Power Lookup

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:38 AM

I am sure there is a simple explanation for what I'm encountering but I've yet to discover it. I open the Bible (ESV) to, say, Matthew 18:10. then right click and select Power Lookup for the reference. In the far right a narrow window opens with passages from different Bibles and then my commentaries following, all in accordance with my Priorities. Then, I decide I don't like the narrow window so I drag the Power Lookup to the middle space, which is open, to get a better look at it, and the content completely changes. Then I begin to experiment with it, closing the window and selecting the same scripture again, but this time go to the menu bar Tools, Lookup, Power Lookup, and it gives me the second set of references (the ones I got when I dragged the narrow column to the middle column.). I then drag that content to the middle window and it remains the same. Obviously I'm getting two different results, depending on whether I right click and then drag those results to another window, or use the tool bar option. What am I missing here, fellow heathens? Thank you. :-)

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:04 AM

When I do this, I get the identical lookup in both situations, with the exception that the 'unattached' power lookup is much longer, and includes more Bibles and commentaries. If you want to compare them, you could copy them into two Word documents, and then click "View Side by Side" and "Synchronous Scrolling" to determine the differences.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:06 AM

I am pretty confident I'm not getting the same result. I compared them extensively. I wonder if I'm right clicking in the wrong place or something.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:09 AM

David S. Limbaugh:

I am pretty confident I'm not getting the same result. I compared them extensively. I wonder if I'm right clicking in the wrong place or something.

Did you make sure that 'Reference' was selected when you did the right click? You could upload two Word documents with the results from each lookup if you want.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:13 AM

Let me ask you this: If you use Matthew 18:10 what is the first entry you show in the Power Lookup window. When I do it by right-clicking I get the same verse from the ESV first, followed by Parable of the Lost Sheep references from NIV, then other Bible versions, then selections from my commentaries. If, on the other hand, I drag that window to the center section or use the tool menu in the first place to do the Power Lookup I get an entirely different result, beginning with an entry that says "References ESV" followed by a ton of Bible verses -- and never any commentaries.

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:15 AM

yes, References is selected. But no matter what the problem is, I can see no logical explanation for the content changing when I drag the window.

Posts 25983
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:16 AM

Hi David

Power Lookup works differently depending on what options you select - for a description see the article at http://wiki.logos.com/Power_Lookup

This explains why you get different results between the right-click menu and selecting Power Lookup from the Tools menu.

David S. Limbaugh:
so I drag the Power Lookup to the middle space, which is open, to get a better look at it, and the content completely changes.

This I don't see. Is it possible that after dragging the pane you clicked on a word inside it which would cause Power Lookup to change its behaviour

Graham 

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:30 AM

It IS kind of strange. I don't use Power Lookup since I've never gotten it to work (at least the way it's described). In any event, I tried David's Mat 18:10 and right-clicked a Power Lookup for the reference. What's so weird is everything's scrambled ... verses of other translations, commentaries, original text etc. ... maybe 30-40 entries. I wonder what the coder might have been thinking (or maybe my scrambled-egg version makes sense to everyone else).

I could reproduce David's issue (I assume) .. on mine one pulls a million verses; on the other it's just the footnotes (both set to 'follow' though they don't seem to follow very good).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 25983
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:32 AM

DMB:
What's so weird is everything's scrambled ... verses of other translations, commentaries, original text etc. ... maybe 30-40 entries. I wonder what the coder might have been thinking (or maybe my scrambled-egg version makes sense to everyone else).

From the wiki article I referenced above:

• If the resource is a Bible or Commentary, then this method will provide you with a list of this reference from multiple Bibles in the Power Lookup window.
  • The list in the Power Lookup window may contain that passage from all your Bibles as well as your Commentaries and references from Treasury of Scripture Knowledge and other resources (the list can be quite long)

So the "scrambling" effect you mention may be related to your prioritisation.

Does this make sense?

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:38 AM

What you're saying makes sense (as programmed). I just can't imagine looking for ISV right in the middle of some commentaries. My sahidic is in the top of the list and the sahidic-english is further down a couple pages (these are of course separate resouces). But I'd assume you'd really have to be careful on the prioritizations to make it work logically (if you have mucho 'Bibles').  I notice it didn't pull the papyri but who knows.

I wonder why they didn't group them (Bibles, commentaries, etc).

Well anyway, I'll continue not using it ... not an issue for me.

Posts 30678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:39 AM

David S. Limbaugh:
I can see no logical explanation for the content changing when I drag the window

David - I concur. Here are some screen shots. Notice that the results have changed by simply dragging the panel. I assume that you are on Mac… Is that right David?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:42 AM

DMB:
I'll continue not using it ... not an issue for me.

Power Lookup is fantastic for lemmas, but pretty useless (IMO) for Bible References (unless, perhaps you have a small library).

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:47 AM

Graham Criddle:

Power Lookup works differently depending on what options you select - for a description see the article at http://wiki.logos.com/Power_Lookup

This explains why you get different results between the right-click menu and selecting Power Lookup from the Tools menu.

David S. Limbaugh:
so I drag the Power Lookup to the middle space, which is open, to get a better look at it, and the content completely changes.

This I don't see. Is it possible that after dragging the pane you clicked on a word inside it which would cause Power Lookup to change its behaviour

I've tried this also, and get the same results as Graham, but I remember that if you have the "follow" selected in the Power Lookup, it acts differently than if it's un-selected. I think that in David's case he is using the Power Lookup with follow turned on, which I have too, and I get the same results as mentioned above when I click in the ESV (that's Bible verses and no commentaries, etc as it follows that Bible's screen). When I right click and select reference I get the same results each time, which includes commentaries etc., even when dragging the power lookup to different frames (making sure I don't accidently click on a different resource).

Ralph

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:47 AM

On the lemmas, probably so. I keep about 5 each of hebrew/greek lexicons always open arranged by target dating, and in a specific location (as well as the apparti sp?).

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:48 AM

Yes, on Mac. Thank you for the validation :-).

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:52 AM

What do you mean by "have the follow selected in the Power Lookup?" I see no place to enter such an option. I use Mac.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:06 AM

Click on the lightning bolt on the top left of the Power Lookup panel. (where a book cover normally is)

Posts 30678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:38 AM

David S. Limbaugh:
Yes, on Mac.

I would have been very disappointed if you weren't. Wink

David S. Limbaugh:
What do you mean by "have the follow selected in the Power Lookup?" I see no place to enter such an option.

After experimenting awhile, I think Ralph is right. We must have both had power lookup set to "follow." In the screen shot below, click on the power lookup menu in the upper left corner, then set the "Link Set" to "None." 

FYI - The second set of results that we were both getting were showing things like cross references in the ESV. Quite useful when that is what you are looking for. Not so much when you are not. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:29 AM

You are exactly right DMB. Thank you. I did find the follow selection and de-selected it and now I have the same result whether I drag the window to the center panel or not. But guess what? It introduces a new problem, which is, I assume, why it defaulted to "follow" in the first place, i.e, when I de-select follow and choose Power Lookup from the Tools menu instead of via right-clicking I come up with blanks in the contents. This is getting laughable. But we're making progress. Thank you.

Posts 21
David S. Limbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:30 AM

Sorry, that last reply should have been directed to Ralph, I think. Hard to read some of these replies on my Mac -- which is another issue altogether. :-)

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS