Read the Fathers

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:12 AM

I stumbled across this site which is basically a community reading group for reading through the Church Fathers over the next 7 years — if that's something you have ever considered, it has started this week!

http://www.readthefathers.org

Because their reading plan is manually generated to make the readings close in size I couldn't replicate it too easily in a Logos reading plan, but I have created a Lectionary Personal book for the first 12 months of the reading plan to follow along...

If you're interested, here's the files:

Lectionary with links to Early Church Fathers (Protestant Edition) 0714.Read the Fathers2.docx)  

Lectionary with links to Early Church Fathers (Catholic Edition) 2425.Read the Fathers.docx 

Cover image: 

Edit: Wiki: How to compile a Personal book in Logos

Posts 27688
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 10:26 AM

It would be interesting to see who sticks it out from week one for seven entire years. Send me a reminder in December, 2019. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
David W Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:38 AM

Thanks, Jon - this is great information!

Posts 67
Jim L. West | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:51 PM

Thanks Jon. I compiled the PB set it as type:Lectionary, prioritized it as my top/default lectionary. But, it does not show up on my Home Page ( I do have the Lectionary box checked), is it supposed to show up?

Posts 2333
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:36 PM

Thanks Jon!

I just compiled the book.

Posts 24
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:48 PM

Jim,

This has happened with other Lectionary PBs.  I think it is a bug OR only Logos produced Lectionary books can show up on the Home Page

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:43 PM

Jon:

Cover image: 

Peace, Jon!           *smile*

Your post just simply blows my mind out of existence!                  First, who is this guy that's pictured ...   Iconized?      One of the Church Fathers, I'm sure!

I'm an old guy, very happy, with a Blessed Life -- such a very happy camper indeed -- Good Wife - Good Family - Good Congregation - Lots of Bibles and other Resources with Logos Bible Software ..................                    However, although retired, I do not have the time to do the things I want to do, much less the things I should do, that I feel God wants me to                I do not have time!!!

Now, Jon!  *smile*          You come along with a fantastic opportunity that's probably beyond my handling at this time.  I thank you!  I plan to compile an appropriate Logos resource, but will try to set it to "space out" a bit my reading of the Church Fathers.

So, I'll try once again to prioritise my life and my time, remembering that our Beloved God Who Created Time and put us into Time wants us "to redeem the time, because the days are evil."                     Maybe I should do a Bible Word Study on Time, eh?  Kairos??  Chronos??

The following prose poem is kept on my iPad2 to help me focus in again and again in devotion on Who I Am ...    AND     Whose I Am...  Hope you enjoy...    and ...    Thank you, Jon!  *smile*

Lord I Have Time

By Michel Quoist

I've been out, Lord,
Outside people were going out.
They were going,
They were coming,
They were walking,
They were rushing.

Motor bikes were rushing by,
Cars were rushing by,
Trucks were rushing by.
The street was rushing,
The city was rushing,
The whole world was rushing.

They were rushing so as not to lose time.
They were rushing after time to catch up with time,
to gain time.
Goodbye sir, excuse me, I haven't time.
I'll come back, I can't wait, I haven't time.

I'd like to help you, but I haven't time.
I can't accept, for lack of time.
I can't reflect, read, I'm snowed under, I haven't time.

The child - he's playing,
he hasn't time at the moment....later on...
The schoolboy - he's got his homework,
he hasn't time...later on...
The student - he's got his lectures, and such a lot of work,
The young man - he's playing sport,
The married man - he has his house to run,
he hasn't time...and later on...
The father - he has his children,
he hasn't time...and later on...
The grandparents - they have their grandchildren,
they haven't time...later on...
They're sick! They have their cares,
they haven't time...later...
They're dying, they have...
Too late! They haven't any more time!
That's how they're all rushing after time, Lord.

They pass by on earth, always rushing, hurrying,
jostling, weighed down, snowed under, nearly demented.
And they never get there, there's not enough time.
Despite all their efforts, there's never enough time.

Lord, you must have made a mistake somewhere.
There's been a tremendous oversight.
The hours are too short, the days are too short,
lives are too short.

You, who are outside of time,
You smile, Lord, to see us struggle with it.
And you know what You are doing.
You don't make mistakes when You allot time to men.
You give to each one the time to do what You want him to do.

But is it wrong to lose time, to waste time, to kill time,
For time is Your gift to us -
But a perishable gift, a gift that doesn't keep.
Lord, I have time
I have all my time,
All the time You gave me,
The years of my life,
The days of my years,
They are all mine. Mine to fill up calmly, peacefully,
But to fill up completely, right to the brim -
To offer to You, that of their stale water
You may make a generous wine, as once at Cana for a
human wedding feast.

I don't ask this evening Lord,
for time to do this or that.
I ask for the grace to do conscientiously,
in the time that You gave me,
the thing that You want me to do.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2333
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:14 PM

John Zerbel:

Jim,

This has happened with other Lectionary PBs.  I think it is a bug OR only Logos produced Lectionary books can show up on the Home Page

I would love to put this on the home page, but for now I dragged the icon for the personal book I created to the top of my Logos window.  I can click on the icon and it will open up the book.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:20 PM

Thanks Jon!  That is helpful.  Just compiled the book.  Works great, and I intend to use it.  Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:22 PM

Thanks for the poem Milford – very helpful, it always feels like there are many things I would do if I had more time... I'm not sure which of the church fathers the picture represents, I trimmed down the banner that the readthefathers.org site uses so that it would work as  a book cover.

Jim L. West:

Thanks Jon. I compiled the PB set it as type:Lectionary, prioritized it as my top/default lectionary. But, it does not show up on my Home Page ( I do have the Lectionary box checked), is it supposed to show up?

I found that if I prioritise it, it does come up in the Lectionary spot at the top of the ribbon, but it doesn't show a link to the reading there as it does for Logos' lectionaries. In the end I also decided to drag it to the shortcuts bar which is just as easy, and will open up at today's date when you click it.
Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 12:55 AM

Milford Charles Murray:
However, although retired, I do not have the time to do the things I want to do, much less the things I should do, that I feel God wants me to                I do not have time!!!

Retired or not, most people wont have the time to read all of the Fathers. But it is a shame that most have not even tooken the time to read the most important Father...Augustine.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:15 AM

Evan Boardman:
Retired or not, most people wont have the time to read all of the Fathers.

Rather most will not take the 20 minutes or so a day to do so.  Most are not interested enough in what the Church Fathers had to say. 

But "not having the time" is like saying I don't have time to read the Bible.  That is just another way of saying, "It is not important enough to take 20 minutes of my day."  You can make 20 minutes for anything that is really important.  Strangely, guys like Calvin, Luther, Wesley, etc. thought the Church Fathers were well worth their time.  But what do those guys know?

But I agree most will not, and quite possibly - likely - not me, either.  But I am going to give it a try.  And if I don't read it all, I will enjoy the part that I do.

I would love to have this Personal Book on my iPad!  That would be so helpful.  Since that is not possible, may Logos could publish this for us?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:19 AM

Michael Childs:
I would love to have this Personal Book on my iPad?  That would be so helpful.

YesYesYes

With the gradual role out of all the different types of shared documents, I hope it's not too far away Smile

Posts 26546
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:36 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
First, who is this guy that's pictured ...   Iconized?      One of the Church Fathers, I'm sure!

Assuming it's from the website: "If you want to let the people know, the person in the image is John Chrysostom. From left to right, the people in our header image are Basil the Great, John Chrysostom, and Gregory Nazianzus, collectively known as the Three Holy Hierarchs."

Milford Charles Murray:
By Michel Quoist

Glad to see you quoting French priestsWink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 4:07 PM

MJ. Smith:
Glad to see you quoting French priestsWink
MJ. Smith:
the person in the image is John Chrysostom

Peace and Every Blessing, Martha!          Thanks for your forensic ID of John Chrysostom!    I saved that icon on my hard drive for future reference.  I know that you like to research just about everything.  Before I moved to my present location I was Pastor (Lutheran) near Newmarket, Ontario and was quite impressed with the Roman Catholic Parish of John Chrysostom that has about 90 active pages.  Used to drive by that Church (yes, I know the Church is People and the building is a building!) and appreciated the intense community spirit of the parish.  Soooooo ...         I include in my thanks to you this URL in the event you would like to take a peek.

http://www.stjohnchrysostom.on.ca/index.html

Am glad you are familiar with Michel Quoist, one of very favourite Christian authors!      *smile*        

He had a very difficult life and spent so many hours and days in prayer and meditation re. "The Meaning of Life"!      His comforting and only answer was Jesus Christ, our Beloved Lord and Saviour!

I'd pay Vyrso.com a premium if somehow they could obtain the right to sell some of his books!         Right now I'm extremely interested in: 

Some of other titles of Quoist books (date of publication of the English translations from the French):

1954 Prayers Of Life
1965 The Christian Response
1971 Christ Is Alive
1972 I've Met Jesus Christ
1973 Meet Christ And Live

However, I only want these in electronic format, preferably compatible with Logos for my iPad..     If you're interested, here's a few more excerpts from this departed Brother in Christ ................http://pollypilgrim.wordpress.com/prayer-page/extract-from-prayers-of-life-by-michel-quoist-p90-91/

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 5:18 PM

Jon,

Thanks so much for creating this! Would there be a  way to create a Reading Plan that would mimic this one. That way it could be synced to my iPad, since this would be the place I would read it. Have any other Logos users started this? It would be cool.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:26 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I know that you like to research just about everything.  Before I moved to my present location I was Pastor (Lutheran) near Newmarket, Ontario

Advent greetings to you Brother Milford.

Much of my pre-teen & early teen etc was spent in that same Aurora, Stouffville, Uxbridge area.

And more often than not, a real "white" snow Christmas "wonderland."

Blessings

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1599

And here is a 3rd edition of this Lectionary.  It is based on the "Protestant" version, but I replaced as many resources links with reference links as possible.  This means that it should work with ANY Logos edition of these texts.

Unfortunately I do not know the reference syntax for Clement or Hippolytus...

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:47 PM

Philana Crouch:
Would there be a  way to create a Reading Plan that would mimic this one.

I did try, I think the reason it doesn't work out is due to the variation in chapter length between all the different works. I suspect that the Logos Reading Plan algorithm calculates the total number of sections or chapters and then divides it up accordingly. I presume you could approximate it better by creating a reading plan for smaller chunks, ie for each author or work.

Kenneth McGuire:
And here is a 3rd edition of this Lectionary. 

Thanks Ken, that's very helpful; I had wondered if that were possible as some of the readings started in the middle of a page — how do you work out what the reference syntax is for an author or work?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:48 PM

SteveF:

Advent greetings to you Brother Milford.

Much of my pre-teen & early teen etc was spent in that same Aurora, Stouffville, Uxbridge area.

And more often than not, a real "white" snow Christmas "wonderland."

Blessings

Steve F

Peace to you, Steve!           So glad to hear from you!               Blessings this Advent to you and all your loved ones.  Our congregation still has the old-fashioned midweek Advent Vesper Services; and my Pastor has asked me to do the 3 homilies.  I am pleased and excited to get "back in the saddle again," briefly!        *smile*

The country that you grew up in, Steve, is so beautiful!  It was so good to live there for about 20 years.  That part of Canada is just gorgeous.  Again, God Bless your Celebration of the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here's a little picture near where you grew up.  The picture was taken at a Farmstead just a little Southeast of Stouffville, Ontario.  The hills, valleys, and ravines of the Oakridges Morraine are a short distance from here.             *smile*                                   Always Joy in the Lord, eh???

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS