SOLID STATE HARDRIVE MEMORY: LOGOS?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 49
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:23 PM

Hi everyone:

I'm thinking of buying a Lenovo idea pad yoga to use both as a notebook and a tablet, but I'm concerned about the amount of harddrive memory they offer.

It offers a solid state hardrive with a maximum of 256 GB, but I'm not sure if this laptop will be enough to harbor a full version of Microsoft 2010, Logos 4 (Diamond), Bible Works 7 and WORDsearch9.

Should I consider it? Will I have enough room to fuzz with my logos and the other programs I have years to come? Just in case, the Ram will be 8 GB.

Thanks for your input...

Posts 59
Eric Ruhnow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:35 PM

I'm running on a 256GB SSD on my Lenovo E430 and have plenty of space for L5, Office 2013 Pro, Adobe Lightroom and Elements 10. This is with Win8 x64 Pro. I have tons of other stuff taking up space, and still have around 64GB free.

With what you have listed, those programs with the OS should only take about 100GB.

One nice thing about SSDs is that the r/w speeds really make having a pagefile for the OS unnecessary (will free up 6-12 GB there depending on your configuration).

Lenovo TS130 Xeon E3-1245V2 | 20GB | 256 GB SSD (OS and Logos) | 3TB WD Red | Windows 10 Pro x64

L4 & L5 Platinum, L6 Gold, L5 Reformed Gold, L6 Reformed Bronze, L7 Lutheran Silver, L7 Reformed Starter, L7 Full Feature Set

Posts 2844
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:03 PM

I am running Logos 5 with over 5,000 resources on a Dell Laptop with a 256 SSD. I also have Microsoft Office, Adobe Premiere Elements, Adobe Photoshop elements, have some 300 mp3 songs, a movie or two, itunes, and Audible books,Kindle App with a few dozen other books, and other stuff. I am careful to keep 30 to 50 Gig free.

I keep a small USB drive in my bag if I need to use more space than I have, but it is very rare that I have used it. L5 runs great on my Dell XP 17, with 256 SSD, i7 quad core, and Windows 8.  I have Logos L 5 Diamond plus other resources bought slowly over the last 18 years.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 49
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond... Smile

Posts 49
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:35 AM

Thank you. Now I feel much better... Geeked

God bless!

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:07 AM

Eric Ruhnow:

I'm running on a 256GB SSD on my Lenovo E430 and have plenty of space for L5, Office 2013 Pro, Adobe Lightroom and Elements 10. This is with Win8 x64 Pro. I have tons of other stuff taking up space, and still have around 64GB free.

With what you have listed, those programs with the OS should only take about 100GB.

One nice thing about SSDs is that the r/w speeds really make having a pagefile for the OS unnecessary (will free up 6-12 GB there depending on your configuration).

The need for a swapfile is dependent upon available RAM, not disk speed. I see you have 16GB so obviously you can get by without one. But many computers sold today still come with 2GB or even less. Turning off the swap file on a machine that has barely enough ram needs ssd speeds on the swapfile even more.

Posts 9304
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:24 AM

I read this thread with interest because I also have a Lenovo T520 with a solid state drive and I can't believe the difference it makes in performance - especially indexing. I'm only using 160 GB of my drive now with over 5,000 resources. I think you are going to be pleased with it Joseph.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 25864
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 3:31 PM

Eric Ruhnow:

John:
 The need for a swapfile is dependent upon available RAM, not disk speed. I see you have 16GB so obviously you can get by without one.

A bit risky though, and I would still allocate about 2 GB. But I disable Hibernation as this will use 16 GB of your SSD (same amount as installed RAM).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS