How do I get my commentaries to auto follow default Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Chris Sayburn | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:43 AM

Hi all, 

Apologies if this is a painfully obvious question that has been covered lots! 

I'm wanting the commentary/ies I have open to follow my primary Bible instead of me having to keep updating them manually in the type field. I've seen the link A B C D etc.. options on each book but they don't seem to do anything? 

Thanks so much for all of you who help noobs like me! 

Blessings 
Chris.  

Posts 12513
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:48 AM

Chris Sayburn:
I've seen the link A B C D etc.. options on each book but they don't seem to do anything? 

You need to set the commentary to the same character than the bible you want it to follow, then this works - its a basic feature of Logos.

Otherwise, maybe post a screenshot for us to see what you see.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9
Chris Sayburn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:51 AM

Hi NB.Mick

Thanks for your speedy reply. I tried that before and it didn't work, tried again now and it's all good! 
That's going to be a timesaver! 

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:52 AM

NB.Mick:

You need to set the commentary to the same character than the bible you want it to follow, then this works - its a basic feature of Logos.

How does one make the links persist, though?  The links work well after you set them, but, the next time you open Logos, they're gone.  (???)

Thanks.

Fred

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 9:51 AM

They're part of the 'layout'. You have to save your layout.

Plus when you move your commentary, your Bible's going to get whip-sawed up and down the mountain-side.   So, wear a seat-belt.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 12:39 PM

DMB:

They're part of the 'layout'. You have to save your layout.

Ah, thanks - I'll try doing that, DMB.

DMB:

Plus when you move your commentary, your Bible's going to get whip-sawed up and down the mountain-side.   So, wear a seat-belt.

Smile

Fred

Posts 947
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:00 PM

An alternative method is to use Explorer (In Tools).

It is so simple, fast. Explorer follows your open Bible.

P A

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:45 PM

Fred:

NB.Mick:

How does one make the links persist, though?  The links work well after you set them, but, the next time you open Logos, they're gone.  (???)

Thanks.

Peace, Fred!              What you are experiencing should definitely NOT happen!

To experiment ...   just now  ....     I opened my ESV to Matthew 1.1 - Hit the "A" linkage tool.

Then, I opened Lenski - Interpretation - Matthew(!) - Hit the "A" linkage tool!                 Lenski went immediately to Matthew 1.1

... then I changed ESV to Phil 4.4      ---    Lenski followed!             *smile*

Then!               I shut down Logos 5.    Then!        re-started!        *smile*                   Then!    did it twice more -    shut down -- restarted...

It's still linked          (as has been my experience in the past!)               If that is happening to you, you may have a problem!   (No Smile!)

Edit:      Please note!    You do not have to have these in a Layout for the link to persist!          The link should always persist until you erase it!         *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 6:07 AM

P A:

An alternative method is to use Explorer (In Tools).

It is so simple, fast. Explorer follows your open Bible.

P A

Yes, I like the little Explorer tool.  I even have an icon for it on my toolbar (by dragging it from the Tools menu), for "one-click exploring" - {g}.

Fred

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 6:12 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace, Fred!              What you are experiencing should definitely NOT happen!

[...]

Edit:      Please note!    You do not have to have these in a Layout for the link to persist!          The link should always persist until you erase it!         *smile*

Hmmm...  I may end up having to call Logos tech support then...

Thanks for that info, Milford - without it I didn't realize something was actually wrong (just that it was annoying).  Smile

Fred

Posts 25880
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 6:58 AM

Fred,

just checking - what version of Logos are you using?

Graham

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 7:58 AM

Graham Criddle:

just checking - what version of Logos are you using?

Hi, Graham.

I'm using both L4 (on my Win XP desktop) and L5 (on my Win 7 laptop).  However, the behavior (or maybe lack of behavior) is exactly the same in both.

If I link, say a Bible and a commentary (by selecting the same letter for each), they track just fine.  But, if I close those two panes and start them again, the links are gone (i.e., the letters are grayed out and the commentary does not follow the Bible).

Of course, if I open a Bible and then a commentary, the commentary will open to the same verse that the Bible is opened to, but only at the start - it will not keep tracking the Bible.

(I did just try all of these things on both PC's once again a few minutes ago.)

I did try opening the previous ~layout~ (automatically saved), and doing that ~does~ show the links persisting.  However, I have never seen the links otherwise persist (in the manner that Milford had described) in either L4 or  L5.

Fred

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 1:49 PM

Fred:

NB.Mick:

Thanks.

Hi Fred!      *smile*

Back to square one!                When I posted earlier, I mentioned I could close Logos and re-open it and close it and re-open it and the links would remain!   The program, that is!!!  When I close the individual panel, well, yes, I do lose my linkage!             But, only when I close the panel and tell Logos Software that I'm starting fresh all over again.  By closing the panel, I'm "refreshing" the system.    Sorry if I didn't explain it better in my earlier post!  *smile*    Peace to you, Fred! 

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS