Logos 5 Crashes when using Sense Lexicon et. al.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:53 AM

I just this morning crossgraded my old Libronix Scholar's Edition (which had been using the Logos 4 software) to Logos5 via the minimal crossgrade.  I purchased it, downloaded, installed, etc.

Now, whenever I try to use some of the new features (the sense lexicon, clicking on the "speaker label" next to some greek text).  Does it every time - freezes then gives the "logos 5 has stopped working" error and then crashes out.

I've attached my log files from the most recent time.  Any help you can give would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Phil

2555.Logos Log Files.zip 

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 1:10 PM

Hi there, some questions/things to check:

1. Has the download of all new resources happened, did it look successful?
  2. Has the indexing stopped?
  3. If you choose the 'About' screen for Logos what version do you see? If you are running the latest it should show 'Logos Bible Software 5.0a (5.0.10220)
  4. If you enter 'Update Now' into the command entry field does anything happen, does it say it is downloading anything
  5. If you enter 'Update Resources' in command entry field (this will take some time to complete) does the app say it needs to download anything
  6. Do you have any old Layouts from Logos 4? Try loading Logos 5 and telling it not to load Layouts by pressing and holding (on Mac it is [Command]) Alt (?) key.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:05 PM

Philip Casmer:

I've attached my log files from the most recent time.  Any help you can give would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Phil

Peace, Philip!                  Welcome to the Logos Forums where we try to support and encourage one another 24 hours a day.  I'm one who does not know how to read log files; however, I would think that perhaps soon one who is able to read log files will come along and respond to you!                *smile*

So ....        if nothing happens soon, please post again.                Forum Traffic is extremely heavy today.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:29 PM

Philip Casmer:

Noticed a number of async errors; suggest contacting Logos Technical Support => http://www.logos.com/contact

Wonder if Bible Sense Lexicon works when offline ? (launch Logos, then quickly press and hold ctrl key until login dialog appears, then click work offline).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:50 AM

Thanks for the reply...

1.  Yes and yes

2.  Yes but I was also working during the indexing time - so I can't say with complete certainty that it finished before I crashed the thing out - I can say that when I've started since, it's not begun indexing or downloading again and it still crashes out.

3.  Yes to latest version

4. No updates

5. No updates to resources

6. I do have layouts from Logos 4, but I'm not sure I understand this one - I hold control and get that login window and can choose blank layout - but my layouts still appear in the layout "window"...; I tried Alt too but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Posts 25872
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:19 PM

Philip Casmer:
I do have layouts from Logos 4, but I'm not sure I understand this one - I hold control and get that login window and can choose blank layout - but my layouts still appear in the layout "window"...;

That's normal. But do you recognise any Named Layouts that you created in Logos 4 (ignore the "application closed" layouts)? Try loading one of them, but if it crashes you will have to rebuild it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:33 PM

Yes, I have named layouts.  In fact, after the upgrade I had begun using my normal Greek study layout right away.  I loaded it from the Layout window - it did not crash.  I have not experienced any crashes related to loading old layouts or to building new ones.  The only crashes I've experienced have been with any of the new features.  

Posts 25872
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 2:16 AM

Philip Casmer:
The only crashes I've experienced have been with any of the new features.  

Has the situation improved since the latest round of data set updates and since installing 5.0a SR-1?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:01 AM

I received the update to SR-1 last night.  No change.  This morning I opened Logos, went straight to the sense lexicon for a test, and it crashed out.  I do have an email in to Logos Technical Support.  Hopefully they'll get back to me.  

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody...really appreciate them.

Posts 18
Matt Ediger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:28 AM

2870.LogosError.logI just noticed this as well. I have a certain layout that when I use the sense lexicon it crashes. If, however, I just open a bible on a blank workspace and use the sense lexicon it runs fine. Wait... As I was typing that last sentence it crashed from the open layout! I think I have the latest update (5.0a SR-1 5.0.1.0241).

Posts 25872
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 12:27 PM

Matt Ediger:
I have a certain layout that when I use the sense lexicon it crashes.

There is no crash information in the error log -> read the section under Logos 5 for OS x at http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging and upload error/crash logs + logos.log.

Can you describe the inputs to the Sense Lexicon that cause a crash?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 18
Matt Ediger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:49 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I am new to this reporting thing... If I understood your directions here goes:

I am studying a Exodus 20:16 from the ESV with the reverse interlinear open on the bottom. From there if I select either "deception" or "witness (legal)" the BSL opens, sometimes and will stay open for a short time. Sometimes it just crashes.

I am running L5 on a MacBook Pro 13" with 8gb Ram and 2.9ghz dual core I7 processor. I tend to float several windows and then maximize them so... I guess that is the same as having L5 on multiple desktops. But this issue happens with just one desktop open as well.

2352.Logging 2.zip

Posts 25872
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:28 PM

Thanks Matt, that should be enough for Logos.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:33 AM

Just bumping my own thread here...  How long does it normally take for Logos Tech support to get back to you on an email request?  I'm assuming someone Logos-official runs through the forum posts as well?  

Still having the same issues...any help appreciated.

Thx,

Phil

Posts 25872
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 9:09 PM

Philip Casmer:
How long does it normally take for Logos Tech support to get back to you on an email request?  I'm assuming someone Logos-official runs through the forum posts as well?  

I don' t have a clear idea from the logs you provided, so would be dependent on Logos Tech to interpret. Hopefully on Monday.

Philip Casmer:
Still having the same issues...any help appreciated.

You could try to Repair the installation from  Control Panel >> Programs and Features. Right click Logos Bible software and select Repair.

If not successful see below.

Philip Casmer:
Now, whenever I try to use some of the new features (the sense lexicon, clicking on the "speaker label" next to some greek text)

Do you have sections in the Help (?) menu --> About Logos ... for ==>  Bible Sense Lexicon, Speaker Labels, Timelines etc. What is the date on each?

It would help if you provide logs for each feature that causes a crash  e.g. one for the "speaker label", one for the Sense Lexicon, etc. (label them so I know which is which, with a description of actions performed).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:37 AM

Thank you Dave,

I've heard back from Tech Support, but the responses have been "preliminary" - still working.  So, I thank you for your response and I'll drop in here what you requested as well.

First, I'll hold off on the repair installation until I hear back from Logos Tech again.

Second, I've checked the help file and the new tools seem to be presented there...

Third, here are some logs with descriptions:

1. 8357.Logos Log Files - Speaker Label.zip
    1. Process - Opened Logos 5, loaded my Saturday workspace from last-minute sermon thoughts (Luke 21:29), hovered mouse over the speaker label at v.29, Logos 5 crashed out...
  2. 4657.Logos Log Files - Sense Lexicon.zip
    1. Process - Opened Logos 5, loaded my Saturday workspace (just a note, the same things have happened with any workspace or from the home page), went up to the "Tools" menu, clicked on Sense Lexicon, it opened the window with words loading on the left and then crashed out...

I hope that's clearer.  Thanks again for any help you give.

Phil

Posts 8728
LogosEmployee

Philip Casmer:

I just this morning crossgraded my old Libronix Scholar's Edition (which had been using the Logos 4 software) to Logos5 via the minimal crossgrade.

As per the Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade page, "The Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade is designed only for users who are coming from a Logos 4 base package. If you have never owned a Logos 4 base package, you will need to also purchase the Logos 4 Minimal Crossgrade." (Owning a Logos 4 base package is not the same as running Logos 4.)

Many of the Logos 5 features build on top of the features and datasets included in Logos 4; they will not work properly without the purchase of either a) a full Logos 5 base package (not just the minimal crossgrade) or b) the addition of the Logos 4 Minimal Crossgrade if you don't want to buy a full base package.

We are investigating the crash you reported; it's most likely due to running Logos 5 with incomplete datasets. We will fix this, but as I mentioned above, when the bug is fixed you'll probably find that many of the new features are incomplete or not working properly.

Posts 8
Philip Casmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:07 AM

So, I guess I would need from you guys just a clear path after this, regardless of what you find.  Obviously, I'll wait to hear.

If I need to also purchase the Logos 4 minimal crossgrade, that's fine - I'll do that.  But, what would be my process be?  Delete my current setup and redownload after purchasing the Logos 4 Min Cross you linked to...  Or can I just purchase the Logos 4 Min Cross and it'll right itself? 

Basically, how do I rectify where I'm at, I guess?  I'm the guinea pig at our place and my associate will embark on the same (hopefully better) process when I'm through this...

Thanks for all the help.

Phil

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:31 AM

Philip Casmer:
Basically, how do I rectify where I'm at, I guess?

If you purchase the L4 minimal crossgrade the resoruces in question will be downloaded automatically.

Note that we are also working on a fix for this particular crash but without the L4 Minimal Crossgrade Bradley mentioned in his post you will be missing some things that add quite a bit of the value added in L5 (because much of it was built on Reverse Interlinear data).

Posts 8728
LogosEmployee

Philip Casmer:

If I need to also purchase the Logos 4 minimal crossgrade, that's fine - I'll do that.  But, what would be my process be?  Delete my current setup and redownload after purchasing the Logos 4 Min Cross you linked to...  Or can I just purchase the Logos 4 Min Cross and it'll right itself? 

There's no need to delete anything. As soon as you've purchased the Logos 4 MC on logos.com, Logos 5 will download and install it the next time you start the application.

Once the Logos 4 files are installed, these crashes should be resolved. (We will also be shipping a software update to fix them, but that may not happen for at least a couple of days.)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS