Lexham Bible Dictionary

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2012 8:30 PM

Is the Lexham Bible Dictionary intended to be a "growing" resource that is going to be continually updated which would make other dictionaries such as the AYBD obselete?

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 9:17 PM

Yes, LBD is supposed to be a growing and continually updated resource. I suspect it will never surpass AYBD in scholarship and depth, though. At the moment there really is no comparison:

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 7:34 AM

But the price is right...

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 7:48 AM

Suspecting that LBD will not exceed AYBD I think is a good suspicion. But I'd bet Logos has a lot hidden up their sleeve (not poker cards, of course). LBD would seem to have an immense potential for all kinds of 'electronic' magic ... pronunciations, imagery, videos, and who knows what.

I'd assume they could pack in various well known pastors, create multiple demoninational versions, etc. It's pretty exciting as a concept.

I'd also assume the LBD also has a financial payback for translation into other languages (since Logos gets the royalties etc).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 8:48 AM

Alan:
Is the Lexham Bible Dictionary intended to be a "growing" resource

Yes.

Alan:
which would make other dictionaries such as the AYBD obselete?

We aren't aiming to make anything obsolete. We are, however, intending to improve and extend the LBD indefinitely.

My understanding is that the AYBD hasn't had any revision in 15+ years. The LBD has had constant revision since its first release.

So while it may be far, far behind, I think that LBD has a good chance to overtake the AYBD if revision continues on LBD and not on AYBD. Because it doesn't matter how fast you're running if you're racing a stationary object.

Or, as we like to say around the office, "Everywhere is walking distance if you've got the time."

:-)

Posts 3541
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:12 AM

Very good points Bob!

Posts 1360
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 3:43 PM

Bob Pritchett:
"Everywhere is walking distance if you've got the time."

Big Smile I like that. I'll try to remember it.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:37 PM

[...] It will continue to be 'up-dated' .......til they get it right.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 639
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:54 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Or, as we like to say around the office, "Everywhere is walking distance if you've got the time."

That quote is from Steven Wright.

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:33 AM

Logos just updated the Lexham Bible Dictionary.  Is there any way to see what was changed or added? 

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 27
John D. Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:38 AM

Whenever we make major article updates (significant additions or new articles), we post on either the Faithlife blog ( http://blog.faithlife.com/ ) or the Logos blog ( http://blog.logos.com/ )--that's where we will tell you about what's been added.

If you don't see a post from us there, that means the update you just received involved a few corrections (typo fixes, etc.) and/or very minor additions. However, the recent update also included adding new tagging. If you own the the Perseus Collections, which are free -- http://www.logos.com/products/search?Product+Type=Perseus -- the resources mentioned in it, when included with a direct reference, will now be links in LBD.

Posts 737
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:16 PM

Tagging the LBC for direct Perseus references is one more astounding example of "the free stuff" Logos provides in such abundance. Many thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS