Works of Jacob Arminius

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:50 PM

I was about to purchase the collection on sale for Logos but decided to check on any print versions available and found you can get his complete works in kindle format for under $3 and enhanced versions of Vol's 1 - 3 for $1.99 each. Now having a hard time justifying $80 for the logos version since it's considered "Public Domain".

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 5:16 AM

Dennis Miller:
Now having a hard time justifying $80 for the logos version since it's considered "Public Domain".

The Logos price of PD resources has been discussed over and over again on these forums.  There is really little to be gained by going over that ground again. For any resource available in Logos, if I do not see it a being worth the asking price, I do not purchase it.

Do not purchase what you believe to be not worth the asking price.

NOTE: This is not meant to be critical of you in any way.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 5:21 AM

The other suggestion is to try the $3 Kindle version. If it suits your needs, brilliant, you have saved yourself $77. 

I have bought public domain works in Kindle format at low cost and have invariably been disappointed with the quality and functionality. Having purchased similar works through Logos, for me, the value is self-evident.

It is absolutely fine if you disagree and can only be a good thing that market place offers a range of options between $3 and $80.

Blessings in your decision Big Smile.

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:48 AM

Jack & Andy, thanks for the replies:

I wasn't wanting to fall back on my critical ways either and I know the Logos versions are said to be tagged and searchable but I like Jack's advice that if it doesn't seem like a great deal then don't buy it. That's simple enough!! Big Smile

Posts 2839
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:20 AM

It really depends upon what you need to do with them.  How much will you use Arminius?  Will you want to do frequent searches of Arminius' works?  For example, would you desire to quickly find every reference he made to a passage like Romans 9, or would you like to find everything he said about "grace"?  Would you like it to interact with your Logos library so that you could compare Arminius and Calvin on a particular text / subject?  If so, then the Logos version is probably what you want.

If you just want to read Arminius, like a book, then I would recommend the Kindle version and save yourself the $77.  That is an option that I have chosen for a number of books. 

But since I am Wesleyan / Arminian, and Arminius really matters to me, I choose to pay more for the Logos version. 

Of course, you could get a public domain version of Arminius and make your own Logos personal book.  However, realize that it will still not have all the tagging and functionality of a true Logos book.  It takes lots of time consuming work to put all the tagging into a resource that Logos does.  That is what you are paying $77 for.  Still, a personal book would be searchable in Logos.

It all depends upon you individual needs and preferences.  However you choose to get Arminius, he is certainly worth having - in my opinion.  (NO theological significance intended by that last statement.  Wink )

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 232
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:14 AM

Ditto, and same with the Nook. Low-priced e-books are too-often poor quality.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS