Single Vol Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 251
Pastor James | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 24 2012 10:54 AM

I'm looking for recommendations for a commentary, for an adult, who functions at the 12-year-old level, for general Bible study, whether it is available in LOGOS, or not. 

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 11:31 AM

I like the Wycliffe Bible Commentary.  It should be close to this reading level - though at the high end.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 8007
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:43 PM

Believer's Bible Commentary is another one volume option!

DAL

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:47 PM

Tyndale's one vol commentary is pretty good too.  

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 7:45 PM

The Bible Knowledge Commentary is good.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:16 PM

These are all good suggestions. However, If you intend to reach an adult with learning disabilities, It may be best to start with the basics. I recently gave a set of the "Bible Story Books" by (Edit: Arthur Maxwell) Author Maxwell Embarrassed to a young man (30ish) Who suffers from traumatic brain injury. He loves them. He cried when I gave them to him ...said they were just what he had been wishing for. I refer to the Blue Bible Books you see in doctors offices. Of course they are children's picture books, but I am amazed at how many adults pass the time in the waiting room, consumed by these books. It is a set of 10 that can be had used on eBay, regularly for $50. I highly recommend them. If you don't think this person would like them. Please keep them in mind for younger seekers you may encounter. 

God Bless

Posts 5205
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:22 PM

Schezic:

These are all good suggestions. However, If you intend to reach an adult with learning disabilities, It may be best to start with the basics. I recently gave a set of the "Bible Story Books" by Author Maxwell to a young man (30ish) Who suffers from traumatic brain injury. He loves them. He cried when I gave them to him ...said they were just what he had been wishing for. I refer to the Blue Bible Books you see in doctors offices. Of course they are children's picture books, but I am amazed at how many adults pass the time in the waiting room, consumed by these books. It is a set of 10 that can be had used on eBay, regularly for $50. I highly recommend them. If you don't think this person would like them. Please keep them in mind for younger seekers you may encounter. 

God Bless

As a special education teacher, I agree with this suggestion. However, if you are sure something more mature is in order, take a look at The Teacher's Commentary.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:37 PM

Schezic:
As a special education teacher, I agree with this suggestion.
David Paul:
These are all good suggestions. However, If you intend to reach an adult with learning disabilities, It may be best to start with the basics. I recently gave a set of the "Bible Story Books" by Author Maxwell to a young man (30ish) Who suffers from traumatic brain injury.

I would concur.  If I were to want a single volume commentary for some purpose (such as taking on a trip), I think Peak's Bible Commentary is one of the best, but we aren't speaking of what we personally would like.  Let the punishment fit the crime book fit the recipient.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5205
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 24 2012 8:45 PM

George Somsel:

Schezic:
As a special education teacher, I agree with this suggestion.
David Paul:
These are all good suggestions. However, If you intend to reach an adult with learning disabilities, It may be best to start with the basics. I recently gave a set of the "Bible Story Books" by Author Maxwell to a young man (30ish) Who suffers from traumatic brain injury.

I would concur.  If I were to want a single volume commentary for some purpose (such as taking on a trip), I think Peak's Bible Commentary is one of the best, but we aren't speaking of what we personally would like.  Let the punishment fit the crime book fit the recipient.

George, somehow you managed to switch Schezic's comment with mine. Stick out tongue

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 3:45 PM

I think Schezic probably has the best suggestion given the circumstances.  However, I believe the New Bible Commentary is the best one volume commentary by far.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS