Unlocking the Scriptures for You Revelation Question

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 30 2012 5:11 PM

Looking through my library, I see two different "Unlocking the Scriptures for You-Revelation" titles. They have two different authors. One is typed as a Commentary, the other as a Monograph.

What's the difference between these two books and why is there two?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 33
The Redlines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:18 PM

When you open them, do they look any different to you?

I don't see either of these titles in my library or in a search of logos.com. They might have been a part of an older package or something outside of LOGOS (Libronix add on) Maybe they were two different versions offered through two different packages? You'd really just have to open them and see for yourself.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:42 PM

The Redlines:

Table of Contents are noticeably different:

Looking at Logos 5 comparison => http://www.logos.com/comparison# noticed Unlocking the Scriptures for You (16 vols.) is in Gold and Higher

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 8:16 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

The Redlines:

Table of Contents are noticeably different:

Looking at Logos 5 comparison => http://www.logos.com/comparison# noticed Unlocking the Scriptures for You (16 vols.) is in Gold and Higher

Keep Smiling Smile

OK great, so they are two totally separate resources. Strange two were written on Revelation, but I'll take them!

Nathan Parker

Posts 5092
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 8:52 PM

Nathan Parker:

What's the difference between these two books and why is there two?

Being completely straightforward, the difference is...they are different. As to why two...there are a few other commentary sets that have more than one volume committed to a single Bible book. For whatever reason, the publisher chose to have both perspectives on Revelation be part of this set. I have these but haven't yet looked at them--I'm happy to have two views, though.

To sum up, I think the answers to your queries are rather mundane. I doubt there is anything here other than the obvious.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, 64gb 3600 RAM, 2tb m.2 EVO Pro Plus SSD (x2), 12tb Seagate Barracuda (x2)...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 1:28 PM

I'm not sure where I got this series, probably with Logos 4 or Logos 5 Portfolio!

Perhaps you've also noticed that none of the books in this series are in http://www.logos.com/

I'm also not sure who produces "Standard Bible Studies" of Cincinnati, Ohio

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:03 PM

The "Unlocking the Scriptures for You" commentaries are part of an of the current Logos 5 higher end packages (Gold and above). 

Both of these volumes are Commentaries (even though one is tagged as a Monograph - already reported in the Wiki)..

Both are of similar vintage according to publication dates: Fitch (1986), Foster (1989)

From the Tables of Contents alone you can see that each tackles the book in a different manner.

One reason that you might speculate as to why a series might have more than one commentary author for a given Book is the time it takes for an author to put together a comprehensive commentary on a given Book of the Bible: some may start a project which takes literaly decades of meticulous research to complete, others can assemble something of high quality in only a few months, primarily because then already had 90% of the research done and it is just a matter of assembling as a commentary material that is already at hand.  If a publisher has a deadline and they have commissioned a volume that does not look like it is going to come close to making it, they might go looking for another author capable of meeting the deadline (only to subsequently find that the originally commissioned author has put aside another project to try to advance this project).

While several commentary series have more than a single volume covering some books of the Bible, this is most often done twenty or more years apart in time when a different perspective is appropriate often because new information has come to light.

Logos recently published a volume of the Pillar New Testament Commentary on Paul's letter to the Romans (2012 by Colin G. Kruse), yet the series originally came with a fine commentary on the Epistle to the Romans by Leon Morris (1988).

The NICNT (The New International Commentary on the New Testament) has "duplicate" Logos commentaries on several books of the New Testament:

• Pauls Second Epistle to the Corinthians: Barnett (1997), Hughes (1962)
  • Gospel of John: Tenney (1976), Morris (1995), Michaels (2010)
  • Epistle to the Hebrews: Hughes (1977), Bruce (1990), Cockerill (2012)
  • Epistle to the Romans: Murray (1968), Moo (1996)
  • First and Second Letters to the Thessalonians: Morris (1959/1991), Fee (2009)
  • Epistle of James: Ross (1954), Adamson (1976), McKnight (2011)

Other established commentary sets similarly have multiple authors covering many of the Books.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:25 PM

David J. Wilson:
The "Unlocking the Scriptures for You" commentaries are part of an of the current Logos 5 higher end packages (Gold and above). 

Great post, David!         Very helpful!                          Thank you very much!            Peace to you!        ...    and a Truly Blessed New Year!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:06 PM

That is a great post David! Helps me understand things way better!

Nathan Parker

Posts 2728
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:42 PM

Open both versions and review the about page: the one that opens when you click the resource information [the Circle 'I' icon at the top of the window tab]

one is verse by verse - the other is an aid to preaching 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS