Syntax search help

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 138
s f-k | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:32 AM

Anyone know how to construct a syntax search for genitive absolutes?

Costa Rica

ESEPA Seminary

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:08 PM

I have two solutions, the first one here is pretty simple and finds quite a few of them, but not all:

The next one here is more complex, but it finds most, if not all, that I am aware of:

Here are the results from #2:

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:13 PM

I forgot to mention, the second solution tries to replicate page 654 of Wallace's "Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics" on genitive Absolute.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:22 PM

Since genitive absolute is a very complex subject, here is an interesting thread that gives other solutions and hashes out the problem.

Posts 138
s f-k | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:08 PM

Thanks a lot, Donimick. I'll copy your second solution and check out the thread. However, I'm unsure of why the Anything is used in your construction. I actually don't know what any of the options on that side of the menu are for (Group, Unordered Group, etc.) except for Or (I think!).

Here's a screenshot of my construction, which obviously didn't work. Do you know why exactly it doesn't work? What am I doing wrong? Note: My search is actually to find "dative absolutes" (whether or not it's a legit category).

Thanks again!

Costa Rica

ESEPA Seminary

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:46 PM

Just compare the two drawings very carefully, little things matter! Note on mine the two red circles with a line through, for "is not present". Also note Word1 and 2 have the arrow leading into them dashed, which is "Matching skips levels". That should get you much closer if not everything!

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 11:02 PM

Dominik, very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure if you have Logos 5 yet, but if so, would you mind sharing that 2nd syntax search with the Logos Syntax Sharing group?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 5:55 AM

It's up there!

Posts 1526
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 7:13 AM

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS