoid the extra heat and power draw of a dedicated graphic card if the newer integrated graphics are good enough.

Thanks

Posts 2
Graham Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 8:45 PM

Just opened the boxes on new Lenovo Thinkpad T410s -- and have installed Logos 4 with ease and indexing was far faster than I thought it might be. Our past Thinkpads lasted 5+ years of constant use in the tropics in Asia in places pretty hostile for technology. In fact the cooling fan in one of our machines died 18 months ago -- we couldn't get a replacement and it has kept running and working faithfully. At 5 years of age they are clearly slow and clunky now, but their reliability has been outstanding. We trust the same will be the case with the new T410s. Yes, the cost a little more (US$1500 incl. MS Office Prof) but running with i5 seem to be able to handle search tasks in Logos, photo editing in GIMP, and language data crunching with ease.

Posts 36
Nathan Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:04 PM

Ok, I notice the big concern of having a Laptop that can handle the Logos 4 software, when Windows  7 came out I went and dusted off a old Tablet pc which only 2.1 ghz and 2gig of ram and the Logos runs fine.  Your biggest concerns should rest with Hard drive size and other activies you plan to use the system for. The high end systems would greatly increase the speed of indexing after setup and updates. My second laptop is a little netbook with the atom 1.6 giz processor and Logos preforms fine on that unit also. I would recommend a good i3 or i5 and save the money to pick up any diesired tools for you library. Unless you are in to gaming or video editing then go for the higher end machines.Big Smile

Nathan Madison

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS