Personal Book Builder Now has Tags

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 19 2012 8:53 AM

I was recently told PBB has been upgraded and now has tags to allow it to be used for purposes such as sermons, tagging where they've been used, etc.  Finally, the long promised Sermon File Addin is back.

Unfortunately, on both my iMac and MacBook Air, the dropdown box to select "Sermon" type doesn't scroll - it shows Monograph by default but the drop down only goes down alphabetically to Journal.  The lanuguage dropdown is similar: English is the default but the dropdown lists Afrikaans to Dutch - and that's it.  Can't even select English if I accidentally pick one on the list.

Very disappointing...

4.6a SR-5 (4.61.0.3387)

Posts 12643
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:18 AM

Stephen Coles:

I was recently told PBB has been upgraded and now has tags to allow it to be used for purposes such as sermons, tagging where they've been used, etc.  Finally, the long promised Sermon File Addin is back.

Unfortunately, on both my iMac and MacBook Air, the dropdown box to select "Sermon" type doesn't scroll - it shows Monograph by default but the drop down only goes down alphabetically to Journal.

I can't comment on the missing scrollbar on Mac dropboxes (I know they were an issue once, but believed this to be corrected), but the SFA-features for PB don't work via the filetype, but via the table you put into the source document - thus you may happily have it as a monograph or any other - e.g. bible commentary, if you put in additional tags to have it scroll with a bible text you are "preaching through" - just as you like. 

You may wish to have a look here: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4.6a_RC_1

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for the response.  I saw that thread previously but thought they couldn't have made it that clunky - but, yes, it looks like it.  So now, as I go back to convert all my doc files to docx, I have to add a table, and go back each time I use that sermon in another church.

I think I'll pass and stick with a much simpler way, and one that won't break in the next Logos update.

In fact, I'm working to limit my use of Logos to initial sermon research only.  I've already dropped it from much use on my iPad as I've found another Bible program that gives me a good range of Bibles, commentaries, etc, note taking and back-up with a lot less hassle.

Posts 12643
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 11:50 AM

Stephen Coles:
Thanks for the response.  I saw that thread previously but thought they couldn't have made it that clunky - but, yes, it looks like it.  So now, as I go back to convert all my doc files to docx, I have to add a table, and go back each time I use that sermon in another church.

I must admit I'm no preacher, and never had access to the old SFA so I'm lacking comparison, but to me it seems the design with the matrix in the word file(s) and the opportunity to choose from all available resource types gives much greater flexibility. My impression was that updating the tags (= index information) to keep track of where and when a sermon was used seemed to be the explicit goal of those who asked for this feature, but obviously your mileage may vary.   

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 6012
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 11:59 AM

Sorry that it seems more clunky to you.  Personally I think it is much better with the greater flexibility.  Yes the old version you did not have to add the table but it still existed it was part of a form as it was a separate tool.  I agree these fields would be better if they could be part of the PB tool rather than having to add to word.  I am not a Mac person & have not experienced the issues you mentioned in windows version with the menu so won't make a mess of attempting to help on that particular issue.  Hopefully a Mac user can help with that.  

Is it just the issue of having to add the table to the word document and updating that table that makes it clunky for you.  In old version you still had to edit and recompile when you add a new venue, difference of course was that your file could be edited from the interface, though it was still a separate file - an XML file that only was usable with L3.  To me now being a word document , it's use is not restricted to the logos environment.  If there are other aspects that make it clunky can you describe.  

Also can you maybe describe what it is that you don't like about the mobile app.  Respect you have made a choice for something else.  Just would be interested to know what you dislike.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS