setting default note indicators

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:20 PM

I have several notefiles for reading the Bible. One is for general "verse-by-verse" commentary notes. Another is for translation purposes, where I mark difficulties, inconsistencies or language issues. I would like to set one note STYLE (example: yellow square with an asterisk) for the first notefile and a different default style for the other notefile (example: red triangle ). To paraphrase it: can we have a DIFFERENT default note icon style for each notefile?

Another workaround would be allowing a user EASILY (ie rightclick highlighting>go to note OR having a note icon for the highlight, which one can click) go to the note, created by highlighting.

Posts 2591
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 9:58 PM

toughski:

I would like to set one note STYLE (example: yellow square with an asterisk) for the first notefile and a different default style for the other notefile (example: red triangle ). To paraphrase it: can we have a DIFFERENT default note icon style for each notefile?

Another workaround would be allowing a user EASILY (ie rightclick highlighting>go to note OR having a note icon for the highlight, which one can click) go to the note, created by highlighting.

If I understand for what you are asking, I think I already do all that.  Í'm not sure I can remember how I set it  up, but I can one-click and get a note highlighting style for a particular note file.

Here's a screen shot of one of my Bible reading layouts (not the whole thing but enough to make sense of this solution).

I have my Bible in the middle, some note files open to the right (not shown here), and my Notes palette on the far left. You can also see a couple of Notes files between the Bible and the palette.  In the example below, I have some purple highlighting with a TYP label, some green highlighting with a PR label, and some blue highlighting with a HY label.  The purple is for a note file I call 'Typology'. It is for prophecies, reference, and similar ideas of the Christ. The other two are related to music...I like to mark any passage of scripture for which I know there to be a song.  Green is for praise songs and blue is for hymns, etc. You can see a few other types of note files in the palette.

I got each of these in the proper format and into the correct note file by drag-selecting the passage, and clicking on the note palette on the particular note type I wanted.  (I previously customized these styles.)  It's quick, easy, and fast.  And I get note files on each of these topics that are formatted consistently in the Bible text.

Is this what you are looking for?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 11:08 PM

Doc B:
Is this what you are looking for?

Let's say you need to add/modify a note with the highlight "he knows my name." How do you get from Scripture to that particular note? Can it be done with 1-2 clicks or will it require manually opening the notefile OR searching for that note amongst 100s of other entries (even if they are already sorted in some way)? What if the notefile is closed?

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2012 11:25 PM

in this example, I have a different note in 3 different notefiles. All icons are the same. which one is which? I would need to manually hover over each one to determine that. Multiply it by hundreds of verses  and thousand of look-ups.

What is crazy is that all of the functionality is there already. All one has to do is specify a default style for note icons ONCE per notefile and the rest is automatic. Right now Logos 5 thinks that a default note icon style applies to all of the notefiles, What is the point of having different notefiles then?

LOGOS team is so close, yet so far from actually wooing its users.

Posts 1021
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:42 PM

Yes, absolutely agree with this!

I started using notes and highlights more, and I realized that I want "Use this style by default" to apply to the Note file instead of being a global notes setting. It's a paradigm you would expect as a user.

I went and placed some votes over at logos.uservoice.com for the Rework Notes Function item. It has a bullet point: "allow default note icon color to be set at the file level." Hopefully that helps. It's a little disconcerting that it's the most popular item by vote, by far, yet many other lower priority items are being addressed.

Posts 24
Ken | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 2 2017 3:12 PM

I agree and hope this becomes a feature soon. I have to manually change the icon when working in different note files.

Ken

Posts 23447
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 12 2017 8:48 PM

Ken:

I agree and hope this becomes a feature soon. I have to manually change the icon when working in different note files.

This is an old thread and since then the Rework Notes suggestion has been completed with links to individual suggestions. People should remove their votes (1624) and apply them to https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/990225--allow-default-color-to-be-set-for-a-note-file-fr for file level defaults.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS