Passage List - Different Translations

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 92
Mark Wooten | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:42 AM

When I teach I like to have a list of my verses in the order I'm going to use them, and each verse in the particular translation I want to use for that specific verse. I know you can specify multiple translations, but that wouldn't work as a handout. Is there a way to create a list of my verses, with each verse in a potentially different translation? I'm guessing the Passage List feature can't do that, so it may be a more manual solution. Thanks!

Mark

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:42 AM

I am assuming you mean that if you are going to teach verse A, B, & C; that you may like the way the NASB renders verse A, you like the ESV for verse B, etc. If that is the case a clippings file may be a solution.

Posts 2838
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 5:34 AM

A possible work a round:

Create a collection of the Bibles that you want to limit your review to –> ‘BiblesUsed’.

Open a layout with those Bibles open and use ‘BiblesUsed’ collection as the source to ‘text comparison’.

Create a word processor document listing the verses for this week – one per line with two empty lines between.

Feed the verses in to Logos. 

Copy and paste all of the found verses into the word processor pasting after the verses reference.

When all have been pasted in start reviewing.

Remove the ones not wanted.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 6:42 AM

The nice thing about a clippings document is that simply by copying the verse or passage from your bible resource (whichever version you choose) it adds all of the reference information automatically.

You can also add any notes you may want to include for your students.

Here is an example that is based on what I think you're trying to do

Posts 92
Mark Wooten | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions!

After digging around some, I was looking at the Text Comparison tool. I know it doesn't do everything I was asking, but a tool like that is something I use to choose which version I want to use for each verse.

However, the limitation here is it will only do one verse or passage at a time. Just FYI. Thanks again!

Mark

Posts 2838
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:34 AM

It will list all of the Bibles you want it to list – if you use a “collection”

Search this forum or review the “wiki”  - link at top of page when reading forum 

Add all of the Bibles that you review into that “collection”

Then link the “Text Comparison tool” to that "collection"

[Just below where you enter the verse is where you select by left click - Top Bibles is available - the top five you have set using prioritization - see the wiki for this also] 

Then give the verse wanted to the “Text Comparison tool” 

Left Click on the top part of the list

Select all [ctrl-a on a PC] Copy [ctrl-c on a PC] and paste to your document – cut all the not wanted ones from the document.

I use two Bibles for my wife's lesson each week and 7 for my 'normal' study set [and every English Bible in logos once]

Posts 92
Mark Wooten | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:38 AM

Thanks, David. Unfortunately, it's still limited to one verse or passage at a time. In the past, I've found Accordance to be very useful for this specific feature - you can list as many verses as you like, separated by a semicolon, and display them in several different translations.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS