how do I filter out other people's highlights?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:13 AM

how do I filter out other people's highlights?  There must be a simple way, but I can't find it!

Posts 11707
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:17 AM

it's the "Popular Highlights" Visual filter in your resource - just turn it off if these annoy you. Right clicking on this VF will give you the option to turn it off in all resources.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:36 AM

Thanks for quick reply.  Done it!  I didn't find help helpful until you explained what I was looking for

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:52 AM

This feature is confusing a lot of people, and it affects everybody. And the Visual Filters menu is singularly difficult to discover on your own when you're exploring the software as a relatively newbie user, especially since "Popular Highlights" doesn't show up in that menu for any books unless there are actually highlights in that book. So if you're just getting to know the software and exploring all the things you can click on, you wouldn't necessarily discover the "Popular Highlights" feature. I personally think it's something that people are going to want either on or off globally in all resources, and thus I would favor it being moved to Program Settings instead of the VF menu.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 3:58 AM

me too!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:20 AM

Rosie Perera:
I personally think it's something that people are going to want either on or off globally in all resources

Not so sure about that. I can imagine e g a Catholic wanting them on in Catholic resources (which are almost certain to have a Catholic 'bend' to the highlightings), but off in e g dictionaries and commentaries (where the overwhelmingly Evangelical userbase is bound to have the last word). 

I can also imagine someone turning them on to quickly skim through an article and find the best places to apply his own highlighting, and then turning them off again.

Coming to think of it, turning them on in an anti-Catholic book might be a fast way to find the most common misconceptions about Catholicism.Stick out tongue

In fact, now that you got me thinking, turning them on and then off again in a particular resource is the only way I can see them as useful to myself. I'd planned to have them all off, but the more I think, the more ideas I get about times it might actually be useful to take just a quick peek. I mean, if 50 people have highlighted the same sentence in an old academic article that I found so self-evident as to be completely uninteresting, maybe it's not that uninteresting after all? Maybe they knew, and I didn't, that this was the very first time that thought was expressed? Or that it became the center of a huge academic debate?

Instead of moving this to Program Settings, I wish they moved 'red letters' to the Visual Filters. I'd hate having that on all the time, but I'd like the ability to turn it on in just one Bible at a particular time.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:39 AM

Yep. I thought I wanted them ALL off!  Yuck. Then I wanted to see them for specific 'nutty' books ('nutty' books take forever to get to the point). Unfortunately I couldn't find how to reverse course, so I gave up.

I couldn't tell from the beta notes what they've fixed and how.  Will be patient.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:15 AM

DMB:
Unfortunately I couldn't find how to reverse course, so I gave up.

You can globally disable popular highlights as described above. You can then enable them for an individual resource in the Visual Filter menu—If the resource has any pop highlights. Mine are globally disabled, but are still available individually.

Posts 3052
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:59 AM

DMB:
Unfortunately I couldn't find how to reverse course,

Turn them off for everything.

Then, turn them on individually for any book you wish to see them.

The global setting is 'On'.  I wish they'd change that to 'Off', then let us turn them on where we want them.  That makes a lot more sense to me. But being able to control them in individual resources is more important to me than a System Settings toggle.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 11:27 AM

Jack and Doc ... appreciate your help!

Like in earlier threads, I don't see any resources that do any of the highlighting (I turned them off). Now checking maybe 20 or so books that others might highlight there's nothing in the olympic menus.  I do see the cheerleader megaphones ok.

But I'm in no hurry if the current beta fixes this issue.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5693
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 14 2012 11:39 AM

I think Logos has done a good job with the way this display.  I don't find them intrusive and they can be interesting to see what others have picked up in their reading.  I would not a global on or off as that is way too general.  I really can't see wanting to turn this off globally, but may only want to do so as a short term measure in a given resource.  So control via. VF is great.

Posts 5693
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 12:49 PM

Andrew Mckenzie:

I think Logos has done a good job with the way this display.  I don't find them intrusive and they can be interesting to see what others have picked up in their reading.  I would not a global on or off as that is way too general.  I really can't see wanting to turn this off globally, but may only want to do so as a short term measure in a given resource.  So control via. VF is great.

Just to clarify I meant a global on/off as the only means.  Happy for it to co-exist with current settings.

Posts 2
Mike Chu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:58 AM

I cannot find "Popular Highlights" in Logos 5. Can any one show me?

Posts 11707
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:23 AM

Mike Chu:

I cannot find "Popular Highlights" in Logos 5. Can any one show me?

Welcome Mike!

You may wish to have a look into today's blog post: http://blog.logos.com/2012/12/logos-5-popular-highlights/ 

In case of further questions (e.g. you don't own the resource or don't find the Visual Filter) just come back, we'll try to help you!

Mick

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 7:24 AM

NB.Mick:

You may wish to have a look into today's blog post: http://blog.logos.com/2012/12/logos-5-popular-highlights/ 

Thank you so much for posting this. I was looking all over for a universal disable of the social networking aspect of popular highlights, and that link gave me that ability.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:01 AM

Has anyone noticed that after setting some of the filters to "off" that they seem to reset back to "on" after re-launching the application?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:16 AM

Anthony H:

Has anyone noticed that after setting some of the filters to "off" that they seem to reset back to "on" after re-launching the application?

I don't see that behavior.

Just a guess: do you have Logos running on another device, and if so, have you checked the settings there? (There can be unexpected behavior when running more than one instance of Logos at a time, even if a laptop is 'sleeping' or 'hibernating.')

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 1:05 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Anthony H:

I don't see that behavior.

Just a guess: do you have Logos running on another device, and if so, have you checked the settings there? (There can be unexpected behavior when running more than one instance of Logos at a time, even if a laptop is 'sleeping' or 'hibernating.')

Other than an iPad, no.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 1:28 PM

Anthony H:

Richard DeRuiter:

Other than an iPad, no.

What are the settings for filters on your iPad (don't have one, so I have no idea what the options are there), and do you close Logos on the iPad, or leave it in memory when you shut it down?

Like I said, this is just a guess, based on other people's settings issue with more than one device.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 2:25 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
do you close Logos on the iPad, or leave it in memory when you shut it down?

I leave Logos in memory continually on my iPad and have never noticed that affecting my desktop installation. But I am a newbie at iPad use, so perhaps someone with more experience can speak up.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS