Some suggestions about popular hightlights

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:34 PM

The "popular highlights" visual filter uses a soft underline, which is fine because it does not get in the way of reading.

I have a few suggestions about how they are displayed:

1. The big text that says "[6 highlights]" interrupts the flow of reading. It would be better if it were a small number or even if you were to hover over the highlight an a balloon pop-up show the number of highlights. I want to keep this community highlighting unobtrusive.
  2. I don't think 5 or 6 people highlighting something is very significant. Somehow I think the minimum number should be much higher to be significant.
  3. I would like to have an option in the "Next" and "Previous" button to move to the next/previous popular highlights. Right now I can jump to my own next highlight ("Annotation"). I would like to have the same option for popular highlights.

Is there any way to change how the popular highlights are marked?

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:10 PM

Harry Hahne:
The big text that says "[6 highlights]" interrupts the flow of reading.

+1

Harry Hahne:
I don't think 5 or 6 people highlighting something is very significant. Somehow I think the minimum number should be much higher to be significant.

It is my understanding that there isn't a set threshold, but it is dynamic. A more widely read and marked resource would have a higher threshold than a lesser read / marked one.

Harry Hahne:
I would like to have an option in the "Next" and "Previous" button to move to the next/previous popular highlights.

+1

Harry Hahne:

Do you mean visually? I would like the ability to change the style, but if it can't be changed by the user, they have chosen wisely.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:41 PM

Harry Hahne:

The "popular highlights" visual filter uses a soft underline, which is fine because it does not get in the way of reading.

I have a few suggestions about how they are displayed:

1. The big text that says "[6 highlights]" interrupts the flow of reading. It would be better if it were a small number or even if you were to hover over the highlight an a balloon pop-up show the number of highlights. I want to keep this community highlighting unobtrusive.
  2. I don't think 5 or 6 people highlighting something is very significant. Somehow I think the minimum number should be much higher to be significant.
  3. I would like to have an option in the "Next" and "Previous" button to move to the next/previous popular highlights. Right now I can jump to my own next highlight ("Annotation"). I would like to have the same option for popular highlights.

Yes

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:52 AM

Harry Hahne:
I don't think 5 or 6 people highlighting something is very significant. Somehow I think the minimum number should be much higher to be significant.

Such a low number of highlights does not seem to be very popular. If the threshold is set this low, the whole thing rapidly become meaningless.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:00 AM

Harry Hahne:
The big text that says "[6 highlights]" interrupts the flow of reading. It would be better if it were a small number or even if you were to hover over the highlight an a balloon pop-up show the number of highlights. I want to keep this community highlighting unobtrusive.

We will be improving the style in a future version of the app.

Harry Hahne:

As indicated by others, the threshold for whether we show a highlight changes based on how many highlights there are in the resource as a whole. Even in resources with few highlights, we've found that this feature often does a good job of emphasizing key points, arguments, etc.

However, we're still tweaking the algorithm by which we decide how to include a highlight. If you find that particularly inane sections of text are flagged as "popular highlights", posting them may help us improve the data set.

Harry Hahne:

Not at this time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 28
Gerald Kapanka | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:10 AM

Great suggestions! Thank you.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:21 PM

The "popular highlights" feels a bit like reading a library book that a borrower has marked up.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS