L5 Impressions after nearly 100 hours of use

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 1:14 PM

According to my study log, I have used L5 Mac about 100 hours since upgrading.  I'll write a proper blog over Christmas, but here's a few impressions.

1. It is faster. Much faster - The guides populate faster and in general the program is snappier on my 2009 Macbook Pro.  I assume on newer hardware with an SSD that it just screams along.

2. It is more refined and polished than L4 - Logos 4 suffered from feeling like it was never finished. It was not uncommon to find buttons and user interface issues that were not quite right. Sure it got the job done, but it was like driving an old pickup to town rather than a nice new shiny car.  The choice of fonts and the tidiness of UI make it easier on the eyes and a pleasure to use.

3. The enhancements of L5 are great - I love the ability to filter the library window based on collections. The Bibliography tool has already saved me a lot of work. I like when you click a hyperlink to a resource that you don't own that it gives you a preview, plus a link to check it out on the Logos website. The addition of root searches, Biblical Facts and the Timeline are brilliant. I haven't had a lot of time to use the Bible Sense Lexicon, but in general L5 has a very nice collection of cool tools. At this stage I don't have much use for the community stuff, but I can see how that could appeal to some.

4. It still crashes - I have crashed L5 11 times. Over the same time period, this is more than all the other apps on my computer combined and then probably by a factor of 4. I believe I have found part of the problem. I used to leave Logos 5 running and would put my macbook to sleep and then resume my studies later. I would also use sleep for days without rebooting. Now I close Logos 5 every time before I put my macbook to sleep and at the end of the day I shut my computer down completely. Since doing this, I have had maybe one crash in 2 1/2 weeks. This is a huge improvement in stability.

5. It seems sensitive to internet issues - Failed synchronising seems to bog it down. If the internet is really, really slow, the program gives me a spinning beach ball while it is waiting for popular highlights to be downloaded. Running L5 in offline mode or shutting off popular highlights seems to make a difference in speed and stability.  I am guessing that there are not lousy internet connections in the Logos development labs that allow for testing in these kinds of conditions.  So again, by changing my usage patterns to limit exposure to the internet when it is problematic, I have dramatically reduced the number of crashes and L5 is faster.

My wish list:

a. The prioritisation window drives me nuts. I'm sure it works for many others, but I use it extensively and wished for a better format.

b. Going back to the early days of L4, I wished there was a way to select a workspace of my design for the daily reading plan and also for when I enter in a reference and click 'go'. 

c. I'd love to see maps move beyond the static graphics that we see. This dates back to L3, so I know this is a big wish that for obvious reasons has taken a back seat to other things.

d. A very small wish would be to bring back 'fuzzy search'. Yes sure you can live without it, but this was an incredibly handy search function of L3.

In conclusion:

While I am not completely nuts about treating Logos 5 with kid gloves in terms of my usage patterns, it is manageable if it reduces crashes. In general, I am extremely pleased with Logos 5 and if this is what we have to live with for the next few years until L6 comes out, we are off to a great start.  Unless development adds some stuff that breaks a bunch of stuff, I am hopeful that the program will continue to mature and I'm pleased to see the Mac version of Logos start to come into its own.

Good job Logos and Merry Christmas!

Posts 26809
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 1:31 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I believe I have found part of the problem. I used to leave Logos 5 running and would put my macbook to sleep and then resume my studies later. I would also use sleep for days without rebooting. Now I close Logos 5 every time before I put my macbook to sleep and at the end of the day I shut my computer down completely. Since doing this, I have had maybe one crash in 2 1/2 weeks. This is a huge improvement in stability.

It's a (sad) reflection of the problem that you have to close Logos to reset its internal state that would otherwise eventually cause a crash.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 3:56 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
4. It still crashes - I have crashed L5 11 times. Over the same time period, this is more than all the other apps on my computer combined and then probably by a factor of 4. I believe I have found part of the problem. I used to leave Logos 5 running and would put my macbook to sleep and then resume my studies later. I would also use sleep for days without rebooting. Now I close Logos 5 every time before I put my macbook to sleep and at the end of the day I shut my computer down completely. Since doing this, I have had maybe one crash in 2 1/2 weeks. This is a huge improvement in stability.

I'm running the Windows version and generally leave L5 open 24-7.  In the time I have had it it has crashed 1 time. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 6:20 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
a. The prioritisation window drives me nuts. I'm sure it works for many others, but I use it extensively and wished for a better format.

+1 Yes wish could resize prioritization in Logos on Windows and OS X so could see longer titles.

Donovan R. Palmer:
b. Going back to the early days of L4, I wished there was a way to select a workspace of my design for the daily reading plan and also for when I enter in a reference and click 'go'.

+1 Yes for alternative GO layout option.

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/639625-provide-option-to-have-logos-open-to-a-disignated- has 105 votes and status update on 14 Dec 2012:

Logos 5.0b will add an “At Startup Open To” option that allows you to select a named layout.

Donovan R. Palmer:
c. I'd love to see maps move beyond the static graphics that we see.

+1 Yes for three dimensional maps with options to choose what to show on map: e.g. political boundaries at different times.

Logos User Voice => http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/717262-reimagine-maps-have-non-static-maps has 68 votes while => http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/1427279-add-the-ability-to-create-mind-maps-in-logos-4 has 41 votes

Donovan R. Palmer:
d. A very small wish would be to bring back 'fuzzy search'.

Logos User Voice => http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/510241-bring-back-topic-search-and-fuzzy-search has 507 votes; am anticipating fuzzy search return.

Logos 5 has Topic sections in Guides and Sermon Starter Guide.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1136
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 6:34 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

My wish list:

I agree. The user interface of the prioritization is really poorly implemented. Rather than one long list, I would like to have tabs, one for each category of resources.

Armin

Posts 1359
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 8:56 PM

Armin:

Donovan R. Palmer:

My wish list:

I agree. The user interface of the prioritization is really poorly implemented. Rather than one long list, I would like to have tabs, one for each category of resources.

Armin

Yes

Posts 1136
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:21 PM

If you are in favor of a better prioritization panel, please vote here:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/2280424-categories-in-the-prioritization-panel

Armin

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 16 2012 10:32 PM

I haven't voted on uservoice for a while, so I'll pop over and use up my votes again.

I forgot to mention as part of my wish list improved notes. I know this is being worked on and I use Devonthink anyhow for my research, so I deem this as a bit of a non-point at the moment. I was listing wish list items which I am unaware anything is planned for.

All in all, I think L5 is off to a great start.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:25 AM

Armin:
Rather than one long list, I would like to have tabs, one for each category of resources.

Good suggestion

Armin:
If you are in favor of a better prioritization panel, please vote here:

Done

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:32 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

I would have to say, that sounds like a negative in stability. In the last few years I have only restarted my Mac a handful of times other than for dead battery or operating system upgrades. In this day and age no program, or computer, should require "restarts." Your computer, and Logos 5, should be able to run 24/7. If not, something is wrong. In my case I leave Logos 5 running all the time and have only a few crashes. Granted, it's not as stable as a native Mac program, but it's far more stable when what your'e experiencing. Having to shut it down every time I put my machine to sleep would drive me nuts, especially since Logos almost always locks up when I shut it down and I have to force quit it.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:23 AM

I'm thrilled with L5.  Much faster.  I like the timeline, tho there's so much on it I give up before the end.

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:49 AM

I have been using it about the same length of time now and I have to agree that I like the upgrade.

Donovan R. Palmer:
1. It is faster. Much faster
- in reality on my 2012 Macbook Air it screams! The speed increase is substantial for sure.

Donovan R. Palmer:
It still crashes
- I have crashed it, but have found it much more stable than L4. Most of the crashes I have had are very repeatable.

All in all - I think L5 is a great improvement.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS