Older resources republished by Logos

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:44 PM

I've finally sorted out my library and tagged everything.

I have spotted several books and collections from way back that have been republished by Logos - is there a way to upgrade to the new logos books or do I have to re-buy the collections at the full price?

For example, I have the Wesley collection by Ages Software (1999) which is in the lbxlls format. Logos now covers the same resources in logos4 format. I presume the former, while still readable in the logos software, is neither supported by logos and will not be updated with logos in text tagging etc.

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:17 PM

Alan:

I've finally sorted out my library and tagged everything.

I have spotted several books and collections from way back that have been republished by Logos - is there a way to upgrade to the new logos books or do I have to re-buy the collections at the full price?

For example, I have the Wesley collection by Ages Software (1999) which is in the lbxlls format. Logos now covers the same resources in logos4 format. I presume the former, while still readable in the logos software, is neither supported by logos and will not be updated with logos in text tagging etc.

when you run logos update, does it tell you a newer version exists? if so then its a free update. there may not be anything updated but the file format. if not, then they are considering it a new resource.

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:45 PM

John:
 when you run logos update, does it tell you a newer version exists? if so then its a free update. there may not be anything updated but the file format. if not, then they are considering it a new resource.

The latter, so I presume Logos considers it a new resource 

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:17 AM

Alan:

That's correct. When Logos started out, it allowed publishers to use Logos tools to create Logos books, and the publisher retained control over the books. They don't allow that any more. So Logos' contract almost certainly wouldn't allow them to update the old Ages resource, and even if they did they couldn't afford it because they only received a small percentage of the sales. Logos now publishes everything itself, which is why you're seeing some republishing of public-domain works going on.

When the Spurgeon set was republished, users who had the AGES set were offered a discount, but this wasn't done with Wesley. I don't know why. You could always try contacting sales as see if you can negotiate something.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 2952
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 7:58 PM

Mark Barnes:
When the Spurgeon set was republished, users who had the AGES set were offered a discount, but this wasn't done with Wesley. I don't know why. You could always try contacting sales as see if you can negotiate something.

You are mistaken.  There was a discount for Wesley's Works.  However, it was not as much as the discount for Spurgeon.  That is because there is new content in Wesley's Journals that was not included in the old Jackson edition of Wesley's Works published by Ages.  Spurgeon's Sermon Collection is the exact same content, and I understand will be a free update. Can't get a better discount than that!  I owned both of the Ages products.

(I do think the discount on Wesley's Works was not really enough, but that is a matter of opinion, and I had a vested interest.)  Don't remember exactly how much it was, but I do remember complaining about it.  Wink  However, there is a better edition of Wesley's Journals in the new Logos version.  Indeed, the old version leaves out a year or two that is included in the newer one, if memory serves.  So I bought Wesley again.  After all, you cannot have too much Wesley. 

I just wish the only real scholarly critical edition of Wesley, with helpful footnotes and introductions, would one day be published by Logos.  I refer to the Abingdon Bicentennial Edition of Wesley's Works, with notes by Dr. Tom Oden and others.  I have it on my computer in the Abingdon Folio (Boo!) edition.  That makes three editions of Wesley on my computer. 

Do you note my "more Wesleyan than thou" attitude?  I apologize.  Angry  Apparently I believe in Wesleyan Sanctification, but I just can't seem to practice it.

I think there was a time limit on the discount for the owners of the Ages Wesley edition, but I agree that it would be well worth calling a Logos sales rep to talk about a discount for the new edition.  They do try to help us when they can.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:10 AM

Michael Childs:
You are mistaken.

That's good.

Michael Childs:
Apparently I believe in Wesleyan Sanctification, but I just can't seem to practice it.

Smile

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:59 AM

I actually own 7 or 8 CDs for AGES software, but they are all in PDF format.  Which unless I want to make PBBs, they just collect dust.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:20 AM

Travis Walter:
I actually own 7 or 8 CDs for AGES software, but they are all in PDF format.

But at least Logos gives you a way to do that. That's a plus.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 177
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:35 AM

Thank you Logos!

To answer my own question, all my older Wesley/Methodist resources have been updated to the new Logos versions!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS