Methods for Compiling, Collecting, and Storing material for sermons or lessons?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 8 2012 12:52 PM

Logos 4 (and now Logos 5) are awesome as store houses for the tons of resources available - but that brings me to my question . . .

What methods do you all use to COMPILE and COLLECT and STORE your research in Logos 4, or 5?

What works for you?

I'm just trying to figure out a way that will work best for me, and any ideas that you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  Smile

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 1:16 PM

If it's just references that I'm looking for I use clippings with an appropriate title. For example, this week I have been preparing a sermon for this, the 2nd Sunday in Advent, so I title the Clipping Advent 2. The clippings are stored on my computer and are copied, when synched to Logos servers, also I normally export them to Word. So, in the event of a catastrophe I do not lose my research. They are recoverable from either the Logos server on startup or from an external Time Machine backup.

If my research includes searches or notes I use Evernote. I always make sure to save using a filename which identifies both the date and subject: e.g. 121208 Mark02 would indicate that on 9th December 2012 I made notes in this file on Mark chapter 2.

Works for me.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 5706
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 1:30 PM

Stein Dahl:

What methods do you all use to COMPILE and COLLECT and STORE your research in Logos 4, or 5?

What works for you?

Clippings and Notes work for me.  Alternative options to Logos notes that provide cloud storage include evernote and onenote.  Both work equally well and have there strengths and weaknesses.  I'm using preview version of Office 2013 and you can use Onenote 2013 and store the file on skydrive rather than locally. For notes I want to back up outside of Logos I would export the note file to clipboard and paste into a onenote file.

Posts 1899
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 2:48 PM

I have never gotten in the habit of really using Logos notes or clippings. I prefer to store my research in the word processing document that I use to type the study or sermon in. I have my own naming conventions to keep the documents organized.

First I paste the Bible text into my document, as separate verses (bolded) and with the full reference:

Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Luke 1:42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

The reason I include the full reference is so that I can later search for Biblical references and find what I've written on that reference (using a Mac search software called FoxTrot Personal Search, but this would apply to Evernote and Onenote also).

When I search in FoxTrot for "Luke 1:42," it will list all my documents with that reference. I click on a document, and it can show me all the places in that document where the reference occurs. So when I am working on a passage, I take a moment to leave Logos and search my former work also.

Then, as I research in Logos, I copy and paste what I find underneath the appropriate reference. I find that I might work through the passage in one commentary at a time, going back to the top of the document when I start a new commentary (or other resource).

Eventually I get to the point where I am so full of information that I just start writing (often in Full Screen mode to eliminate distractions).

What happens to the research? Some of the research is paraphrased and the actual quote is discarded. Other research is left in as a quote. Some is deleted as irrelevant to the sermon. Once in awhile, I find a bit of research that is really good, but also irrelevant for the present sermon, so I leave that in, but mark it to be skipped during preaching.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, because it's not in Logos, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

EDIT: I have toyed with the idea of importing the sermon documents into Logos as Personal Books, which would simplify the search process -- just haven't gotten around to it (plus, I use Pages instead of Word).

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:48 AM

I guess I should have phrased my question a little bit better. 

I wasn't only looking for ways to Compile, Collect, and Store material WITHIN Logos - although that would be my preference so that you could use the awesome search capability of Logos at a later date - but rather . . .

What methods do you use - (whether inside or outside of Logos) - to compile, collect, and store the research that you do within Logos?

I'm not so concerned with storing it within Logos as I am just wondering what methods you all use to store your research for future reference.

Thank you to those of you who have answered.  They are good answers all.  And I'm going to try them all.

Still just trying to figure out a system for doing this myself - and so I'm just looking for good ideas.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:52 AM

I tag my finished works (where necessary) and compile pbbs... This way my work comes up along side the work of authors published within Logos.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 449
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:36 AM

I use Scrivener to store bits of info. and research to compile. I do use Notes in Logos, but am always a bit wary of doing so especially after someone loses their notes by some freakish event. I like OneNote and have used it in the past for Notes from Logos, but am evidently not disciplined enough to stick with it. The discovery of Scrivener has helped a great deal.

Now, you asked for methods. Scrivener has a built-in corkboard metaphor where you can place index cards of synopses for incorporation into your sermon. You can move them around to get the order right. BUT, sometimes I get too much info and have to pare down.

I have begun using an iOS app called Corkulous which is a corkboard on steroids. It seems a bit easier to move things and get an idea of how I want to present the sermon. I can arrange the thoughts freely and then I finish up in Scrivener. Then, I export to Word, then place in InDesign and export an epub to transfer to my iPad to open in iBooks that I can use in the pulpit.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS