My Logos 5 program is very slow

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21
Glen R. Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:03 PM

When I click  on any part of  Logos 5 on my MacBook, my arrow turn into a revolving circle of many colors and it takes from one to three minutes for it to stop. This does not happen on any other program I have. I am using less than half of my memory. Any suggestions?

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:20 PM

It would be helpful for you to post logs. I'm on my iPad and will have to grab the wiki link for you in a minute. Can you describe what you are doing when this happens? Have you tried a blank layout? What OS are you running?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:22 PM

Here is that link: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#Mac

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:43 PM

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#Mac

EDIT: For some reason Alabama's link did not show up as a hyperlink

Posts 21
Glen R. Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:03 PM

I am using OSX 10.8.2

This happens when I open any part of Logos 5. When I open any guide or go from one guide to another - the arrow turns to a spinning circle.

I have not tried a blank layout (does that mean just a blank page).

Right now I have 5 windows: on the left is giude information; next is two windows on top of each other: The Scripture I;m using over a window for whatever I click on from the guide; then next - I have two windows one on top of the other - on top is dictionary, and on the bottom is different versions of the Bible.

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:15 PM

Glen R. Francis:
I have not tried a blank layout (does that mean just a blank page).

Yes… but to OPEN to a blank layout: press and hold the command key immediately upon startup of the app. Check the appropriate box.

It doesn't sound like the layout is the issue, but you never know and opening to a blank layout is the simplest thing to try. If that doesn't work, please follow the link above to learn about logging. That is the only way for the techies to really know what is going on.

Posts 21
Glen R. Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:47 PM

I have just tried a blank layout - it seems as if it has helped some - there is some improvement :) Now I'll try to do logging ?

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:10 PM

Opening to a blank layout is an attempt to isolate the problem, especially if the issue is resource or layout oriented. In other words, if you open to a blank layout and everything is OK, slowly start opening things to see if you can determine the issue. Since you think that the issue has been helped only "some," I would submit logs. 

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:12 PM

I forgot to add… when you submit the logs… you will want to make sure that you

1. enable logging
  2. recreate the problem
  3. grab the logs
  4. submit them in the forum by using the paperclip icon in the formatting pallet.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:27 PM

If you are using a few "link sets", this can cause issues.

If you have the reverse interliniear open, this can cause issues as well.

If you have everything as default in the passage guides, this can cause issues . ( some of those are connected to "outside resources which are being searched through internet connection).

Hope this helps.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:43 PM

Glen R. Francis:
Right now I have 5 windows: on the left is giude information; next is two windows on top of each other: The Scripture I;m using over a window for whatever I click on from the guide; then next - I have two windows one on top of the other - on top is dictionary, and on the bottom is different versions of the Bible.

One option is posting a screen shot of layout in use.  From description, guessing that a number of tabs are linked together so changing verse location in one tab causes all the others to update, even though the updated results may not be visible on screen.

For guide information, curious how many sections are open ?  If guide(s) are linked, then changing verse location causes all open sections to update with results that are not on screen until want to scroll in the guide.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos with many Tips and links.

Personally have learned having less open is more responsive along with knowing how to quickly open more resources, guides, tools, etc as desired; try to avoid updating lots of stuff that is not on screen.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:03 PM

this is my number 1 complaint about logos: slow

Posts 10850
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 5:22 AM

Josh Hunt:

this is my number 1 complaint about logos: slow

Josh, slow is a relative term. Can you be a little more specific? For me, L5 is normally rather snappy.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 5:27 AM

There are some processes that are slower than others; but I will say L5 is much faster and more responsive that L4 was.

Posts 21
Glen R. Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 8:54 AM

alabama24,

I want to thank you and other who are trying to assist me. My skills on the computer and my understanding is low. It's not only low but at 70 years old I'm also slow :) For some reason, I couldn't get back on the forum last night. Right now I need to spend my time writing a sermon for this Sunday.

Thank you 

Glen Francis

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:32 PM

I realize this is a rather "old" thread, but in doing a search for Logos5 being slow this is what I found and I think it is not MAC related.

It takes forever, that's exaggerated I know, but it takes a long time when I simply click on Layouts for Layout to open. Or, if I click on Search, or any other resource I may want to use. I would expect other than a complex search resource windows would open almost immediately.

Any ideas what might be my problem. Here is my computer system:

Dell Inspiron Laptop, running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Intel i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40 GHz

4.00 GB RAM Memory

64 Bit

500GB HD with 250GB+ Free

Posts 29929
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 3:42 PM

James H. Schafer:
I would expect other than a complex search resource windows would open almost immediately.

Layouts can take a while to open… but I think your problem may be ram related. I would recommend upgrading to at least 8GB.

Posts 2517
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 4:04 PM

Alabama might be right if it were a Mac. But Ram is likely not your main bottleneck in my opinion. Even though you are running a 64-bit Operating system. Logos is only a 32 -bit program. The Dell Inspiron line is not known for great graphics cards so a lack of discrete graphics card or a slow Hard Drive (5400 RPM) are more likely your bottlenecks in this situation.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:21 PM

I likewise have a slow, slow desAmos computer. My notebook runs circles around it.

The desktop is a Dell Inspiron i3-530 processor, 2.93 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 640 GB 7,200 RPM HD, NVIDIA GeForce G310 dual monitor card.  Win 7.  I'm running L-5 with 7,049 resources.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:56 AM

I agree with both Alabama and David on all that they said. Plus 5 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB does make some difference.

I'm using Windows 7 on two laptops with different specs. I just cleaned the newer laptop (Logos still runs faster on the older laptop because it has SSD) with Malwarebytes.com and noticed quite an increase in speed. On the older laptop I don't have any antivirus (it would slow down as it has a latter-half-of-2009 Core 2 Duo CPU), on the newer I have Microsoft Security Essentials and it has found a virus or trojan only once during the time I have used it (a few weeks). This newer computer was infected with malware because it had been used for games and scareware/utilities by the previous owner. This newer computer has only 1.6 GB RAM available so I'm unable to update to L5, but it's expandable to 7.6 GB available:

alabama24:
I would recommend upgrading to at least 8GB.
David Thomas:
But Ram is likely not your main bottleneck in my opinion.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS