New Personalized Sale...More Christmas Cheer from Logos

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5798
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 21 2012 4:40 PM

http://blog.logos.com/2012/12/this-might-be-our-most-exciting-sale-ever

The blog headline might be an overstatement since this not a new concept but I'm sure it will be exciting all the same if you have felt left out by Logos already generous Christmas offers in 2012...that' if you have any money left in your 2012 book budget.

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 5:18 PM

I picked up Volume 5 of Encyclopedia of Christianity that I was missing for $65.

http://www.logos.com/product/6039/the-encyclopedia-of-christianity-vol-5

It was winding me up to only have the first four volumes but I did not buy volume 5 on pre-pub as I was hoping it would be added to a base collection, as it turned out the set was dropped from base collections with Logos 5 so I was left to suffer in my self imposed OCD until this fine day.  

Posts 2337
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 5:37 PM
Not exactly a Christmas Cheer message, but I had one phone experience with sales last year and it was not particularly good. So I always pass up the phone opportunity ads. Probably my loss. Maybe I will try again someday. It doesn't help that I upgraded and spent a LOT of money already recently. So when I mention spending more, my wife gets that genuinely sweet "honey, you know best" smile," which always stops me cold. On a more cheery note: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Posts 5798
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 5:38 PM

Mike Pettit:
I was left to suffer in my self imposed OCD until this fine day.  

Mike Pettit:
I picked up Volume 5 of Encyclopedia of Christianity that I was missing

Big Smile  It is nice to be able to complete set like that.  Good pickup Mike.

Posts 5798
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 6:12 PM

Gao Lu:
So I always pass up the phone opportunity ads.
Being overseas I always pass them up personally.  They did give the option to do it by email as well and I tried that but by the same someone responded to me it was so late, like a month later I had long given up on them and just bought something online that I wanted while the Christmas Credit offer was still going, if I waited for that return e-mail I would have missed the Christmas credit.   Maybe not so cheering for you and I but it is for others and that's what counts - someone is getting blessed - it doesn't always have to be us - even if it is nice when it happens.

Posts 9609
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 8:00 PM

Andrew Mckenzie:

Gao Lu:
So I always pass up the phone opportunity ads.
Being overseas I always pass them up personally.  They did give the option to do it by email as well and I tried that but by the same someone responded to me it was so late, like a month later I had long given up on them and just bought something online that I wanted while the Christmas Credit offer was still going, if I waited for that return e-mail I would have missed the Christmas credit.   Maybe not so cheering for you and I but it is for others and that's what counts - someone is getting blessed - it doesn't always have to be us - even if it is nice when it happens.

I don't like phone opportunity ads either. I'd rather just have their best price listed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 176
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 5:56 AM

I've tried this a couple of times (by email rather than phone because I'm in the UK). I was told there was no better deal on the prices than what the checkout was already showing. So not sure they actually will beat the best price listed. Maybe just a chance for a salesman to use his/her persuasive powers direct with a customer.

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:48 AM

I have to see I availed of the phone opportunity, and got good deals on the Pillar and BECNT series. So it is worth a try.

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:51 AM

Don't hold your breath on the BECNT. The publishers won't budge.

Posts 8198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:13 AM

Thanks CL you just saved me some waiting time on the phone.  I do have one question for everybody, though.  Why is a complete set of NIVAC NT on sale for "250" when you can barely get half of the BECNT for over 250? Does that mean BECNT is WAY better than NIVAC NT? In my opinion, I think the set may be a little over priced, but again, that's just my opinion.  I'd love to have that set again, but at the price it's being offered, it's kind of hard to do.

Anyway, have a blessed day!

DAL

Posts 11933
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:23 AM

DAL:
Why is a complete set of NIVAC NT on sale for "250" when you can barely get half of the BECNT for over 250? Does that mean BECNT is WAY better than NIVAC NT?

NIVAC is an Application commentary, BECNT is a much more technical commentary 

I have NIVAC on 1 Cor in Logos: some 350 pages. According to Amazon.com, BECNT on 1 Cor would be around 900 pages.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 24889
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:40 AM

NB.Mick:
1 Cor would be around 900 pages.

In Logos it is shown as having 870 pages

Posts 8198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:42 AM

But which one is better, as far as interpreting the text they both have similar information concerning the meaning of the text?

DAL

Ps. Which one would you go for?

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 1:02 PM

Better - depends on what you are looking for as they are difficult to compare as they are not trying to do the same job.
Is a pickup truck better than a sports car ?

BECNT tends to go one or two verses at a time, explain in detail the context and setting, spend a couple of pages discussing the various ways in which some of the original Greek words and phrases might be interpreted and who has prefered each option in previous commentaries,  refer to elsewhere in the Old and New Testaments and Apocryphal writings that similar wording has been used or what previous OT teaching might be alluded to in the present NT text (as an example, the use of a Dove in Luke 3:22 leads to a discussion of everywhere else in the Bible a dove has been mentioned), then give a summary of what the author really thinks (in case you got lost in the preceeding ten pages of technical discussion) and then round off with a page or so of Additional Notes on what other commentators have said (in case you missed it earlier).  So expect maybe a dozen pages on each couple of verses before the author goes on to the next verses....

NIVAC takes major units of text, twenty of so verses at a time, (whatever the author thinks is appropriate) then retells the story to attempt to point out the original meaning of text based on what the audience would have understood (because of their own culture and background), contrasting one Gospel account with a similar passage in another etc, mentioning referenced or alluded OT passages. The NIVAC will not get you involved in discussions of the greek words and possible different ways of translating them into English ( it assumes you are working from the NIV text as that is the basis for the commentary).

Then the NIVAC will do a bridging text explaining how the passage relates to what was happening in the local culture at the time.
Then it will have a section on "Contemporary Significance" (the Application section) which is naturally going to be tailored to the significance the author thinks tha passage has to his own particular cultural setting (may not be particularly relevant if you are in a different one.)

So you will find a lot fewer pages in an NIVAC commentary than a corresponding BECNT commentary: BECNT focuses on the original greek and the message the text is trying to get across to the reader: NIVAC takes the NIV translation as the meaning and focusses on how the listeners might apply the message to their own situation (and pretty much by definition "extrapolates" on what the text is saying according to the theology and cultural experience of the author).

Both types of commentary are useful: application commentaries tend to be useful only if you are reasonably well aligned to the author's own theology.  As with most commentary "sets", the volumes are generally by different authors so their "quality" can be expected to be varied.

Posts 2
carver sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 6:16 PM

I so agree, every time I have called or emailed just like today.  There was really no movement on price, just a chance for a good salesman to make contact with a sales lead!   :)

Posts 887
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:21 PM

Mike Pettit:

I picked up Volume 5 of Encyclopedia of Christianity that I was missing for $65.

http://www.logos.com/product/6039/the-encyclopedia-of-christianity-vol-5

It was winding me up to only have the first four volumes but I did not buy volume 5 on pre-pub as I was hoping it would be added to a base collection, as it turned out the set was dropped from base collections with Logos 5 so I was left to suffer in my self imposed OCD until this fine day.  

That's great! I really like that resource. I picked up volume 5 for $77.35 incl. tax early this year, maybe with some of my Christmas credits.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 2272
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:47 PM

For what it's worth, I got a the 26 volume Journal of Biblical Literature for $165.00, which I thought was a great deal.

I also got the IVP New Testament Collection for $219.00, which was ok, but it has a lot of books that I wanted, so it was well worth it.

I asked about some WBC new volumes and it seems that they were all around $37.50.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2272
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:49 PM

Also, I use the chat feature most often as opposed to phone or email.  I have never had to wait and have always had good success.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1135
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 9:39 AM

Joseph Turner:

Also, I use the chat feature most often as opposed to phone or email.  I have never had to wait and have always had good success.

I have been on the Chat Feature now for over half an hour. Every reply takes 5-10 mins. Sad  

Armin

Posts 1135
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:01 AM

I gave up after 55 mins on the chat feature without a final price on the first resource. I extrapolated and it would have taken me 2 hours to finish my list. Let's hope they honor the same deals by e-mail.

Armin

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS