Suggestions for a commentary series

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:32 AM

I'm open to suggestions for a commentary series.

I'm in the Methodist Tradition (minister of a inner city church) and I stand within the more liberal tradition.

I don't have the luxury of many dollars as my stipend is in South Africa Rands which doesn't go very far - I thus need to make a well thought through purchase.

I favour writings from Abingdon Press but I see that there are sadly few resources in the Logos format. I would like the NIBC from Abingdon Press but am not sure if it's going to make it to Logos any time soon. So please help me with your suggestions.

With thanks in advance.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:46 AM

That is hard to say, I use a variety of commentaries from a variety of denominations.  (I like to see what everybody says)

On a side note, glad to see more South Africans aboard!  I spent some time in East London a few years back doing some mission work.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 5748
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 5:54 AM

Alan:
I would like the NIBC

NIBC was recently rebranded.  It is now called Understanding the Bible Commentary Series.  Only NT is available in Logos format at this point in time:

http://www.logos.com/product/5123/understanding-the-bible-commentary-series-new-testament

EDIT:

OT Set is on Pre-pub:

https://www.logos.com/product/22180/understanding-the-bible-commentary-series-old-testament

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:45 AM

Andrew Mckenzie:

Alan:
I would like the NIBC

NIBC was recently rebranded.  It is now called Understanding the Bible Commentary Series.  Only NT is available in Logos format at this point in time:

http://www.logos.com/product/5123/understanding-the-bible-commentary-series-new-testament

EDIT:

OT Set is on Pre-pub:

https://www.logos.com/product/22180/understanding-the-bible-commentary-series-old-testament

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, I was misleading there, I was referring to the New Interpreters Bible Commentary series. I personally find Baker publications on the conservative side and am looking for something more liberal.

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:48 AM

David Taylor Jr:

That is hard to say, I use a variety of commentaries from a variety of denominations.  (I like to see what everybody says)

On a side note, glad to see more South Africans aboard!  I spent some time in East London a few years back doing some mission work.

I agree. Multiple commentaries from a variety of perspectives would be the ideal. But my budget is very limited so still open for suggestions.

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:40 AM

Alan,

I am in the Methodist tradition myself, although on the more conservative side of the tradition.

Still I understand your perspective, and I would recommend The Interpretation commentaries to you.  I think they might be as close as you can come to what you are looking for in Logos at the present time.  Or there are the Hermeneia Commentaries, the Continental Commentaries, and the Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries.  They are probably not as Wesleyan as Interpretation, but they are on the somewhat more liberal viewpoint.   

Sadly, all strike me as a bit expensive.  Check on the prices from various sources, and you may find a great deal on some of them.  Hermeneia is often available for about the same price as the New Interpreter's Bible will sell for.  If buying from Logos, it often helps to contact a Logos sales rep by phone for the best price.  That is hard for an international customer to do.  Perhaps you could do so by email?  Or someone could call for you?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 8:47 AM

Thanks Michael for a helpful response

Posts 5748
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:29 PM

Alan:
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry, I was misleading there, I was referring to the New Interpreters Bible Commentary series. I personally find Baker publications on the conservative side and am looking for something more liberal.

No problem Alan,  I weren't 100% sure it was what you were looking for because of the publisher.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS