L5 Full Function Tablet

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:19 PM

Hey All,

Since American Airlines decided to demolish my Asus Transformer during my last business trip, I'm now on the market for a new tablet (for purchase in the next couple of months).

My unrealistic expectations:

- Full L5 functionality (Everything I can do on my Windows 7 Laptop)

- Battery life >/= 8 hours

- Size and Weight of a tablet (not a desktop with a handle)

- Price <$500

Once you've stopped laughing, could you point me in the direction of the tablet that comes closest to meeting my expectations?

Thanks,

Derek

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:46 PM

Derek Browning:
could you point me in the direction of the tablet that comes closest to meeting my expectations?

There is nothing close.

1. You must be running the full version of windows to run L5.
  2. The Surface Pro w/ keyboard will run you $1000+ for 64 GB; $1100 for 128GB
  3. Microsoft has said that the Pro will get "about half" of the battery life of the RT. Translation: 4 - 5 hours.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 1:49 PM

I am not sure about the pricing, but the best you can do is the Intel Atom based tablets running Windows 8 from Acer, Asus and possibly Samsung. They all come in at the $600 range and might go on sale for Christmas.

It still probably would be slower than your laptop.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:24 PM

Surface with Windows 8 Pro is the one I’m waiting for.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 2:25 PM

Here's an absolutely off the wall suggestion I have thought about from time to time...

Get a really powerful desktop - Mac or Win - run Logos 5 on that and then remote desktop onto that machine to run Logos from that machine

Not as crazy as it sounds - as long as you are somewhere where there is reasonable Internet connection you could connect back to your 'server' to run Logos. Then your choices for a tablet could be much wider, even an iPad, would not need to be running Windows.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:09 PM

Thanks Patrick--for stealing my suggestion Geeked

Though if you intend on using this solution away from free wi-fi, it likely wont meet the under $500 restriction due to monthly mobile internet costs.

Posts 383
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:19 PM

I'm using an Lenovo Twist which I've come to really like. Its more laptop than tablet, but as a laptop its a very solid ultrabook. Pivot the screen around and its a very usable tablet. Doesn't get the battery life you're looking for (I get about 5 hours under "normal" use), but that's all I got out of the MBP it replaced. I think Staples was selling it for $799 on Black Friday, you might see that as "the" pricepoint after Christmas. I love it....your mileage may vary.

Posts 14
. Richard Borden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 7:13 PM

I recently purchased a Windows 8 RT tablet. Logos is not available for the RT tablets, only an to read the books in your Logos library. I would recommend a Windows 8 Pro tablet, and stay away from the RT tablets until Logos comes out with a workable RT app.

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 7:24 PM

Richard Borden:
stay away from the RT tablets until Logos comes out with a workable RT app.

…but even when they do, it won't be L4/L5! 

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:05 PM

Sorry your Tablet was destroyed.  Maybe you will reply and tell us all how it occurred so we do not face that problem one day.

As for my Nexus (I call her Nexy) every since the recent Android update, she is very buggy.

Yup, she bugs me....and thats no joke.Crying

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 9:34 PM

Derek Browning:

My unrealistic expectations:

- Full L5 functionality (Everything I can do on my Windows 7 Laptop)

- Battery life >/= 8 hours

- Size and Weight of a tablet (not a desktop with a handle)

- Price <$500

Once you've stopped laughing, could you point me in the direction of the tablet that comes closest to meeting my expectations?

Dell Outlet has twitter coupon codes.  Previous coupon codes have included Dell Latitude ST Tablet => www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/tablet-pcs-mobile-devices.aspx

When running Logos on a Dell Latitude ST Tablet, the 1.5 GHz Atom CPU has the speed characteristic of a netbook and battery life does not last 8 hours.  The tablet weighs 2 pounds; the stylus uses a AAA battery for decent point and click.  Without coupon code, noticed a Dell Outlet Latitude ST for $ 399 that has 2 GB Ram, 128 GB SSD, and Windows 7 Professional so could run Libronix 3.0g, Logos 4, or Logos 5.  Caveat: for Logos 4 or Logos 5, recommend using a quick method 1 to copy Library and Indexes.  The 1.5 GHz Atom is slow for indexing.

A refurbished MacBook Air with 4 GB Ram and 128 GB SSD is more than $ 500 => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:04 AM

Joshua Lieder:

Maybe you will reply and tell us all how it occurred so we do not face that problem one day.

\

Hey Joshua,

I typically carry my tablet on the plane with me in my laptop bag, but on this trip I was trying to reduce the weight of my laptop bag and stored it in the front pocket of my roller-board carryon...and forgot about it being in there when I had to gate-check it due to being on a small plane.  When I retrieved my bag at my destination gate I was saddened to find that a souvenir I had purchased along with my tablet didn't make the final leg of my trip.

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:09 AM

Scott E. Mahle:

Surface with Windows 8 Pro is the one I’m waiting for.

It does look like that is the closest, now I need to find out how I can get a 50% discount. :-)

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 8:20 AM

Derek Browning:
It does look like that is the closest, now I need to find out how I can get a 50% discount

…but it also gets only half the battery life.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:11 AM

alabama24:

Derek Browning:
It does look like that is the closest, now I need to find out how I can get a 50% discount

…but it also gets only half the battery life.

And I would be waiting to see reviews of performance of the Surface Pro because the CPU will likely be 'dialled down' to make it suitable for running on a tablet. Intel is not known to be on the leading edge of processors for mobile platforms. So there will be a valid query as to how well it will run a 'heavy' application like Logos 5.

And if you run Logos 5 on it expect the battery life to be even less.

Not saying don't buy it, but don't just rush in — particularly as it is not priced as an 'impulse buy'!

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:14 AM

A MacBook Air meets all your expectations except for price.

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:20 AM

Patrick S.:

Not saying don't buy it, but don't just rush in — particularly as it is not priced as an 'impulse buy'!

I'm certainly not an early adopter, and I'm hoping by the time I get the money saved up, there will be an option for 2x the battery life.

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:22 AM

Dan:

A MacBook Air meets all your expectations except for price.

I'd rather have a laptop, but there's something more socially acceptable about using a tablet in church or bible-study.

Posts 177
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 1:51 PM

Has anyone seen or used the "Samsung ATIV SmartPC"  I looked at the description, and it didn't say it ran the "RT" version of windows 8, but again I'm not sure the difference between RT, Windows 8, and Windows 8 Pro.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 2:27 PM

Derek Browning:

Has anyone seen or used the "Samsung ATIV SmartPC"  I looked at the description, and it didn't say it ran the "RT" version of windows 8, but again I'm not sure the difference between RT, Windows 8, and Windows 8 Pro.

Any thoughts?

Samsung has a couple tablets. The ATIV SmartPC runs the Windows RT OS. It will only run down the scaled down version of the Logos app. Current versions of the app are very minimal, but it will soon be comparable to the iOS and Android versions of the app.

The ATIV SmartPC PRO runs the full Windows 8 OS, that is it is the only one capable of running the full version of Logos. It has decent specs for running Logos: 4GB RAM, which is the min I would consider (preferably 6 or 8 for smoother operation running multiple apps). It has 128 GB drive. You will need to be careful when considering drive space. From some of the reviews I've read of various other devices, you only end up with a fraction of that space by the time you subtract the recovery partion(s) and space taken by Windows & other included software. This device also has 1080p display, which is definitely what you want for a reader.

I don't remember any reviews popping up on that one yet, but the best spots I know of to check for reviews: Ars Technica, Engadet, AnandTech, CNet, PCWorld.

(I still want the Dell XPS 12, but Logos Christmas specials may have broke me from that.)

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS