Macbook Air?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Ben Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:06 AM

Hey Guys!

Wondering if anyone is using Logos 5 on a newer MacBook Air with only 4GB of Ram???  Looking at buying one to supplement an iMac so I don't need a beast, just something more powerful and capable than an iPad for traveling.  I know 8GB is better, but not looking to have to custom order if I can help it.

Thanks!

Posts 5476
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:11 AM

Hi Ben

Guess I am just the sort of chap you don't want to hear from. I have the 8GB version of the Air.
My iMac though has only 4GB and Logos is great on that.

I think the SSD is one of the things that makes it zip along on the air.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:01 AM

My experience has been the SSD drive helps with speed as much as the RAM. I am using a Macbook Air with 8GB of RAM as well and I am finding it very, very fast!

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:07 AM

Hi Ben,

I am using L5 on a MBA (2011) with 4GB of RAM and can confirm that the performance is more than acceptable. Indeed, the performs matches that of my desktop PC.

I am very pleased.

As Michael has already suggested, the SSD makes a huge difference.

Blessings

Posts 155
Pedro | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:09 AM

I have one MBA 13" (Mid 2011) 1.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM and 128 SSD, OSX 10.8.2 and Logos 5 runs without any problems, perhaps a little slow on some complex searches but it gets the job done.

Posts 44
Ben Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:21 PM

Yeah, my experience is the same with an SSD as I have one installed in my current MacBook.  Was just wondering the experience of others with the RAM as my wife has an Air with 4GB and was curious how nice the step would be.  Thanks!

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:41 PM

Ben Phillips:

Hey Guys!

Wondering if anyone is using Logos 5 on a newer MacBook Air with only 4GB of Ram???  Looking at buying one to supplement an iMac so I don't need a beast, just something more powerful and capable than an iPad for traveling.  I know 8GB is better, but not looking to have to custom order if I can help it.

Thanks!

There are always two points to seriously consider if getting a MacBook Air (I have one, they are great). After purchase:

1. You cannot change the CPU
  2. You cannot upgrade/increase the RAM

It costs $100 to go from 4GB of RAM to 8GB.

You can never have too much RAM, but you will have the machine for a number of years. You have to ask yourself is that $100 'saving' going to frustrate you, and will you regret it within a year.

I aways recommend to people to, at a minimum go for more RAM and, if they can stretch it, the faster CPU.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 44
Ben Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:51 PM

Thanks for the reminder Patrick, but I am well aware.  The same is true of the new 21 in. iMacs that are coming out Friday.  I am not a fan of the restriction, but you cannot much argue with the results!

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:01 PM

Ben Phillips:

Thanks for the reminder Patrick, but I am well aware.  The same is true of the new 21 in. iMacs that are coming out Friday.  I am not a fan of the restriction, but you cannot much argue with the results!

That's fine — important thing is to go into it understanding the options (and lack of options afterwards Wink) so eyes open.

Enjoy the new machine!

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS