I am thinking of selling most of my (physical) library in favour of electronic resouces: Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:07 PM

I have invested  a lot in my Logo library over the past few years to the point where I almost never use actual books anymore (for sermon prep). I still own and buy hardback books but I am beginning to wonder if the time has come to make the switch to only buy e-books. I enjoy reading a lot but I have resisted going fully electronic because I like to feel the book I am reading. Then I had kids and space (and money) became an issue. 

I am wondering why I keep books in my library that a) I never use or read and b) I have in Logos (mostly commentaries).  I wonder how much vanity is involved in having a "visible" library. I have Platinum and many many other resources so my library is well kitted out. 

I can see some positives and some negatives to this but i am wondering if anyone out there has completely (or mostly) made the switch to electronic book reading. I have an ipad so I can read books via the Logos and Kindle App. Has anyone made the switch only to regret it and turn back?

Just interested in people's thoughts! Smile

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:23 PM

Made the switch to both digital books and magazines on my iPad and have never, ever regretted it.

There is a potential negative that has been discussed here and in the broader world of digital books: Who really owns the books?

The discussion came up here recently when the question was asked about what would happen if Logos went out of business. Would we still have access to all of our books?

And I believe there have been a few cases where Amazon books have been pulled and readers losing access to them.

Valid questions, but I've decided not to waste energy worrying about it. I'll deal with it when I'm actually affected by it which may be never.

The "feel" of a book has been completely overruled by: more free space, adjusting fonts sizes for these aging eyes, generally cheaper than print, delivery in seconds rather than a trip to a bookstore in another city, easier to highlight notes and then paste them in Evernote for easier access, etc.

And I hear you on the "visible" library which I used to take pride in... until I got tired of dusting the shelves and (gasp) packing the buggers up for a move.

My iPad is my library shelf now and it goes with me wherever I am.

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:25 PM

I've made a gradual transition to e-books over the past three years and have no regrets about it. I'm about to move to Japan to live there indefinitely, so I'm very glad that I can take all my books with me on my laptop and iPad (it would cost a fortune to ship them and Japanese apartments are not what you'd call spacious). I donated my commentaries to a local Bible college and less technical books to my Pastor. Both were very grateful to receive them. Alternatively, If you're able to sell your books, you can invest the proceeds in Logos. I suggest getting rid of some of your paper books and then seeing if you miss them.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:28 PM

mwk67:

Made the switch to both digital books and magazines on my iPad and have never, ever regretted it.

There is a potential negative that has been discussed here and in the broader world of digital books: Who really owns it the books?

The discussion came up here recently when the question was asked about what would happen if Logos went out of business. Would we still have access to all of our books?

And I believe there have been a few cases where Amazon books have been pulled and readers losing access to them.

Valid questions, but I've decided not to waste energy worrying about it. I'll deal with it when I'm actually affected by it which may be never.

The "feel" of a book has been completely overruled by: more free space, adjusting fonts sizes for these aging eyes, generally cheaper than print, delivery in seconds rather than a trip to a bookstore in another city, easier to highlight notes and then paste them in Evernote for easier access, etc.

And I hear you on the "visible" library which I used to take pride in... until I got tired of dusting the shelves and (gasp) packing the buggers up for a move.

My iPad is my library shelf now and it goes with me wherever I am.

Interestingly our physical library could just as easily be destroyed by fire or, as happened to a friend of mine, mold! My guess is Amazon are somewhat different to Logos (more ruthless). E-books are so much cheaper for us in Australia. Even if they were to whack an import tax of 10% it is way cheaper than anything I can buy locally. 

I like you point about not wasting energy! :) 

Posts 9815
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:33 PM

I came to the same conclusion as you as I almost exclusively use my Logos library these days. I'm currently in the process of giving most of my paper library away to others who would benefit from them but do not have the resources to purchase them.

I believe that I am accountable to use all that I own to build up the kingdom of God and I'm hoping that this is one way that I can do that. I have found it difficult to part with them but this is a good test for me to make sure that I don't hold on to things too tightly. Can anyone relate to this struggle?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:40 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I came to the same conclusion as you as I almost exclusively use my Logos library these days. I'm currently in the process of giving most of my paper library away to others who would benefit from them but do not have the resources to purchase them.

I believe that I am accountable to use all that I own to build up the kingdom of God and I'm hoping that this is one way that I can do that. I have found it difficult to part with them but this is a good test for me to make sure that I don't hold on to things too tightly. Can anyone relate to this struggle?

I can relate. Interestingly it was the passage, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth" that prompted me to reflect on whether I needed both. I asked myself how much vanity was involved with me keeping books on the shelf where people in the church could see them. There are some books I own in Logos that I would never get rid of for sentimental reasons (Barth's Dogmatics for one). I would keep these and pass them on. How I still like reading ministry related books in paperback but commentaries and academic works are much better suited to e-books. Especially logos. I also like reading a leather bound Bible. Call me old fashioned! ;) 

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:49 PM

I have been debating this issue as well.  Would love to get some value back for my physical books, but am unsure how to sell them. I live in Canada, so Amazon/ebay are not quite as effective. Any suggestions would appreciated! 

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:53 PM

Mathew Voth:

I have been debating this issue as well.  Would love to get some value back for my physical books, but am unsure how to sell them. I live in Canada, so Amazon/ebay are not quite as effective. Any suggestions would appreciated! 

I am thinking of bundling books. If I have a really good book (such as a volume by a well known author) I'd bundle it with 4 other not so well known or sought after books. Essentially I'd get some value and clear my library. I'd look to do it soon and advertise it through local seminaries and denominational newsletters etc. Amazon is not an option here but I guess Ebay is and so are other second hand book sites. 

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:54 PM

I have chosen to not sell, but give my books to a young pastor.  They are just beginning to build a library - whether it be hardbacks or electronic.  My hope is that if they eventually upgrade these hardcopies, they will pass them onto another deserving soul - again at no cost.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:58 PM

Floyd Johnson:

I have chosen to not sell, but give my books to a young pastor.  They are just beginning to build a library - whether it be hardbacks or electronic.  My hope is that if they eventually upgrade these hardcopies, they will pass them onto another deserving soul - again at no cost.

That is a really great idea and one I will consider. I am planning to raise money for a worthy cause with my sales. I may even offer a donation as one can afford option. Who knows. 

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:23 AM

My thoughts on going completely digital:

1.  The power of Logos tools is simply not able to be matched by my own abilities, be it working in original languages, exhausting a cross reference or simply the time it takes to psychically locate, open, and put back physical books.

2.  I can have my entire library (almost, still some hard books to transfer)  wherever I go on my laptop/tablet.

3.  My biggest hurdle was the feel of a book, but after getting a tablet and using it for a while, the issue is nonexistent in my mind.  I can highlight, copy passages and make notes on anything.  This has allowed me to make my own "study Bible" in a way that I never could with physical book.  For instance,  I copied about 4 paragraphs from Athanasius and put it as a note on a verse in Scripture.  That note will always be there, and is exteremely useful for furture reference.  All I could do in a print Bible would be to say "see Athanasius 2.X.11"  Still my hardest problem was shelving my Bible held together with duct tape that had been trough college and seminary with me for over 8 years.  A trustworthy friend.  I chalked it up to personal pride and have never really looked back. 

We continue to move in a world that is increasingly digital and computer reliant.  While it is possible that some sort of  doomsday could erase everything, I really don't think it will happen.  If Logos does go out of buisness, I am confident that the current engine will continue to run.

One final, and most intersting note is this:  Personally, when I would recall something in my Bible it would be wher eon the page I wrote a note or saw a portion of Scripture, not the actual address, ie "Luke 4:2"  Since going all digital, I have hadd to memorize address and actual content more often which as led to quicker recall and connection to other similar content.

Conclusion:  Go digital.  Get a good tablet.  Get a fast computer.  

*Apologies for the spelling errors.  Its late.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:37 AM

Everett, thank you for the thoughts! :)

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:59 AM

I have a small print library. Most of them are not in digital format. Those that are, I usually keep in case someone wants to read something from a commentary. I will lend them that, no way am I going to allow just anyone to sit in front of my computer unattended.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:03 AM

Floyd Johnson:
I have chosen to not sell, but give my books to a young pastor.

I too have been giving away my library for a number of years now. Most to my church library, but the more treasured ones to individuals.

It's been a long an arduous process, because I am still a lover of books. 

But there has been a renewing of my mind when it comes to books. When I'm in a book store and find something I like, my first thoughts are to wonder how long it will take me, or how much it would cost to pay someone to type it up in Word. Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 8:01 AM

Hi Matthew,

Whereabouts are you located? I live in Mississauga.

You can always try Kijiji, but I doubt you will find many people searching on there for commentaries and such. The best option I have found is to give it away to someone who would make use of it (a preacher or pastor) or bundle them and sell it to someone within your church community.

Maybe you can even list it here. I dont know if the forums allow that though :D

Posts 694
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 9:07 AM

When I bought my first Logos collection, and realized through usage its value, I sold off all shelf versions of books that I had in Logos, which helped finance my Logos investment. Without hesitation, I sell any shelf book that I have in Logos. To those of you who give away books, tip of the hat to you! Geeked

Since then, several times I've purchased Logos versions of shelf versions and then sold the shelf version. Most of the time, it cost a little more to "upgrade" books to Logos.

My struggle is shelf books that I don't have in Logos. For many of these books, I'm not willing to shell out money to convert them. They haven't been used in years, but they are there "just in case." For example, I have a shelf version of a commentary, but not in Logos, but I have plenty of Logos resources for that particular book. This is the area where I need to decide--let stand on shelves or thin out.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 9:47 AM

Geo Philips:
Maybe you can even list it here. I dont know if the forums allow that though :D

Nope.  :D

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2
Bobby Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 9:58 AM

Hi, I sold most of my physical library on Amazon and eBay. I priced them right and sold them right away. I have never regretted it. The ones I didn't sell aren't available in software format or are too used and worn to sell. I reinvested the money into more bible based software. With these I get instant access, I can cut and paste, highlight, make files and copies. Also, I can take the entire library with me when I travel! What's not to like about it? I can't see any advantage to keeping books that can be down loaded to my library. I hope this helps. Wickimaster#1

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:19 AM

Mark Stevens:
nterestingly our physical library could just as easily be destroyed by fire or, as happened to a friend of mine, mold!

I lost five thousand dollars worth of books due to a leaky roof in a storage unit. Fire, mold, floods, and dust will eventually take all paper books.

The benefits I see in going digital out-weigh all the nostalgic reasons for keeping paper books. The only paper books I buy anymore are books that are not available digitally. The last Bible related books I bought in paper format are the titles in the Fortress Press Homiletics Collection. They were not available in Logos at the time. (That tells you how long ago it was.) I now have them in Logos and will be selling the paper versions. I'm not allowed to sell them in the forums Big Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:20 PM

Super Tramp:

I lost five thousand dollars worth of books due to a leaky roof in a storage unit. Fire, mold, floods, and dust will eventually take all paper books.

Ouch! I think reading is the main thing. Perhaps the book was the medium and now e-books are the medium. It is a gentle reminder that everything is temporal. Losing $5K worth of books must have hurt. Smile

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS