Incomplete results from a Clause search in Genesis

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 20
Jim Coakley | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:27 PM

I was attempting to do a clause search in Genesis for "Object: rock, stone, stoning" and I received six results from the query. In looking at the hits I noticed that Genesis 28:11 was missing from the list.  So I looked at that verse in the ESV and right clicked on "stones" and  I saw that this particular occurence is tagged as  "Object: rock, stone, stoning." 

Is this the same for others or is there a reason why it does not show up in the results list for the entire book of Genesis or am I not constructing the query properly?

Posts 33277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:48 PM

Are you sure you mean Genesis 28:7?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Jim Coakley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:05 PM

sorry it is verse 11

Posts 19279
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:18 PM

I noticed several verses in Genesis that mention stone, tagged "Thing: rock, stone, stoning" that don't come up in the clause search you tried.

For example, these ones in Gen 29 are tagged for rock, stone, stoning.

However, notice that they are tagged "Thing: rock, stone, stoning" not "Object" -- so what your search is actually doing is only returning those verses where "rock" is used as the object of a verb or preposition, hence it won't find the occurrence in Gen 29:2 "The stone on the well’s mouth was large" because it is the subject of the sentence.

But if you change your search to use Thing: instead of Object: you'll find more verses:

There are still some occurrences of rock or stone in Genesis that are not found this way, but at least they can be explained because they are not tagged as "rock, stone, stoning" (e.g., the stone in Gen 2:12 is tagged "Thing: onyx, sardonix" and the stone in Gen 28:18 is tagged "Thing: sacred pillar, sacred stone, obelisk" and "Thing: Jacob's Stone" but not "Thing: rock, stone, stoning"; this is curious because "stones" in Gen 28:11 which is the same stone in the story is tagged "Thing: rock, stone, stoning" in addition to those other two tags. The tagging seems to be a bit unpredictable. The word "one" in Gen 28:11 (as in "one of the stones") is tagged only "Thing: rock, stone, stoning" but not "Jacob's Stone" or "Thing: sacred pillar, sacred stone, obelisk".

Posts 33277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:54 PM

Jim Coakley:
I was attempting to do a clause search in Genesis for "Object: rock, stone, stoning"

This form requests "rock, stone, stoning" only where it is the object of the verb. In the missing occurrence it is the object of a preposition. If this was not what you intended, you may have intended "thing: rock, stone, stoning".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Jim Coakley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 2:37 AM

Thanks!   that explains it - a quick lesson in semantics!  "Object" (as in part of syntax structure) NOT "object" (as in something substantive in the real world) 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS