Bug: Tagging of James in James

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:28 AM

Run clause searches in the book of James for person:James the brother of Jesus, and person:James the Less. 16x pronouns and verbs with the author as the implied subject are tagged as James the brother of Jesus, 10x as James the Less. See also Galatians 2:9 which is mis-tagged.

While there is debate about the authorship of James and whether it is pseudepigraphal, no-one seems to be arguing for James the Less as the author...

Posts 25777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:36 AM

Jon:
Run clause searches in the book of James for person:James the brother of Jesus, and person:James the Less. 16x pronouns and verbs with the author as the implied subject are tagged as James the brother of Jesus, 10x as James the Less

Good spot - this does seem to be incorrect / inconsistent tagging

Jon:
See also Galatians 2:9 which is mis-tagged.

I don't understand this.

James is tagged as "James (brother of Jesus)" which is widely accepted and consistent with Galatians 1:19

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:00 AM

Graham Criddle:
James is tagged as "James (brother of Jesus)"

Ah... I saw the result in a search and didn't look to specify which word it was... James is correctly tagged, but then δοκοῦντες (esteemed) is tagged with James the Less

Posts 25777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 6:02 AM

Jon:

Graham Criddle:
James is tagged as "James (brother of Jesus)"

Ah... I saw the result in a search and didn't look to specify which word it was... James is correctly tagged, but then δοκοῦντες (esteemed) is tagged with James the Less

Got it - also strange that "recognized" is tagged as "Elders in the early church" and "Twelve Disciples"!

Posts 57
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:30 AM

Hi Jon and Graham,

Thanks for raising the issues regarding the labeling of the James gang. It looks like I bear the egg on my face on all counts. The original work was done with numbered James (e.g. James.1, James.2), with a legal pad and spread sheet to decode the names. Based on the marked shift in James 2 from Jesus' brother to the Less, it looks like I accepted the auto-prompt from the last James that was associated with the particular word, or grabbed the wrong James from my decoder sheet. In either case, all references to the author in the book of James should now read the same: James the brother of Jesus.

Regarding the instances in Galatians, it looks like the same kind of error. James the brother of Jesus is correctly tagged in 1:19 and 2:9, but then there is the switch you have noted. Galatians is now consistently tagged with Jesus' brother for references to James. I have also removed reference to the apostles since the Bible Facts does not have a subset of the Twelve. It is all or nothing. All references to the apostles, elders and leaders in Jerusalem are now subsumed (for better or worse) under the Elders of Early Church category.

As we continue work on the database, I expect there will be room for adding more detail. Thanks for pointing out the errors, your posts smoked out some important corrections. This poster from despair.com comes to mind. Let the march continue!!

Thanks,

Steve

Posts 25777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:32 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for responding here and addressing the issues.

Really enjoying these new tools and glad to help make them betterSmile

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS