Tablets - ways of rolling texts in Logos5?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:48 AM

I am planning to buy some full Windows 8 tablet (eg. MS Surface Pro) in near future.

So I would like to know in what way is substituted the mouse wheel? (on desktop is rolling enabled by placing cursor over section with text inside logos and turn the wheel)

Is it possible to use finger to roll the text ? Or is the only way  to use stylus and tap on scroll bar?

Thank you for any answer

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:02 AM

Hi Pavel

If you haven't used Logos4 or Logos5 with a tablet, these are just some comments:

- You're finger's going to be too big for most Logos activities. You'll likely end of using some type of stylus.  Some of the W8 tablets come with stylus, as do some of the W7 tablets.

- Logos does offer paging a book by clicking on a forward and backward arrow (setting columns to '1'). This does make it a bit easier than trying to hit the scroll-bar correctly. But it's an all/nothing proposition: moving the text a little will be a trial.

- Some tablets come with special drivers for use with a stylus.  By holding down a button on the stylus, you can then move the text up/down as needed.  But this is specific to the manufacturer of the tablet.

- You'll run into problems with the images in Logos (eg maps). Logos assumed a literal mouse for zooming, and absent that a keyboard. So to zoom the images, you need to use a screen-based keyboard and hope the key-combination of control +/- is feasible.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:08 AM

Thank you very much for detailed answer.

I undestand the necessity of stylus but I thought it would be nice if one could use finger movement across the text sub-window (up-down or down -up) to scroll the text Smile Maybe Logos incorporate such function in future...

I would like to ask another two questions - this time about virtual keyboard:

1) Is there any other way how to launch virtual keyboard on tablet except from clicking the icon on task bar? 

2) How to use F keys? (e.g. F11 to switch LOGOS to full screen reading mode) - virtual keyboards of Win 8 don't have F keys

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:25 AM

Your next 2 questions are interesting.

A lot of software authomatically place a small keyboard icon near text entry when you're using a touch-screen. Logos doesn't appear to have this capability or even know what you're using. Depending on the manufacturer, the stylus driver can provide a placable icon you can put on your front-page. That's what I have.

F-keys are a major headache, and so are special key combinations. You're very dependent on the screen keyboard. Some software provides their own keyboard, which I've sometimes had to use for other software not supported properly. You may be able to do this with Logos.  I don't use the reading mode since it doesn't allow the menus (needed for 'touching').

This latter point is also a headache. On mobiles, most Bible software provides a lookup panel to enter the Bible reference. In Logos, it's the tedious 'typing' with your fingers.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:43 AM

OK, seems LOGOS is not very optimized for tablets so far Smile

I plan to use tablet with LOGOS mainly for reading with highlighting text. Unfortunatelly highlighting is performed by touching letter on keyboard so I think frequent higlighting wil not be very ergonomic on tablet :-(

I am curious if LOGOS team is planing to add some features for tablet users in near future...

Posts 3153
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:55 AM

Pavel Škoda:

OK, seems LOGOS is not very optimized for tablets so far Smile

I plan to use tablet with LOGOS mainly for reading with highlighting text. Unfortunatelly highlighting is performed by touching letter on keyboard so I think frequent higlighting wil not be very ergonomic on tablet :-(

I am curious if LOGOS team is planing to add some features for tablet users in near future...

You can use the full capacity of Logos in Surface pro, which is due to be realesed in January 2013.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9
Tony L. Wilhelm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:17 AM

Pavel,

i have a Samsung Series 7 Slate (Windows 8) with Logos 5 installed.   You "can" use your finger to scroll...depending on your screen layout.  However, it is just as easy to use the digitizer pen (comes with the Series 7 Slate) to click on the scroll up/down arrows.  i used an iPad, but switched to the Slate because i wanted full functionality of Logos on my tablet. 

i am extremely happy to have the full capability and functionality of Logos no matter where i go with my tablet.

Good Luck!

God Bless,

tony

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:44 AM

I may be misunderstanding the conversation, but here are my thoughts:

I use an Android tablet, and I really don't have an issue with using my finger except with the littler circle X in ht search bar.  

Your expectations in using a tablet version of Logos should not be on par with the PC version.  You can highlight, copy, read, and do some searching, but it can't replace your pc.

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:49 AM

Thanks to all for answers.

Just to clartify: I need full features of Logos on my Tablet (reading: cca 75% of time, searching, using lexicons, etc: 25% of times)

To Tony: good news for me :-) I would like to ask you another question if possible: Slate 7 has 11,6" and 1366 x 768 screen resolution. Based on your own experience: would you prefer 10,6" and 1920x1080 (e.g. MS Surface Pro) or not? I am suspect that text and especially controll items will be too small (combination of better resolution and smaller display) for ergonomic work. What is your opinion?

Posts 9
Tony L. Wilhelm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 2:55 PM

Pavel,

My personal opinion...it would be too small since i have a ton open on by Logos screen.  i have three main panes open, one for Bibles, one for commentaries, and one open for Lexicons, Info window, Bible dictionaries.  Honestly, i could wouldnt mind if it was a little larger, although it fits nicely with a legal-sized padfolio right now.

i am very pleased with it and utilize it many-many hours each day!

Hope that helps Brother!

God Bless,

Posts 9
Tony L. Wilhelm | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 3:01 PM

P.S.  a "Windows" tablet has the same functionality of a desktop with Logos...searching, word study, etc.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 5:13 PM

I use L5 on my iPad by way of remote login.  I do have a different layout for using L5 on the tablet.  Don't have enough screen room to view all the resources I like to have open, but I can have multiple windows open with L5 resources in each one and switch back and forth between them via the task bar..  I can still have a very effective study though and I can scroll with my finger.  That's not an issue.  I have access to all of L5's features right there on my iPad.  The surface would be just as effective.  It's not quite the same as a multiple monitor setup.  But from the comfort of my recliner, I can access every feature of L5 & L3 for that matter.  Not a bad deal.

Posts 73
Pavel Škoda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:41 PM

Thanks to all again for sharing ideas & opinions.

Can't wait to have my own tablet Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS