New Windows 8 RT tablet and now No Logos!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 14
. Richard Borden | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:15 AM

My laptop finally gave up its final breath and I decided to buy and new Windows 8 RT tablet. I knew before buying the RT tablet that it would not run Windows desktop software, however, I thought I would at least have Logos via the Microsoft store. Guess what, not there. Logos is available through the Microsoft store for the Windows 8 non RT tablets, ie., Samsung ATIV, but not for any RT tablets.

Are there plans to develop Logos for the RT platform? Tragically, I recently upgraded to Logos 5 and now have no ability to access any of my Logos library. Grant it, I should have verified that Windows 8 RT tablets would have some form of Logos but the store would not allow me internet access. There is some misinformation on the forums as to iff and what Logos the RT tablets will run. As of today, my RT tablet does not run Logos and the store has no Logos apps of any sort.

I hope this post helps those who might buy a Windows 8 RT tablet. I have seen Logos 5 run on the Samsung ATIV tablet but unfortunately the store was out!

God bless,

Richard

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:17 AM

Richard Borden:
My laptop finally gave up its final breath and I decided to buy and new Windows 8 RT tablet. I knew before buying the RT tablet that it would not run Windows desktop software, however, I thought I would at least have Logos via the Microsoft store. Guess what, not there. Logos is available through the Microsoft store for the Windows 8 non RT tablets, ie., Samsung ATIV, but not for any RT tablets.

Is there a return policy for your tablet? If not, tell me where you bought it, so I won't shop there.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 66
Christopher S Macy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:34 AM

There is an App for the RT Tablet. Its under the name Bible! (with the '!') Also, it is just to see and read your books only... for now, please reference this thread for more information. The Logos team said that they are currently working on more features of the RT app to bring it up to speed.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/56510.aspx

Posts 14
. Richard Borden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:31 AM

I do not see that app, bible! I did a couple of days ago on a non RT tablet. I wonder why I am not able to see this app on the store?

Posts 14
. Richard Borden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:52 AM

PS Even after installing all Windows and Asus updates no success. I have called and talked with Logos tech support and their Windows RT support machine sees many more store apps than my RT machine. Any ideas? Keep in mind, all updates are installed therefore you would think Logos RT and my RT machine would see the same apps in the store. Also, all filters are turned off on the app store.

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:38 PM

If that is going to be your only computer I would strongly suggest taking it back and getting a PC or Mac. I have an iPhone and iPad and even with the advanced state of those apps would never consider giving up my Mac and PC

Posts 25461
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:01 PM

Richard Borden:

PS Even after installing all Windows and Asus updates no success. I have called and talked with Logos tech support and their Windows RT support machine sees many more store apps than my RT machine. Any ideas? Keep in mind, all updates are installed therefore you would think Logos RT and my RT machine would see the same apps in the store. Also, all filters are turned off on the app store.

Is your tablet Intel or ARM-based?

The last I heard the app is only available on Intel RT tablets?

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:33 PM

Need to take it back and wait for an Windows 8 Pro tablet in January.....

Posts 27414
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:29 PM

Graham Criddle:

Is your tablet Intel or ARM-based?

The last I heard the app is only available on Intel RT tablets?

You are confused and I'm not too sure that I'm totally clear about this, but:

• Windows RT only runs on ARM processors  (Intel RT??)
  • Metro interface only runs on full Windows 8
  • If an app works in Windows 8 Metro, but does not open in Desktop mode, it will work on Windows RT.

So an app can be in the Windows Store but if it cannot run on Windows RT it won't be shown to users on RT?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 4162
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:31 PM

Running windows 8 pro here on my laptop (Not RT).

Didn't even know about an app store...

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 25461
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:40 PM

Dave Hooton:

You are confused and I'm not too sure that I'm totally clear about this, but:

• Windows RT only runs on ARM processors  (Intel RT??)

Hi Dave

I'm basing this on discussions where Logos say that support their app on x86 and x64 chips and are working on support for ARM (as in the Microsoft Slate)

See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/57269/411400.aspx#411400 for an example.

Having said that I could easily be confused here!

Graham 

Posts 27414
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:22 PM

Graham Criddle:
I'm basing this on discussions where Logos say that support their app on x86 and x64 chips and are working on support for ARM

Support for x86 and x64 chips  means running in the Metro interface of Windows 8.

Support for ARM means running in a cut-down Win8 called  Windows RT  &  RT only runs on ARM chips

Hence Intel RT is an oxymoron.

An app developed for Metro could run in Windows RT as they share the same API, but RT has more restrictions (partly through not running on x86/x64 chips).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 25461
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:34 PM

Dave Hooton:

Graham Criddle:
I'm basing this on discussions where Logos say that support their app on x86 and x64 chips and are working on support for ARM

Support for x86 and x64 chips  means running in the Metro interface of Windows 8.

Support for ARM means running in a cut-down Win8 called  Windows RT  &  RT only runs on ARM chips

Hence Intel RT is an oxymoron.

An app developed for Metro could run in Windows RT as they share the same API, but RT has more restrictions (partly through not running on x86/x64 chips).

Thanks Dave

Very helpful - apologies for the confusion

Graham 

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:10 AM

If you're looking to use the full power of Logos 5, you'll need to be using a computer with an Intel or AMD processor (either Windows or Mac). While we have published an app on the Windows Store, it is more similar to our iOS and Android apps than it is to our desktop application.

For reasons that I cannot understand, Microsoft chose to make their products for ARM devices nearly indistinguishable from their products for Intel/AMD devices. I'm sorry for the confusion this causes.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:41 PM

Richard Borden:

I hope this post helps those who might buy a Windows 8 RT tablet. I have seen Logos 5 run on the Samsung ATIV tablet but unfortunately the store was out!

Richard I admire you for being a pioneer. Win 8 RT is so new that there are almost no apps for it. A much safer bet is an iPad or an Android tablet.

I would take it back, if you can. Tablets are overrated. A keyboard is way better than a touchscreen. But tablets are a fad for now. If you want a tablet, Get an iPad.

Let us know how you do Smile

Posts 27414
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:59 PM

Graham Criddle:
Very helpful - apologies for the confusion

As I said, I wasn't sure and many other people aren't sure, mainly because M$ didn't clarify the products well enough as well as choosing "RT" (confused with Runtime) for the name. They now want to refer to the new style Windows 8 apps as "Windows Store apps" rather then Metro apps; and people should know that they don't run on the old style Desktop interface because they are really mobile apps that should also run on Windows RT (which dispenses with most of the old desktop interface).  But we know that mobile apps that run in Win 8 "Metro" may not run in Windows RT...

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:10 PM

What you are probably looking for is not quite here yet and is more along the line of a tablet that is an ultrabook with a touch screen and detachable/optional keyboard.

There will be a number of tablets from different manufacturers early in the new year which will run Windows 8 Pro and have detachable/attachable keyboards so they can double as netbook/ultrabooks as well as tablets: that generation of tablets should be able to run the full version of Logos (albeit without two or more 24inch display monitors that you might prefer in a desktop - and they will be a lot more expensive that the pre-christmas entry level tablets you can get now): something like a next generation Airbook that can also pretend to be a top end iPad

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:57 PM

You should be able to access Biblia via your Surface RT browser, and see many of your books.

While RT might be a good player in a couple years (once Modern-style apps have a foothold), I'm not planning to run anything other than Win 8 Pro...and if you buy a machine to do that, ensure that it doesn't have BIOS on the motherboard--the whole reason to go to Win8 right now is trusted/secure boot (i.e., prevents rootkits), and that will only be successful if the motherboard has NO BIOS.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:34 PM

Ward Walker:

ensure that it doesn't have BIOS on the motherboard--the whole reason to go to Win8 right now is trusted/secure boot (i.e., prevents rootkits), and that will only be successful if the motherboard has NO BIOS.

Secure boot doesnt just prevent rootkits. It also prevents YOU from installing anything else other than Win8. No Linux. No XP. Not even Win7. Microsoft loves it and the Linux community is scrambling now to try to find a way to save their OS.

Anyone buying a Win8 computer that thinks they might possibly want to install something else someday needs to be sure that it is possible to turn it OFF in BIOS/firmware configuration.

Posts 9154
LogosEmployee

Richard Borden:

Are there plans to develop Logos for the RT platform?

Yes, there is a Logos app (named "Bible!") for the Windows RT operating system. It currently supports x86, x64, and ARM processors, so it should run on any Windows RT tablet. (It's possible that the ARM version was only just recently approved, so it may not have been in the Store when you first checked.) This app will be like the iOS and Android versions of Logos; i.e., a program focused on reading, with searching available if you're online, but not having the full power of Logos Bible Software. Right now, it's a very early version, with limited functionality, but is receiving updates every few weeks. It can be discussed in this forum: http://community.logos.com/forums/108.aspx

Logos 5 runs great on Windows 8 (on any Intel or AMD-based system). This is the full desktop app with all the features (http://www.logos.com/features) you're used to. This does not run on Windows RT devices (i.e., the low-end Windows 8 tablets).

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS