Logos 5 resource download faster than Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:51 AM

Downloading resources for Logos 5 seems much faster than Logos 4.

It took 24 hours to initially install Logos 4 with 2 GB of resources. But the Logos 5 upgrade downloaded 2 GB in less than an hour.

I also installed Logos 4 in a virtual XP box with VMWare on my Quad code i7 Windows computer. It has taken 36 hours to download the resources. Granted, this is a fresh installation and there are more resources. But in the time it took to download 1% of the resources on the virtual machine, the entire Logos 5 update downloaded.

Does anyone know if they are using a different server for resources and synchronization for Logos 5? This is an impressive improvement in installation speed and should create a better first experience for new users.

Posts 99
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 6:08 PM

I don't think it is any faster.  My laptop has simply been "downloading 3.86 GB of resources (goring from Logos 4 to Logos 5) and that has been downloading 4 hours and it is only 30% done.  I just don't understand why DOWNLOADING any bunch of data would take this long. Is it trying to do it "in the background"???   I know it indexes in the background.. I have no problem with that.  BUT WHY WOULD DOWNLOADING the files take so long?  Rediculous.  At this rate, it will be downloading tomorrow morning still.  And I better fix the laptop so it doesn't go to sleep.  

I just wish there was a DOWNLOAD FILE NOW option.  And it would take maybe 20 or 20 minutes at full speed with my connection to the internet.  There is just no reason to DOWNLOAD the resources for 24 hours, before you can even begin installing them. Uggh. 

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

We have a project underway to investigate alternative CDN options (and one of the primary criteria is download speed). So this should improve in the future, but unfortunately there's no way to speed up the resource download today.

Posts 19307
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 8:00 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
We have a project underway to investigate alternative CDN options (and one of the primary criteria is download speed). So this should improve in the future

Does this mean downloading might get faster for Canadian (CDN) users? Wink Now I'd be happy about that.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2013 7:26 AM

Out of curiosity, is downloading multi-part, or maybe multi-doc? That could speed things up. [Secret sauce: you could restrict it to initial setups only]

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Lee:

Out of curiosity, is downloading multi-part, or maybe multi-doc?

Multiple resources will be downloaded simultaneously.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS