Can I use Clause Search to Find Locations?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:34 AM

For a research project, I am wanting to find every place in the prophets that a specific geographical location was mentioned (i.e. Israel, Jerusalem, Egypt, Cush, Assyria, etc). Is there a way to do this with clause search?

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:19 AM

Samuel Clough:

For a research project, I am wanting to find every place in the prophets that a specific geographical location was mentioned (i.e. Israel, Jerusalem, Egypt, Cush, Assyria, etc). Is there a way to do this with clause search?

Yes this should work

See screenshot below for an example

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:34 AM

I'm not even remotely in Graham's world of knowledgability, but I always find location listings with a customized passage guide.  The clause'y thing is really busy pulling allusions.

Completely off-topic but since I'm so often wrong (Logos IS so intuitive), I pulled up a passage guide in a floating window, then clicked on its logo to tailor it. Was I not surprised when the customizing panel pops back into window #2 instead of simply opening next to the passage guide in window #6.

Ah, life is good. Snow on the plateau above us. Smile on my face. I love Logos so much!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 113
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:38 AM

Thank you. I'm looking to do a more generic search that identifies every time the prophets mention a geographic location. In other words, not just search for "place:Jerusalem" but "place:any". Is that possible? "Any Place" doesn't do what I want. It just finds the word "place."

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:14 AM

Samuel Clough:
I'm looking to do a more generic search that identifies every time the prophets mention a geographic location. In other words, not just search for "place:Jerusalem" but "place:any". Is that possible?

Sorry, I didn't understand.

That can't be done - as far as I can see - using the clause search as a wildcard place isn't supported.

You can do it using a Syntax Search and using the Anderson-Forbes tagging capability. The example below just used Jonah as an example

It is dependent on the extent of the tagging but it looks like it might be your best way forward - unless anyone else can come up with a better planSmile

If you aren't familiar with setting up syntax searches have a look at the article at http://wiki.logos.com/Setting_up_a_Syntax_Search

Hope this helps

Graham 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS