Missing Microsoft Office Smart Tags for Logos 4.0

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 17
Jason Durocher | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:51 PM

Bible verse smarttag recognition in MS Word was one of the BEST FEATURES about Logos v3.0.

Why is the SMART TAG's feature missing in Logos v.4.0???

Most people use Microsoft Word to organize their bible studies and it was great to just type in the bible verse and bang!  It would pop in the verse right there!  This got taken away and hopefully it comes back soon.

To make matters worse... the copy and paste basic functionality in Logos v4.0 is horrible!  Try using copy and paste to capture a bible verse and it is not very intuitive.  I normally use CTRL C to copy text and this does not even work.  I tried using the right click to COPY and this does not work either... 

How do you copy and paste Bible verses into Word or any app for that matter?  Why is it so difficult?

When can we get our MS Office smarttags back?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:56 PM

Jason Durocher:
To make matters worse... the copy and paste basic functionality in Logos v4.0 is horrible!  Try using copy and paste to capture a bible verse and it is not very intuitive.  I normally use CTRL C to copy text and this does not even work.  I tried using the right click to COPY and this does not work either... 

Hummm...These methods work for me....

Jason Durocher:
How do you copy and paste Bible verses into Word or any app for that matter?  Why is it so difficult?

Have you tried the Copy Bible Verses feature? (tools>copy Bible Verse)

Posts 17
Jason Durocher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:16 PM

That's odd... in some bibles it gives you the ability to COPY in the right click menu and in others it doesn't.

These are some of the bibles it is preventing me from using the COPY feature in the right click menu: 

KJV, NASB95, ESV, NRSV

PS :  Copy Bible Verses feature (tools>copy Bible Verse) works fine... thanks for that...but not very intuitive.  :(

Posts 17
Jason Durocher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:23 PM

Here is a screen capture attached if you are interested in what my right click menu looks like in the KJV bible.  Notice COPY is missing.  It should be located above the "Open" command.

Please re-introduce the MS Office smart tags!

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:31 PM

Jason,

You're on the "strongs" tab. You need to select the "selection" tab at the top or the bible reference tab....

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:12 PM

Jason Durocher:
Here is a screen capture attached if you are interested in what my right click menu looks like in the KJV bible.  Notice COPY is missing.  It should be located above the "Open" command.
As Damian said, you highlighted the "Strong's" tab which gives you options for the Strong's numbers.  You need to click on the "Reference" Tab and then read those options.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 10:43 PM

Joe,

Looks like you need to clean up those 'Untitled Guides'. (And I thought I was messy when I had three!) ;)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:12 PM

HI Mark, I thought someone might notice that.  It is actually a bug in the current Mac Alpha 5.  I recall a similar bug in the L4win RC 1 or 2.    Good eye though :-)

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:37 PM

Please, Logos, bring back the smart-tags. This is a feature I was highly dependent upon. It was quick and easy. I would request that you make this feature a priority.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 11:51 PM

Steven L. Spencer:
Please, Logos, bring back the smart-tags. This is a feature I was highly dependent upon. It was quick and easy. I would request that you make this feature a priority.
I may be incorrect, but if memory serves Logos has commented on this before... possibly during the beta testing process.

As I recall, the problem was not a Logos decision but in how MS Word has changed the way other programs can access it.  MS appears to have changed things to resist viruses infecting their program and this limits Logos from implementing this feature.

Maybe someone can confirm or refute this, but that is my memory on this topic.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 3:47 AM

Joe Miller:
As I recall, the problem was not a Logos decision but in how MS Word has changed the way other programs can access it.  MS appears to have changed things to resist viruses infecting their program and this limits Logos from implementing this feature.

I don't recall that thread. L3 smart tags work in office 2010. I thought it would be a simple matter of changing the program it sends links to. I do recall  Bob saying they will look into smarttags, but have heard no official "yes, they'll be there) yet.

Posts 17
Jason Durocher | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:53 AM

Ah.. thanks for showing me the trick with the selection on the right side... much better.  :)

Please bring back Logos smart tags.  MS has not changed anything in regards to this.  Office 2010 beta works with the Smart tags from v3.0 just fine.  I use and depend on this feature quite a bit.

Posts 99
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:58 AM

+1 - Smart Tags are a key feature for me.  If Logos is not planning on supporting them - or replacing them with something even easier (that doesn't require lots of clicks/switching back forth), I will have to evaluate other options.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:00 AM

ChristopherPowell:
Smart Tags are a key feature for me. 

Yes +1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:11 AM

Boy I wish I could remember where I read stuff on this.  I thought during the Beta testing there was a discussion on this topic.  Maybe the problem was with the .NET and MS Word.  

I am fairly certain thought that Logos did plan on bringing this back in at some point.  

I never used Tags, so I did not pay enough attention.  Sorry.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:04 AM

The word from Logos was that to create a Smart Tag they had to wait until they were ready to open up the API. (Don't ask me what that's all about, except its a big deal with a bunch of documentation needed, I gathered.) They don't expect to do that soon.

I think they also were not aware there was as much interest in this as has been shown. I hope this means it is on their to-do list and we will see it sooner than later.

Until then I still have the capability through 3.0.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 99
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:21 AM

I don't quite understand that if they can get it to work under Logos 3, (and it works by all testimonies in Office 2007 - the one I run and even in the beta of Office 2010) the problem can't be Microsoft, they have already opened up the API (Logos is not the only 3rd party software or even Bible software that uses SmartTags).  Thus, in my understanding, the choice to include SmartTags in v.4 is Logos' alone.

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:41 AM

I'll chime in as one who made use of smart tags frequently, and would have to have it functioning in 4.0, and since my main computer use is on my laptop which only has 4.0 on it, I'd love to see it sooner rather than later. I can still copy and paste, so it's not unbearable, but it was sure sweet to be working in word and just typing in the passage and having it inserted without having to go into Logos.

Posts 63
Markus Schiller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 11:46 AM

IMHO the smart tags feature is absolutely necessary! So please, Logos, give it a high priority.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 11:56 AM

I too am circumventing the problem with verse copy, but the smart tags are much more convenient. It is one of the only reasons I still have L3 around besides waiting for notes and highlight transfering.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS