upgrade from xp to win 8 and logos 4 to logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
NK | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:59 AM

Perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe adventurous.  I'm in the process of updating my prehistoric laptop to Win 8.  Everything checks out there system requirement-wise.  In the process I'd like to play with the new data sets for L5.  My system checks out on that front as well according to the requirements posted at: http://www.logos.com/product/28376/logos-5-minimal-crossgrade

Almost.  The exception is my video card which is only a DirectX 9.0.  My question is this: Will I be able to spin Logos 5? I expect it to be as laggy as L4, perhaps because of my graphic card limitations. 

Thoughts welcome.  Possible?  Not?  Worthwhile?

Posts 26521
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 3:52 AM

NK:
Almost.  The exception is my video card which is only a DirectX 9.0.  My question is this: Will I be able to spin Logos 5? I expect it to be as laggy as L4, perhaps because of my graphic card limitations. 

Lag is usually related to speed rather than capability i.e. DirectX9 may not be a limitation but the speed of the video card & CPU may well be, together with the amount & speed of their associated memory.

But have you checked compatibility by running the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant because this will decide the fate of your ancient laptop fairly quickly as my "ancient" desktop running Windows XP was ruled out because the CPU lacked two crucial elements needed for Windows 8.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 132
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 4:55 AM

I have ran the assistant and it all checks out.  It's still a core2duo laptop t7200, so I think it's doable.  And I'm curious about both the win 8 interface and also the L5.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 5:02 AM

I have found both Win 8 and L5 to run snappier on my computer.  It's a bit more computer than you're describing.  However, I would expect you to have similar results.  Win 8 should run fine and L5 is generally a little quicker than L4.  Good luck.

Posts 132
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 5:07 AM

thanks.  I'll post back on my progress.

Posts 132
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 11:02 PM

It's ALIVE!  The frankenlaptop lives.  And as you mentioned Doug, a noticeable performance gain.  The biggest challenge of it all was to find and install my vista-era video drivers, which still work on the win 7 platform and, thankfully, on win 8.  The switch from the generic driver to the specific x1400 video card meant better screen resolution and jump from 2.0 to 3.8 in the Windows Experience Index. 

Thanks for the pointers --- and a Merry Christmas to all!

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 5:24 AM

Glad it worked out well for you.  That's what I expected.  Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS